Monchi Business

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vini Vidi Vici

Italy
    May 21, 2013
    Tivoli / Fiesole / Anywhere Italy w turq water
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If not Paredes & Manolas, who do you guys actually consider could be sold for a big sum of money? Which Roma needs to do? They're bottom of the barrel average, and the sums either will go for are great. The 'nobodies' of the squad combined wouldn't bring in a fee equivalent to just 1 of Paredes or Manolas, and the other players are actually important to the squad.

You can't just add add add players; clubs sell players every season. Is it being suggested that every single senior, or close to XI player, should be retained bar Salah? As if they're good enough? As if they won't waste away their time & value on the bench if the true quality is brought in?

There's no other way to cut it - both of these players are fat needing trimmed off. Not nearly enough has been made of the fact Manolas is a shit PERSON to have in the squad, either. You guys don't believe in chemistry or team bond? You don't want to remove the bad apples?

whill4 and Shen-O repped this.
  2. Vini Vidi Vici

Italy
    May 21, 2013
    Tivoli / Fiesole / Anywhere Italy w turq water
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's hilarious more than anything; a striker, doping, should be getting more than 10 or so goals in an entire season. I don't think he used the substance properly..

3. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's truly amazing we finished 2nd in Serie A and 2nd in goal allowed with so many average players.

4. TheFerryBoat

TheFerryBoat Member

Apr 26, 2016
    Toronto
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't understand what ya'll saying about Parades and Manolas... . Both are young and have a lot of potential. Seems like you all forgot how Manolas started his first ever game for Roma against Juve, and did an amazing job. From that moment on he has been consistent. What's with all the comment that he has no brain? You guys forgot how Varmelen ********ed our chances for CL? Just lol at selling Manolas. Him and Rudiger could've been a special pair. I'm not mad about the sale, just disappointed. And honestly the only way that I will be happy with our defence would be signing Marquinhos again

La Magica, reality7 and romanista8910 repped this.
  5. Midfield General

Jun 14, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or you can wait and see who the replacements are instead of jumping off a bridge.

Salah? OK I can see some hard feelings about this one but Roma did get a good price.

Manolas? The same guy that this board has wanted to crucify for the past 5 months? Yeah... OK. Now he's one of the best defenders in Italy? LOL Fastest? No argument there and thank God for that since it was only his speed that bailed him out of some of the dumbest actual defending one could possibly imagine.

Michael Berk and Shen-O repped this.
  6. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Salah it is 39 plus 5 in bonus'. So Monchi asked 45 and stands to get 44.. not to far off.

7. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    So the market is 30 - 35 mill for an "average" defender?

I agree there are fools everywhere....

paredes is young with what looks like the potential to be a very good player, obviously he is not contributing for a title winning team, yet....

To say that Manolas would be laughed off the pitch on any team in the world is bad hyperbole, lets come back to reality.

La Magica, ErPupone, reality7 and 2 others repped this.
  8. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I'm not completely upset about the sale itself it's the rumored replacements that I'm not happy about. Coupled with the fact we might sell Fazio and our entire back will new.

If they take the money and buy an established CB, ok. If it is one of these kids we have been rumored to be after then I will have an issue.

9. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bothered at all by selling Mano. I hope its him before Rudiger.

10. GamE_Ove12

GamE_Ove12 Member+

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I don't understand why we need to sell Manolas and whether it is an economical or tactical choice. But it is a bizarre decision to say the least.

I thought we only needed 30-35 mil to comply with FFP, which was supposedly achieved by selling Salah. Then we have 50 mil plus from CL to complete the squad, in addition to whatever money we can get selling the scrap.

Pallotta said couple of weeks ago that Juve are like the Celtics or Warriors because they kept a core of players that know each others well and kept adding 1-2 strong players every year. Monchi just said we are not a supermarket. Selling Manolas contradict these statements. There is no way around that.

I would still give Monchi the benefit if the doubt, it is still fairly early. But it is completely reasonable to get worried. Dismantling the team that recorded the highest points in our history and was 4 points away from the scudetto is not a wise approach no matter how you look at it. So far we lost the coach and 3 starters. We are not behaving in any different way than previous years.

But then again.. it is still early. For all we know this all could be just a back up plan in case Salah deal doesn't go through.

11. federicoturano

Aug 7, 2015
    I am very worried also about naples that seems to keep the team intact of last year without selling not even one 'big,

romanista8910 and Java65 repped this.
  12. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This[emoji115][emoji108][emoji122]

davidcaspian and tmontana52 repped this.
  13. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We haven't sold anyone yet. Remember just days ago Rudiger was an Inter player according to the papers.

shiboboo and Oban14 repped this.
  14. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, its official we did sell Salah. ;)

15. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Salah is now official. It still remains to be seen whether it's 39m or 45m.

I'm surprised that we are thinking of selling Manolas too. I hope it's something other than balancing the books that has convinced the club to entertain offers.

I'm getting a little worried as we've already lost 2 starters in Szczesny and Salah. Not saying it's the club's fault - Arsenal want obscene cash for Szcz and Salah had his mind set. But we still lost 2 starters. Possibly a third with Manolas.

I will refrain from judgement until September, when we'll get to see how the team will look like.

17. davidcaspian

davidcaspian Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is jumping off a bridge. I always say that no one is irreplaceable. Just pointing out facts. Don't say we're not a supermarket and then sell two marquee players the following week.

Maybe I didn't follow the board closely enough, but who said Manolas should be crucified? I think a lot of us (me included) figured that Manolas would move on one day based on statements he made when he first signed, but I've never doubted his ability. How is he *not* one of the best defenders in Serie A? He starts on the team that finished second!

I think there is revisionist history going on by here who are in love with Monchi. Manolas has always been a great defender. The three man defense allowed more of Fazio and Rudiger to shine, but in a two-man defense he was always our strongest. And note that EDF does not use a 3 man backline.

I reserve final judgment until the end of the window, but if this is how we're starting then things don't look good. That's not a controversial thing to say. And people should stop pretending that defenders are easy to replace. In this market, it takes a lot of money to get someone who is high quality.

reality7 and romanista8910 repped this.
  18. davidcaspian

davidcaspian Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I posted I had read a report that it was 39m euros total with no bonuses. If that's wrong (and it Well could be) then that's great.

19. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    42m + up to 8m in bonuses. Not bad at all. Pellegrini should be imminent now.

JoãozinhoFutebol repped this.
  20. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly up to 50 mill for Salah. Really can't be upset about that. Later Mo Mo.

La Magica, wm72, shiboboo and 2 others repped this.
  22. davidcaspian

davidcaspian Member

Aug 23, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JoãozinhoFutebol repped this.
  23. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Someone on CdT posted a picture of what now has become Salah's final moment with the Roma jersey. I cannot imagine a better way to say goodbye.

http://imgur.com/a/KmeSx

La Magica, Haakon24, shiboboo and 5 others repped this.
  24. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on Fekir. He's lost a step. He still had a decent last season and is a smart player. I'd take him, but I'm assuming Lyon want too much.

25. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Whatever your feelings about selling Salah, 42 mil with the potential of up to another 8 mil is a pretty good deal.

La Magica, JoãozinhoFutebol and Java65 repped this.