Mongolia

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by Gerrit, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    One of the countries that has always fascinated me a lot is Mongolia. The beautiful nature, the desolateness, the culture, ... I hope to spend some months in Ulaan Bator if I ever have the chance.

Because of my interest in the country I also started showing interest in the football. But the Mongolian football is not present at all on the internet (or used to be very little) and the Mongolian FA does not reply to any emails.

Does anyone know a bit of the league in Mongolia ? Given the big distances, lack of intercity transport facilities and nomadic population outside of the capital, I take that almost all clubs are based in Ulaan Bator ??
    How should I picture the Mongolian stadiums ? Do games get attended well or is there little interest in football ?

Also, a personal idea that may be not realistic, but still... Maybe Mongolia should ask the Russian FA to enter a club in the Russian league. Ulaan Bator is a big enough city and is connected well to the main Russian cities via the Transsyberian railway and via air. The team could stir up public interest in football in Mongolia itself, and it would add a team from the Far East to the Russian league (while now apart from Vladivostok all clubs in the higher divisions come from West or Central Russia)

2. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    i hate to say this to you

But mongolia really has fallen off the world map after the 1200's after Ghengis Khan's death.

3. Holyjoe

Holyjoe Member

Jul 15, 2003
    ROK/SCO
    Can't help out with too much information, but the following links should give you a wee insight into the league.

The 2004 season and club lists:
    http://www.rsssf.com/tablesm/mong04.html

This is a photo of a stadium in Ulaanbaatur, but they're not playing football ;)

[​IMG]

4. taegukgi2004

taegukgi2004 New Member

Jan 10, 2005

no fking way tomohiro...are you sure...i need sources right now....I think one of his offspring is currenlty plaing for german NT and bayern munich as a goal keeper....but, i think he choose to play for germany instead of mongolia.....lol

5. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    They should take up horse-archery again and terrorise the world ;)

I remember seeing this doco where an old guy, no teeth, was shooting a sheep carcass at high trajectory .. all the arrows fell within 1 meter of the carcass :eek:, and worst of all I got the feeling that this was regarded too easy for younger fellows (hence the old guy doing it) :eek:

Shame for them they didn't have any worthwhile leaders after the batch following Ghengis Khan ..

6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um.. I hate to dissapoint you guys but the Mongolian national team is currently ranked 183 (out of 205 countries) in the world, behind Guyana, Central African Republic, and Belize. It is probably the last place in the world to see good football. I know the Maldives beat them 12-0 in the last world cup qualifiers.

You might want to try this former Portuguese colony in South America called Brazil. I heard they play football there and can beat Mongolia.

7. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    I don't care that much about good football. Very amateuristic soccer can be just as interesting, it's all about the atmosphere and romance behind it really. Discovering a new country and league like Mongolia is so much more interesting than seeing the same star players over and over again in the Spanish or Italian league...

Mongolia lost to Maldives 12-0 and 0-1 at home. Their FA used to be seated in a local youth meeting place :eek: and they had a hotmail.com address for contacts. Very amateur-wise so, but they moved to an own headquarter afterwards. They don't answer any emails though... :(

8. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    Actually DSK. there was...that one guy...hmm..who was it.

Oh yes, Tamerlane, greatest mongol leader after Ghengis.

9. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Read his so called autobiography, interesting fella. Oh and its a great read.

10. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    For what it's worth, this is FIFA's "summary" of Mongolia on www.fifa.com:

Having just joined FIFA in 1998 Mongolia has traditionally been known as a country more devoted to horseback riding than football. The results in their first FIFA World Cup™ qualifying campaign certainly bear this out.

In the run up to Asia's first finals, Mongolia suffered five consecutive defeats in their preliminary group that included Saudi Arabia, Vietnam SR and Bangladesh. Mongolia earned their first point in an exciting 2-2 draw with the Bangladeshis -- Bold Buman-Uchral equalised the match in the 94th minute for the Mongolians.

Some progress has since been made with this team over recent years. Besides their perseverance and physical energy, the players have shown improvement with tactics and technique. In the qualifying preliminaries for 2004 Asian Cup, they beat Guam impressively 5-0 (Ganbaatar Tugsbayer scored a hat-trick), though they were still eliminated by Bhutan, who they held to a scoreless draw, on goal difference.

The side will have to continue to focus on the future at least at the highest international level after being eliminated by the Maldives in the Germany '06 preliminaries. A positive performance in a 1-0 home loss to the Maldives gave way to a disheartening 11-goal rampage in the second leg in Male. A sad ending to what was hoped to be a longer competition.

What language are you sending the emails in? If it's not Mongol, then maybe they just can't read what you have sent so they don't reply. I know if someone sent me an email in a language I don't speak, I'd probably just delete it because I wouldn't be able to read it.

11. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    I visited Mongolia in 1984, after FINALLY getting my itinerary approved by Zhuulchin, the state travel bureau. There was no embassy in the US at the time so I got the visa in London. The "Ambassador"-one guy in as Kensington browstone- gave me the visa even though he had not gotten the requisite wire from Ulan Baator. He didn't have to do it but he did me a favor.
    It was very interesting and I would love to go back. I took the train from Irkutsk to Ulan Bataar, stayed 2 days, then took the train across the Gobi Desert to Beijing.
    Ulan Bataar looks like a Russian city. It is modern and sterile. People were nice and some people spoke English. There is a very tradiional lamasery in the suburbs. Worth a visit.
    I was just watching NHK Japanese TV and they were interviewing a Mongolian sumo wrestler. There are a couple of them in Japan now and I believe one is a yokozuna, or grand champion.
    Mongolians are known as great wrestlers. I believe a Mongol medalled at the Olympics a few years ago. Village wrestling festivals are a big event.
    I can't recall any kids playing soccer. Everywhere I went there was a bit of a sensation as people on the street seemed to have never seen a western tourist before. Most tourists go to Mongolia to hunt big game.
    It is well worth a visit but don't go in winter. It is very cold. The train across the Gobi is something. The stars look close enough to touch!
    Oh, by the way, I don't think Tamburlane, or Timur the Lame, was Mongolian. I think we was Uzbek. His nephew, Ulug-bek, theorized the existence of a round earth and a solar system 16 years before Copernicus. I have been to the Ulug-bek Observatory in Samarkand. Not much to see but the Tamburlane Memorial is something special.
    I suspect I have some Mongolian blood in me, as most Irish Catholics do. Blue birth marks are a marker of a distant Mongol ancestor.

12. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    In English. But this was the official contact email address for the Mongolian FA, as stated on fifa.com
    So I guess someone must understand English there for the contacts with the FIFA and Asian Federation. So I still am a bit disappointed that they didn't even reply to my e-mail...

13. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Yes, forgot about him .. he's a pretty spectacular guy, including the way his empire collapsed after his death.

Actually, there was Babur after Timur. He was the last central asian empire builder and founded the Mughal empire, which lasted until the British Raj was created ..

Aparently Babur was the next best thing after sliced bread :)

14. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Actually the mongol empire flourished for a hundred years or so even after the Khan's death, and got even bigger before it fell apart into several smaller kingdoms.

15. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    No one seems to pick up my proposal of a Mongolian professional team (based in Ulan Bator) competing in the Russian league... I think it could boost Mongolian football and public interest in football when professional famous Russian clubs come to play, transport is easy via the Transsiberian Railway, and Russian league needs some teams from outside the main Moscow-St.Petersburg area's...

16. Karimi_Is_God

Karimi_Is_God New Member

Apr 21, 2005
    Toronto
    ******** Genghis Kahn

17. HakanGS

HakanGS Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Texas & Turkiye
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    I would expect most of the teams to be based in Ulan Batoor. Playing in Russian team would be very hard due to long travel to eastern end of Russia (even flights to Moscow would take 6-7 hours, i guess).

Timur was the emperer of Mongol Empire, although he might have Uzbek blood.

18. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I admire your desires. As I was looking at the picture of their football field, I felt the people there must be different than people like me that live in big urbanized cities. Mongolia might be one of the few places left without air polution and human destruction. You should definately spend a few months there and experiment.

19. jonny63

jonny63 Member+

Feb 17, 2005
    Norway
    Mongolia are unbeaten in the last two matches so they can`t be that bad :D

A draw against Chinese Taipei 0-0 and a win 4-1 against Guam in the EAFF championship this year.

20. Gerrit

Gerrit New Member

May 20, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    I would love to spend some time in Mongolia, problem is that I need cash to survive :( Finding a job there is very difficult, as the market has only few big companies and their jobs go to locals mostly. If you don't speak Mongol, the best bet is charity organisations, but most of their work is voluntarily. I would not expect big pays, as long as it's enough to survive (apartment rent + food) it's okay. I want to travel, not to chase a big career.

I checked some maps of Mongolia, seems 2 other cities (smaller cities) have local leagues or local teams at least, as a soccer stadium is marked on the street plan... Check Lonely Planet's travel guide on Mongolia, three cities have a stadium for sure (one of the three being Ulan Baator)

21. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
  22. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    mongolia and siberia are just about neighbors, correct?

there's a reason the soviets sent people to gulags in siberia

mongolia is itself very uninhabitable, desserts, mountains and really cold weather, but people live there, its definitely an exotic place, and i'd love to go there myself

Fifa just gave about $1mil us dollars to mongolia to build artificial turf fields for everything from professional games to kids tournaments

they don't have a lot of money, pretty poor nation, and a lot of people still live much the way they did 100's of years ago, except now there's running water and wat not here and there, but the cities are definitely modern

23. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Worldstadiums.com... Ulan Bataar's National Sports Stadium:

[​IMG]

I admire the fact that you want to go there. Maybe you could do something and maybe create an amateur league if you are ambitious enough. You'll earn fame in Mongolia for sure.

I have a friend from Ulan Bataar. You'll be surprised about the city, it is very modern and hip. He showed me pics of dance clubs in Mongolia and they look very trendy. If you go there, there will be culture shock, but it probably won't be as bad as you think (and you will probably think EXTREME CULTURE SHOCK before you get there), but the language barrier will probably be just the biggest one by far.

24. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
  25. Those God damn Mongolians plundered & destroyed my Baghdad a few hundred years back :mad:

Savage, uneducated, horse riding, barbarians! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]