Monchi See Monchi Do

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Sell list (in order)

1. Dzeko
    2. Strootman
    3. SES
    4. Ninja

Get what you can (thanks Walter):

1. Iturbe
    2. Bruno
    3. Jesus

Don't care (make your money back Monchi):

1) Gonalons

Move 2-5 of these dudes , and we'll be fine. Hell , move em' all and I won't care that much.

2. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    He did, damn it. We are linked to Lenglet, I never saw him play.

3. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Me either , Monchi would know him inside out, though.

He's spent money on talented youth at : ST, RW, CM, RB.

And we've been linked with a CB, CDM/CB, GK, CM/CAM from what I can gather.

That leaves LW and LB (depending on Silva , I suppose).

4. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Pjanic wouldnt have had any playing time at PSG imo he was smart enough to know that. That is why when Juve came calling, he didnt think twice.

Ninja is here only because he loves the city and the team.

All im saying is the management, up until now, havent shown any real balls when players insinuate they wanted to leave. I do understand that its not always beneficial to keep players contrary to their will but i would like us to have a bit more character when it comes to selling our best and most promising players.

We seem so passive when it comes to negotiating. I dont have a lot of material to evaluate Monchi yet but i have been very disappointed with the Emerson sale especially for the super low amount that we gave him up for.

I would like us to be more strict about selling our best players and if those players really want to move on, then lets make the other team pay their heart out for them.

5. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Im interested to know your opinion on this,

do you think Juve would have been so dominant during the past 15-20 years, barring calciopoli, if they didnt have Buffon and instead had an average keeper?

6. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The old saying of winning teams being built on defense first. Finding top quality goalkeepers is like finding a needle in a haystack. We wont ever find a keeper as good as Alisson. I'll say that now with confidence. This guy will go down as a great, a guy you build a team on top off.

wm72, shiboboo, Shen-O and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    For the millionth time , we had no leverage, and when Monchi took the job he had less than no leverage (whatever the term is for that).

Walter left the books in shit. Worse than shit.

Monchi wanted to make top 4 and had to deal with FFP. It sucks, but Emerson was our backup. And Monchi got another one while saving 20 million plus.

If you want to be disappointed point your finger at the chain smoking Bond villain and the paranoid bald guy underachieving in Milan.

8. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Anyone else kinda like Samir on Udinese?

Am I crazy?

9. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I do think Buffon had a big role in their dominance, they only lost the scudetto to us when Van Der Sar was crap for them, they solved that immediately by signing Buffon.

I also think Roma would have at least one more scudetto had they managed to sign him. Buffon confirmed he was very close to joining Roma more than once, 2012 is well known, but less known is that in 2006 he did want to join Totti at Roma but Rosella couldn't afford it.

Marco9 repped this.
  10. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    we got 50M for Salah, 38M for Rudiger, 25M for Paredes and the future CL money from advancing.

I wouldnt classify the Emerson sale as a necessity. I think it was something like Chelsea came on knocking and Monchi obliged with a weak price sale because like you're saying he was a back up.

But, i simply do not see it that way, imo Kolarov is the back up for now and Emerson was supposed to be the future.

I dont think we needed to make that sale right now. Instead, i would have waited, eased Emerson back in the starting line up, and if we really needed to sell him in the summer, his price tag could have been a lot more than the 20M + 8M in bonuses especially if you consider that Van Dijk got sold for 75M sterling...

Java65 repped this.
  11. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Alright man, I don't feel like going down this road again. You're just wrong.

@Salmeen10 , here's your Alisson replacement, stop bellyaching : https://www.football-italia.net/117451/casillas-eager-serie-move

Here's another tasty rumour : https://www.football-italia.net/117266/roma-target-nacho-fernandez

12. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I'm fine with us selling AB, as long as it's for an astronomical fee. One we simply could not refuse. Anything else would be a travesty.

13. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree but by the time you get the other pieces around him he'll be gone. A GK will only has so much impact on a game and if other parts of your team are struggling your GK can't impact it.

The example is right in front of us. Alisson played fantastic throughout Dec and Jan, the best GK in the league, and this team dropped massive amounts of points.

