Pre-match: Montreal Impact - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 7/14) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will San José get its first away win between the two cities since the days of the Montreal Manic?

Will Montreal stand triumphant over the visitors from south of the border?

The Earthquakes staunchly trying to kick start their season? The Impact stubbornly hanging around the playoff line?

Discuss.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game is scheduled to be televised live on both NBC Sports California and NBC Sports California HD at 4:30pm PDT.

• AT&T U-verse
      • NBCS CA: Channel 767
      • NBCS CA HD: Channel 1767
    • Comcast (Bay Area)
      • NBCS CA: Channel 41
      • NBCS CA HD: Channel 721
    • Comcast (Sacramento area)
      • NBCS CA: Channel 34
      • NBCS CA HD: Channel 721
    • DirecTV
      • NBCS CA: Channel 698
      • NBCS CA HD: Channel 698
    • DISH Network
      • NBCS CA: Channel 438
      • NBCS CA HD: Channel 438

I hope that helped. :)

-G

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game will also be broadcast on the radio live on both KNBR 1050 AM (English) and KZSF 1370 AM (Spanish).

-G

4. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Finally, a team we can beat.

5. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't think so. Maybe an unlikely fortunate tie.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal has won 5 of their last 6 games
    They have a better new MLS coach than us (Garde vs Stahre)
    They have one of the best players in the league (Piatti)
    They are at home

Still we have one shot: their recent success has them above the playoff line for the first time all season, so they could let their foot off the gas facing an awful team like ours... trap game! :thumbsup:

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    This is going to be another Loss, this one by more than one goal, we are just not competitive right now. We might have some good players, and I defy anyone to tell me we have good coaching or preparation at this point 18 (of 34) games into the season.

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Guram Kashia be available for this one? Not that it will make a difference in the outcome.

9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hopefully, yes. And hopefully it will make a difference.

10. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Most players, even good ones, need some time to get used to the other players on their team. Guram and the other CB have to coordinate with each other, which means two players have to work well individually and together,

11. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    We are not at the point where we need "coordination" in order to improve. Get a better player first, worry about coordination later.

12. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Jazzy, my point about Guram Kashi is simply that we can't assume he will be a major factor on July 25. (We can hope, but shouldn't be surprised if he isn't. It could take a few games to see what we really have there).
    The July 10 window should bring in a CB (Guram), a left back, and possibly a "real DM". So theoretically the GM and technical director have "better players" coming in. Which means someone will be leaving the roster as well.

markmcf8 repped this.
  13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Ned, my thinking is that in order for him to be a real impact player, he'd have to be very clearly very good. Usually you can tell if a guy is a going to be a real good player right off the bat. If he looks kind of "meh", and the rationalizations start to come out ("He's not used to his teammates yet! Wait until he gets used to MLS! He's thinking ahead of his teammates!") you are probably in trouble. I remember hearing that stuff about guys like Innocent, Djalo, and Tressor Moreno.

Sure there is some "getting used to teammates" but in my mind that's the last 10%. The other 90% is just simply how good you are. He's taken a bit of a downturn in the last few years, but remember when Godoy almost literally got off the plane from central America and was an immediate presence for the Quakes in his first game in 2015? He was one of the best players on the team for the next few years. Maybe a better example is Darren Huckerby. He was electric from the get-go. You can normally tell right away - the truly good ones make an immediate impact.

I think it's possible that Kashia will be that kind of player. We'll see.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yeah, what ever happened to that guy?

futbolloco repped this.
  15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, he wasn't. Huckerby's first game for the Quakes was in Toronto. I was there. Scoreless draw. Hucks looked disoriented. Joe Cannon saved a PK to preserve the result.

16. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    That is not how I remembered it at all. He looked good from the get-go, and I think that was the general impression.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The guy I remember looking really good that game was Kelly Gray.

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Comments were about 80% positive on Hucks after that game. There some discussion about the turf field, and that he was not 90' fit. But he did reasonably well. In any case, the Quakes went on quite a run that year shortly after Hucks, Lima, and Sealy (yes, Seals!) started playing for the Quakes, and Hucks had 6g, 4a, in 14 games that year, which is very good production. He was a star who burned brightly but alas rather briefly due to nagging injuries.

19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm so happy for the players, getting an international trip. Montreal is a beautiful city with great food and lots of late night activities, and if you squint, you could almost pretend you're in France because...everyone speaks French! Poutine, bagels, the markets. Too bad you're going to have to interrupt your adventure for a couple of hours of soccer, but there's a fun if somewhat dated natural history museum that might help cheer you up.

Beerking repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From what I understand, the players usually don't bother, or in some cases aren't allowed, to experience the cities they play in.

As for the natural history museum, I prefer the Montreal Canadiens' museum in the basement of the Bell Centre. And they primarily speak English in and around McGill.

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ok, Don. Almost everyone is bilingual. But, as many photos attest, the players absolutely do roam around the cities, assuming they have time. I doubt they will choose to visit any museums, but gotta try the poutine.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm going to bet KMJvet recommends they stay away from the poutine. :)

markmcf8 repped this.
  23. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    upload_2018-7-9_12-19-58.png

I believe this is the first full-MLS Quakes match refereed by local boy Joe Dickerson (Los Gatos).

mjlee22 and don gagliardi repped this.
  24. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    We're going to win this game guys, the Frogs have to play on Wednesday so they'll be tired. And, I'm sorry to say, we'll probably win this game and save Stahre's job for him. :(

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Quakes are going to lose this game, and Stahre is going to keep his job.

futbolloco and markmcf8 repped this.