Monday 24 Sep 2018

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Stuart95, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armchair Analyst: The whole weekend in review from MLS Week 30
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/09/23/armchair-analyst-whole-weekend-review-mls-week-30

LA Galaxy 3, Seattle Sounders 0 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/09/23/la-galaxy-3-seattle-sounders-0-2018-mls-match-recap

Galaxy beat Sounders for Kinnear's 1st win as interim coach
    https://www.lmtonline.com/sports/article/Galaxy-beat-Sounders-for-Kinnear-s-1st-win-as-13252131.php

Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1, FC Dallas 2 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/09/23/vancouver-whitecaps-fc-1-fc-dallas-2-2018-mls-match-recap

FC Dallas 2, Whitecaps 1: Late goal guts Caps' playoff chances
    https://theprovince.com/sports/socc...itecaps-1-late-goal-guts-caps-playoff-chances

Philadelphia Union 2, Sporting Kansas City 0 | 2018 MLS Match Recap
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...nion-2-sporting-kansas-city-0-2018-mls-match-recap

Wasteful Sporting KC drops away game to surging Union
    https://www.thebluetestament.com/20...-sporting-kc-drops-away-game-to-surging-union

Goal-scoring woes continue to plague New York City FC
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/ne...ing-woes-continue-to-plague-new-york-city-fc/

Bastian Schweinsteiger laments call: ‘here it’s not like in Europe’
    https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/ch...insteiger-laments-call-here-its-not-like-in-europe/

Beckham wants Zidane: ex-Real Madrid boss holds talks over Inter Miami role
    http://www.theweek.co.uk/football/96666/mls-inter-miami-david-beckham-zinedine-zidane-lionel-messi

LAFC embracing opportunity to start academy from scratch
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/09/23/lafc-embracing-opportunity-start-academy-scratch

asoc, jayd8888, falvo and 1 other person repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Interesting about Zidane in Miami. Would love to see how he does in MLS...

3. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully better than Gullit.

4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Or Stahre! Hahahahaha!

5. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miami is definitely going old school MLS 2.0 with talk of Messi and Ronaldo joining the team with Zidane as a coach. Signing aging players looks like it's coming to an end in MLS but these two on the same team would definitely be something I like to see. I believe if they could sign Zidane as a coach it might move the needle a little towards that happening. Meanwhile the stadium is the biggest piece of the puzzle right now and is there a temporary stadium with grass to play on to attract such players who might find turf as a deal breaker?

Interestingly enough these rumors run right into the new CBA and probably the opening talks on a new tv contract. Miami would probably be the last "glamour" expansion team to join MLS with the city being able to attract high profile players like New York and L.A. and an ownership group willing to spend big on players. Kind of creates the perfect storm for trying to increase revenue when negotiating with T.V. partners but a bit of a quandary when negotiating a new CBA.

Let the rumors fly!

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It would be nice to see Miami begin next year instead of waiting until 2020. If they have to play in a temporary venue anyway, don’t see why they can’t start sooner rather than later. That was what Atlanta did and I believe Cincy is doing the same.

7. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

Do not let Miami repeat the mistakes (that is some ways we're still paying for) of the fast launch of Minnesota United in 2017.

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Older guys that can still play seem to work fine. Beckham, Schelotto, Blanco, Henry, Villa, Ibra.

Crooked, jaykoz3, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Beckham didn't do much in his first two years. As a matter of fact, in any other league in the world, Galaxy will have been relegated in Becks first full year or the 2008 season....
    upload_2018-9-24_11-48-51.png

Kaka also didn't do all that much for his team and this is another reason they may as well start next season instead of waiting yet another year....

10. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    It would not be MLS with out some grave snatching.

11. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they can't get relegated? Please explain...

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #12 falvo, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    No I was responding to the comment where older guy can still play. My point is/was, he didn't do anything to help his team when he arrived nor did he turn the team around regardless of his age , experience and/or huge contract.

13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with this statement is that 2008 was also Beckham's best seasons with the team, so it isn't logical to say he didn't help his team just because of their position on the standings..

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #14 falvo, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    His performance certainly didn't turn the team around. He went to AC Milan the very next year and stayed until June /July. The next season he went back to Milan on loan, got injured for both club and country playing only 7 games for LA in 2010. Maybe he helped in marketing, selling tickets or raised the team and the leagues profile. On the field though, I still didn't see how great he was or how his overwhelming presence did much for the Galaxy during that time or rather in his first 3 years in the league. Robbie Keane on the other hand , was a different story.

15. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is such a thing as being a good player on a bad team... I'm not sure you can say that Beckham didn't help the Galaxy in 2008 just because the team was bad that season.. Granted, you can blame Beckham's team for Ruud Gullit, but on the field the Galaxy were better with Beckham than without.

Crooked repped this.
  16. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree but now we also see younger TAM and DP players as well, plus more emphasis on growing academy players.

17. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a little too late to build a team from scratch since they would have to be ready to go in less than six months. They don't even have a stadium to play in yet. Besides Cincinnati is already building their team and have a stadium to start in.

falvo repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That’s true but Minnesota did. I don’t think they used many of their USL players. Maybe a few but not an entire roster.

Either way, next year this time they will have to build a team from scratch. They will be signing players coming from all sorts of different backgrounds, clubs and leagues.

19. wantmlsphilly

wantmlsphilly Member+

Aug 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, but have the foundation of a stadium, coach, GM....something to sell to players. Give them time to figure out salary budget and a chance to scout college players for the draft. They just hired a President of operations too finish off the stadium and find a temporary home. Looks like coach is next on the radar, which makes sense.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Guess you are right. He has had 12 years since he signed initially and was given the team and 6 since retiring as a player so I guess one more year won’t hurt.

21. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to mention Drogba, who was Impactful ;) for the short time he was around. I did not realize that when he left Montreal he ended up at Phoenix Rising.

Ismitje repped this.
  22. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ibarra, Ramirez, Ibson, Vanegas, Davis, Kallman and Jome.

Seven. Four were starters.

Seven was too many. Add the less than profitable signals mgs from Scandinavia (only Schuller remains from that bunch) and it was a disaster.

Thankfully we were able to fleece Colorado's front office for Burch and Cronin, or we might not have won a game. :)

No, give Miami a year. Atlanta had that year. Look what happened.

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Minnesota should take the Quakes Scandinavian players! Please! :D

24. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um...no.

25. I Touchdown There

Med
    United States
    Jun 15, 2017
    Zidane has already proven he can coach. Gullit never had. Not really an apt comparison.