Then go look at the top of the table with Napoli. Reina is a fine GK but he's not world class and Napoli are fighting for a scudetto.

GK just don't impact a game enough to justify passing up 45+ mil and then having to sell other pieces. Sure those players aren't as good but their impact on a game/season is much, much greater.

14. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I absolutely do. Maybe not an average GK but I think a very good GK as opposed to a wc GK.

Maybe they drop a few points along the way but I think they still win the league. I think RM did it with Casillas and Navas. Very good GKs but not WC IMO.

Man City are running away with the EPL and doing it with a guy that is backing up Alisson on the NT.

Bayern are running away with the Bundesliga with an average GK.

Napoli is winning SA with Reina.

I don't think you can win with any GK but I think if you build a team like Napoli has and Skorupski is your GK you'll be better off as a team.

edit. Also, look at Roma the previous 4 years. No Alisson but those teams were far better than this one.

15. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, the Emerson sale is where I threw in the white towel. I had hoped the new Roma JP had built was going to be different but its not really. We sold a LB proved to be one of the best LB in the league last year and linked with (and sold to) much bigger clubs and replaced him with an injured guy that is the same age and that's played very little in 2 years.

Maybe it's FFP, maybe it's JP giving up. I don't know, but the sale of Emerson was all about money... same old Roma.

16. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I agree with you here to a point. (Not the 45 million bit! If AB is sold it must be for the kind of fee that we simply cannot refuse for a GK, and if he goes I believe it will be for 60 plus.)

But yes, what team is going to do better? The quality outfield 10 with an average GK or the average outfield 10 with a world class GK? The answer is of course obvious.

Java65 repped this.
  17. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    45 mil would be the second highest fee paid for a GK. Buffons 50+ mil is the record. GK just don't sell for that kind of money. Even guys like Cech and Neuer didn't bring 45 mil... that's a tremendous amount for a GK.

18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #194 Big Bad Wolf, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    It's a different market now. I think we'll be able to and will play hardball if the interest is there. I dont see AB going for less than 60 with a decent potential bonus in there too. (Assuming we finish top 4).

20. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    you're looking at it from the wrong perspective imo

where would we be this season if we didn't have Alisson? We're 3rd and only separated by 1 and 2 points from the 4th and 5th team respectively.

Alisson has certainly saved more than 2 points for us this season and there is your direct impact

I understand that you would rather focus on strengthening the other areas before the GK because it would bring more success in your opinion, but a great goalkeeper doesn't just save points by himself, but makes the whole defense and the whole team play better because he offers confidence and stability.

A great Gk offers the option for your team to win 1 nil. How many times have we talked about Handanovic and where Inter would be those last couple years without him.

You want another simple example, dont look further than the juve - spurs game. If Buffon was still at his peak, he saves that Eriksen fk and offers juve a much bigger chance at advancing. That's what a great Gk offers, a whole new opportunity and impact for your team.

21. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Lol, I dunno it seems like we're linked every window. Nacho doesn't make sense a squad player , so unless Manolas is out the door , this doesn't make a ton of sense . I definitely want us to upgrade Jesus, but I'd rather it be with a young player. Nacho is 28.

That being said, I'm not sure I believe it anyways.

22. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I like Juan Jesus after a slow start. We had good players in front of him but with a run of games as a starter I think we would have a very good centre back. I hope he stays.

Java65 repped this.
  23. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Yeah.... no. I can see him staying another year, because I think Monchi is going to buy a young stud CB and we need 4. But after that, get rid of the guy.

24. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Why? He's like 26. We don't know how good he could be with a steady run of games. Personally I think he can do what he did on the opening day of the season consistently if he was given the chance. Its just very hard to show your real self when you're in and out of a lineup.

wm72 and Java65 repped this.
  25. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    He's got all the physical attributes you could want for pure defending, but the mental side and his ball playing skills are sub-par, imo.

We can definitely do better. I don't think there's any chance Monchi wanted to spend the agreed 7 million on him , nor the 11 on Bruno this summer. But , here we are.