Monchi Business

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    #5901 Hustle and Flo, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    ON the field , sure. Complex planning off it , seems to be beyond their grasp. And I shouldn't just say that's just an issue in Italy-- but you've got to admit , the fandom there is kinda borderline insane at times. It isn't normal. And I think some of the fans don't even want to educate themselves (or aren't smart people) , they just enjoy the outrage.

You're a hockey fan , right? Well , I'm a life-long Leafs fan (why do I torture myself?) and for over 50 years , they were a franchise that refused to rebuild. I'm sure you know the story. They catered to the short termism of the fans and put little-to-no thought into team building/planning.Making the playoffs was enough. Eventually the cap-era began (similar to the spike in transfer money) , and they were left naked in the cold. The lack of planning and being unintelligent whilst catering to the fans , royally fcuked them , once it was required to be smart off the ice.

They were constantly being out smarted by other teams and in a state of being reactive instead of proactive.

Well, finally they decided to do what was necessary in order to win, they hired the best people and minds (seeing the parallels?) they could find and committed to a long-term process. And withstood the inevitable shit storm the media brought down on them.

It was a complete shock , but it was desperately needed.

Throughout the entire rebuild there were fans who couldn't understand what was going on , regardless of how well they understood the actual game of hockey. They hadn't never seen it before , and unless they took the time to look at other teams/methods/plans , it was a completely untrustworthy process they wanted no part of. "Why are we trading our (flawed/overrated) players?" They just couldn't wrap their heads around it. And what's worse , the media preyed on it. The amount of scathing media doubled , as they knew they could sell shit based on the uncertainty doing the right thing creates.

But, some saw through it. Some knew it was what needed to be done and ignored the noise.

Toronto is a city with the worst media in hockey , a crazy fan base, with a hoard of uneducated fans, that has chased out coaches , hall of fame players , and for decades has been one of the worst run clubs in North America , imo.

But the new regime stood firm throughout and didn't cater to the manic nature of fans or media (that plagues Leafs nation more than any other)

All through the rebuild , and even 2 years after the damage was truly done , we have fans that still can't understand what's going on. They still don't understand the need for drafting and developing , they still don't understand why we won't trade future assets for a cup-run this year. They still , after experiencing it firsthand , don't have a clue.

But, like most things that prove to work in life, after we reached the other side of the tunnel , those same uneducated/emotional loose cannon detractors act like they understood the whole time. Which is what will happen with Roma.

wm72 repped this.
  2. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Marco9, Shen-O, wm72 and 3 others repped this.