Monchi See Monchi Do

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    De Rossi hasn't really been a problem this year besides from the one outstanding incident. He's not fast anymore, that's for sure.

Shen-O and Hustle and Flow repped this.
  3. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    at what he does yes absolutely! His job is to close the middle and distribute the play in front of defense which he did to perfection in the 1st half yesterday.

All our problems came from the flanks which i have to question EDFs tactics to not switch to a 352 in the 2nd half to offer more coverage on the flanks and stop their wingers who were molesting Florenzi all game long

La Magica and wm72 repped this.
  4. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think De Rossi is an ex-player and has been for several years. 34 is old for a footballer, at least outside Italy.

Then there is his poor mentality which is not only unhelpful to the team but also sets a poor example to the other players.

LordNelson repped this.
  5. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looking at the big picture I think this team has done well. They're built rigid, aside from the attacking wingers who are much more fluid players.

But I think this summer, Monchi is going to really stamp his design into the first team. I'm expecting a turnover not unlike last summer's.

6. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Wrong.

ErPupone and Salmeen10 repped this.
  7. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Agreed. And thanks for being rational.

Hopefully the turnover we see involves our prime core instead of youth. We've got to move on and stop blaming the coach for a flawed core. They aren't good enough , end of story.

8. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    ----------------------Alisson———————
    Karsdorp— Manolas – Fazio – Kolarov
    -—————-De Rossi/signing————-
    -——-Pellegrini———signing—————
    Under———-Schick/signing———Perotti

Bench:
    Skop
    Capradossi
    CB signing
    LB signing (silva potentially)
    Florenzi
    CDM/CM signing (hopefully de Jong)
    CM/CAM signing (hopefully Coric)
    Gerson
    LW signing,( hopefully Bernard)
    Antonucci
    ST signing (Defrel potentially)

This would be my dream scenario for next season , highly improbable obviously.

9. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    De Rossi AND the backline were remarkable for Roma yesterday 1st half. I was completely shocked to see the backline moving in unison like that. Thats the making of a top team....defensively anyways. De Rossi was fantastic blocking shots in the center. Definitely on the "give EDF more time" bus.

10. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Ninja and Dzeko are causing us problems, they are supposed to be the stars carrying this team, and atm they are far from it. If this continues to May then its time to book them a flight to China.

DDR is the least of our problems, and I have no idea who we can replace him with at his level and not cost a fortune, his kind are a rare breed.

TifosoRoma, -Martin, wm72 and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Hustle and Flow

Hustle and Flow Member+

Roma
    Feb 19, 2018
    Canada
    Anyone who thinks DDR is part of the problem really has no idea how to evaluate that position.

wm72 and Salmeen10 repped this.
  12. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Yeah, I actually think he has been one of our best this year. He is easily the best DM in the league, but for some reason people want him to play as box to box too.

Hustle and Flow repped this.
  13. shiboboo

shiboboo Member+

Nov 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't think his normal play is as much a problem as when he goes off the rails he goes in a big way in terrible moments for the team. I agree he's been very good on the whole this season.

Bigger than his play at this moment though, hesh mentally weak and lake to quit on a play/coach at the drop of a hat.

Wolfbeatseagle repped this.
  14. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    He's 34 now, and he's only had problems with 1 coach in his career, who also had problems with every single veteran player on the team not named Totti. Its way past time for people to let that go.

Hustle and Flow, Marco9 and Vulpinous repped this.
  15. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  16. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seriously, the only positive from this season is our positive CL campaign. De Rossi has been balls for years, do not let your nostalgic feelings come into place.

17. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    967024706825179143 is not a valid tweet id

He would be a complete idiot if he makes this move, I'll be very surprised.

18. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You can't just turn a blind eye to that when he in the centre of the pitch could have been the driving force and been the make or break of the team spirit. If De Rossi committed himself he could have got the team unboard instead of dividing. Like a professional is supposed to do but he chose to huff and that there shows a problem that's existed at Roma for a long time. Totti may have had issues with coaches but he adapted multiple roles and gave it his all on the pitch. I like him but this will always be a black mark against him.

Shen-O and shiboboo repped this.
  19. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    #244 Salmeen10, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Its clear that the problem was with Zeman not DDR. Zeman had problems with everyone and everywhere. DDR, Pjanic, Castan and Burdisso to name a few, only had a problem with Zeman.

That DDR somehow didn't play to his best deliberately is something Roma fans just assume with no evidence. Zeman himself in years after said that he had his issues with DDR but he always gave his best and followed his instructions. He benched him because he thought Taxi was a better Regista than DDR, same as he thought Bradley was better than Pjanic.

He was laughably wrong, both players are still playing at the highest level while he is coaching in Serie B, and nobody hears about Taxi or Bradley anymore.

20. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    No, you're wrong. Key players like De Rossi deciding not to play for the manager make it easy for the others to divide. You chose to ignore that because you like de Rossi but have often times int he past talked about an attitude problem in Roma. Drop the bias ;)

21. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    #246 Salmeen10, Feb 23, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Zeman disagrees with you. There is 0 proof than DDR conspired against the coach, its only a conspiracy theory used to explain away the massive failure that was Zeman.

As I said, DDR is 34, if this was something he would do, it would have happened with other coaches. Find me a single coach that has worked with DDR and have questioned his professionalism, and I'll entertain your theory. Meanwhile, there are 10s of examples on Zeman's terrible man management everywhere he went.

https://www.football-italia.net/101713/de-rossi-zeman-spalletti-and-totti-rows

Hustle and Flow repped this.
  22. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    DDR said at the time he didn't want to play box to box. There was a division between him and wanting to play in the centre like his previous year under LE. Where he got to sit and take it easy. I follow Roma closely and it was evident at the time what was going on. I'm not making that up. That split divides the locker room and the team spirit with it. Resulting in a team with no real desire or unity in the pitch.
    The massive failure, well a certain Walter had a lot to do with those first two years and his comical defensive picks for 2 managers who play with high lines. He was also cut too early and should have been given the season. As for his attitude to the players, yes he's old school and doesn't pamper to the whims of spoiled man childs. That doesn't sit well in today's game.

23. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2018-19 will be his last year, if not this one.

24. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    i understand your point of view but people were quick to forget Totti coming out to the press doing that interview at Trigoria on his relationship with Spalletti.

When players get boxed and perceive that they are treated unfairly, they react. Is it a good healthy reaction, absolutely not but you can't just single out that situation and make it everything that DDR is and has been, its unfair.

La Magica repped this.
  25. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Totti- Spalletti (and possibly DDR) beef goes way back to when Spalletti interviewed for Chelsea mid-season, and the players found out. Some of the folks around here wondered if re-hiring Spalletti was a time bomb because of that.