News: Monday , July 24 , 2017

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and a Happy Pioneer Day to one and all... :)

Soccerglue, Sachsen, Gamecock14 and 2 others repped this.
  3. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS rebuffs rich offer tied to relegation
    sportsbusinesdaily
    "
    MP & Silva would pay $4B for 10-year global media rights deal, but league isn’t interested"
    I don't have sub to SBD, it sounds tho a good article..

Zoidberg repped this.
  4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Someone has to give the full run down of that article.

Breaks down to a little under 15 mill per team per year....at 28 teams. Need to know the details because in my experience reported info after the fact is rarely 100% accurate.

Would be fun to see what it is about.

I will say this about Silva....he truly understands what this can turn into, and he is trying to get in on it in some way or form.

5. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Silva should just offer that money to Ted Westervelt. Ted and friends will put MLS out of business in no time.

esc0, jaykoz3, Stuart95 and 9 others repped this.
  6. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm sure this will drive pro/rel twitter batty (sure it already has). But when the league receives an offer like that they have to ask themselves what's driving it on behalf of the bidder. Because if it is a matter of moral belief rather than a business case for sustained revenues on MP&S's part, then the league would have to look at it as unsustainable.

jaykoz3 and onefineesq repped this.
  7. argo15

argo15 Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

esc0, jaykoz3, Stuart95 and 15 others repped this.
  8. Egbert Sousé

Egbert Sousé Member

NYCFC
    May 25, 2013
    nyc
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anybody get to read the article? I can't comment because I can't read it, but my first reaction is it's merely nothing but more NASL bull shit.

sitruc, Onionrings, ArsenalMetro and 2 others repped this.
  9. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006

No different than his Deloitte report where the findings said pro/rel would increase rev........then sneak in at the end that the league and US infrastructure wasn't near ready yet....and no time frames were given for when it might be. Better believe they gave one, but it wasn't worth releasing because it was to far away.;)

I guess Silva has given up on his TransContinental Cup scheme.:p

Soccerglue and jayd8888 repped this.
  10. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Haven't seen the complete article either; but yea, generally when you get a, "I'm going to give you a bunch of money but I want you to change the way you do things." you need to step back a bit...

11. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Sure...but this stuff is fun! Silva taking over the Cosmos role.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just for giggles...

USSF: "Okay. We start after this season. MLS will be top flight, USL will be D2, and NASL will be D3. BTW, Beckham's Miami team gets to start in MLS next season.

Cheers.
    "

jaykoz3 and Soccerglue repped this.
  13. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not a bunch of money but 4 billion dollars and that's a plane load of money ..

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    From what I've gathered on other boards:

- No formal idea how this reconciles the whole of the SUM deals and USMNT broadcasts, but it's as much about getting control of broadcast rights as it is any possibility of instituting pro/rel.

- The deal would place MLS on beIn sport. MP & Silva could sell rights to other partners but they alone would see any return.

- This could tie in with efforts to secure other leagues in the Americas and get back to Silva's past attempts at a joint CL for CONMEBOL and CONCACAF.

Gamecock14, billf, JasonMa and 2 others repped this.
  15. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    The guy sees the $$$$$$$$$$$$$......and he wants in.

All he has to do now is hire Kessler and threaten lawsuits.

Remember folks.....when it comes to SA they need and want us, just like they need and want Mexico. It's not the other way around. This isn't about soccer history and culture, blah, blah, blah.....it's about Yankee and Mex money. Nothin more, nothing less.

Pro/rel is just a red herring, and comp with SA is also.

jaykoz3 and Soccerglue repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, now my social media feeds are going to be full of pro/rel nonsense for the next week

Stuart95, Onionrings, Cirris and 3 others repped this.
  17. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    DONT FEED TED YOU ASSHOLE!!!!

18. Guardian of the Galaxy

Dec 7, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the problem is timing one, per MLS , they cannot enter into negotiations while under a current agreement. I'm sure this will be revisited. But it sounds not necessarily a monetary or pro/rel matter.

19. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ....or a cheap attention grab. Just like the Deloitte report.

20. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    For years Ted and Ben Fast have been saying there's no way MLS has lost/invested even $1billion since 1996. Begs the question - why would Silva spend the $4b and turn NASL into D1?

Soccerglue repped this.
  21. footballfantatic

Mar 27, 2008
    Ontario, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the surface I completely agree, but if someone is offering 4 billion they can certainly pay off the current contract plus extra. If this does happen, BeIn Will never get the viewership numbers they think they will.

They would need to get deals with ESPN,fox, or NBC much like the current one with Telemundo. It is not impossible to get this done! The best thing about the league is that it is all one entity. They can come up with ways to compensate relegated teams.

22. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    ....because pro/rel would unleash all that untapped potential and investors would come flocking in. Ted is gonna say that this is what MLS could be worth and look how they are holding the game back! A true visionary like Silva is needed but MLS/USSF will hold him back and keep the game shackled here.

Gotta get with the program.;)

23. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    #25 Zoidberg, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Question is...how are they offering that 4 billion? Is it based on future advertiser rights alone? How liquid are they? What happens if they can't recoup the money through advertising rights every year? What happens then? How reputable are these guys? Will they honor their commitment? Do they have the money or do they just walk away? Common outside of the US folks....especially down south.

Ha...third party shenanigans...just what we need. Silva is a funny one. We have Cosmos 2.0 here.

Need to steer clear of guys like this.