More officials on the field for 2003 WWC

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by FearM9, Oct 2, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Just saw this on the USA Today site....

What would be the job of the extra AR behind the goal line?

2. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Um I don't know... How about to catch a HAND BALL in the box.(yeah thats right i'm still bitter) When the ref or linesmen doesn't have a good angle these new guys can make the call.

I'm actually surprised. During the WC the spanish broadcasters talked at lenght about a proposal that would put a second ref on the field. Supposedly there was going to be one ref in each half of the field. i guess they thought this was a better option. The ref can get in the way sometimes, and a lot of calls are blown because they can't catch up to the play. Was this ever mentioned in the english broadcasts?

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    So how would the goal line AR decide which side of the goal to be on? With AR's they tend to stick right to the sideline and run up and down it throughout a match. But a goal line AR can't really do that cuz the damn goal impedes their path. Or is there gonna be a total of four goal line AR's...one for each side of the goal???????

:confused:

4. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    this sounds like my idea, i wrote a tread in the espn message board right after US-GERMANY WC quarter's final, it was about penalty that should've been given to US for a hand ball by german's defender but the reff did not see it, so i thought it would be a great idea to put one reff assistent behind the goal or somewhere around the back line. well, i think someone read my tread, i'm so proud of myself for contributing something to FIFA.

5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Unless FIFA actually changes the laws I cannot see any reason for this.

There will still be ONLY one person making all the calls on the field, the referee. The assistant referees ONLY advise they make NO calls at all and the referee is under no obligation to follow their advice.

Every call that is made is "In the opinion of the referee" and that is the problem.

"Handling the ball" is one example. There is no such rule as "Hand Ball" by the way. To be a violation the player must INTENTIONALLY play the ball with their hand "In the opinion of the referee." NO opinion counts on the field except the referees; not the assistants, not the fourth official, not the fans, not even the president of FIFA. Extra assistants will not give the referee more opinions nor will placing assistants BEHIND the goals do any good for determining if a ball is over the end line for a goal or corner or goal kick, the view angle is wrong.

FIFA is, usually, very good about not tinkering with the game simply for the sake of tinkering but this seems to be a case where their usual good hands off policy has been replaced by a lets do something stupid policy.

6. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Uh, if the linesman or goal judge clearly have a better view of a play, the ref will go with their call every time. He/she can choose to ignore them, but why if they are 5 yards from the play and the ref is 40?

Adding two end-linesman probably came about from the 2002 WC - Partly for the handball situation in the US-GER match, partly for the ball-going-out call that screwed Spain against Korea, and partly to judge whether a ball crossed the goalline or not.

7. g4m

g4m New Member

Oct 28, 2000
    New Jersey
    this sounds like hockey where there is an official behind the goal to see if the puck crossed the line...not a bad idea...costly to do in club soccer but for big tournaments i wouldnt mind an expirment...as long as they dont have red lights go off whenever goals are scored that is ;)