Monchi Business

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We definitely need to buy someone if Manolas goes. But with Zenit being the only club that was really interested in him last summer I doubt there will be many clubs willing to pay 37m for him anyway.

2. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His pace will get him sold. Somebody will take him at 37m. My 2 memories of Manolas this season so far are him getting shook by Icardi for 2 goals and his cringe worthy slide on the 2nd A.Madrid goal.

3. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gimenez most likely just by law of attraction you would assume.

4. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for the hell of it, once in my life I'd like to go through a summer where Roma doesn't sell a key piece of their team.

5. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Yeah Manolas is most likely gone, Gimenez is the most likely candidate to replace him.

6. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    We didn't sell anyone important in the summer of 2015, and people were still outraged.

ErPupone repped this.
  7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what? We sold Mapou that year didn't we. ;)

Ok, I know people are going to say he wasn't that good but didn't we sell Gervinho that year?

8. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    We sold him in Jan 2016, wish it was sooner.

Shen-O repped this.
  9. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What fun is that?

Java65 repped this.
  10. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That Malcom kid at Bordeaux has got to be on Monchi's radar. That guy is going to be really , really , good. Left foot and insane pace.

He's the type of player we either get now , or we'll never get him.

11. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    We have Schick, Under, Gerson and Pellegrini, not to mention the million kids on loan, I say we chill on the wonder boys for now.

Only thing we are missing is a reliable RW. If its not too late and Leicester City are still interested in him, I'd send Defrel plus cash their way and try for Mahrez again. By summer we might not be able to sell him if he doesn't improve.

12. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, that's the thing: he's a capable left footed RW and can play across all 3 forward positions and with his current production , I'm not sure ' wonder-boy ' is a fair description anymore. He's a legitimate consistent producer.

Schick and Pellegrini don't play where he does (even if we crowbar Schick), Gerson is capable of multiple positions (we're still undecided as to where his best fit is) and Under is only one player (who frankly isn't on Malcom's level) that provides a completely different skill-set.

Malcom provides blazing speed (and tremendous skill/talent) , something we don't have at all.

I'm not sure Mahrez is that much better (even though he's 6 years older) and if you couple that with the fact that Riyad would provide little to no re-sale value in comparison , I would strongly insist that Malcom would be the wiser purchase.

If the prices between the two are similar, as is the current production/ability (imo), I'm taking the younger guy with the sky-high potential every day of the week.

As for sending Defrel , I'm not sure we even own him outright right now , so I don't think we can just throw him to Leicester. In fact, if I recall correctly, we can still get out of the permanent obligations of Defrel's deal entirely if we so choose.

Just my thoughts----I could be wrong.

Java65 and Haakon24 repped this.
  13. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I never saw Malcolm play, just bias against too many young players from the Saba era.

The Defrel deal is not clear, it was advertised as obligation to buy but the clause hasn't been triggered yet, and there is some speculation that Roma can send him back to Sassuollo. Theoretically, if we add a RW this winter he is expendable. Schick can compete with RW and Dzeko, while Perotti and SES duke it out on the right.

But the most likely case is that we won't make any transfers this winter, which is understandable.

14. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I’m fine with no moves this winter but if they could do something with Peres that would be wise. I thought he was going to be better.

romanista8910 and Java65 repped this.
  15. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What Milan player(s) do you want when they have a fire sale this summer after violating FFP?

16. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Lionel Suso, no one else is worth the seat on our bench.

Shen-O repped this.
  17. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
  18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, at this point I'm not sure if it's worth triggering the clause (if there is one).

Under seems to have a head for the game but I'm not convinced of his ball skills. Still he's only 20 and it could be nerves and new league. Verde is playing fairly well for a horrible Hellas side and he's only 21. Then there is Gerson who looks to me better wide than in MF. Develop those 3.

19. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd LOVE Suso but I think you are forgetting Silva. That kid can flat out play and is about the only guy they bought this season that is worth what they spent.

wm72 repped this.
  20. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The market is so unpredictable now. A certain buyer is interested (any EPL club) and Malcom's value could be twice what it is. I can see his base value being something obtainable for us next summer. Bordeaux aren't really known for taking buyers to the cleaners either. If it were Lyon, I'd say we have no chance.

There's still a lot of questions Malcom will have to answer when he has to share in attack. His shot and pace are there, his passing and tight space dribbling need some work.

When a kid drills a shot from 35 yards out like his goal yesterday, you know there were five attempts that he sent into the stands from the same distance. That doesn't go over well at bigger clubs.

21. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed the Mahrez comment first time around, but I think this squad is one "it" player in attack away from being the best in Serie A. They are so balanced and really only need that one guy. Maybe that's Schick, but I think Mahrez would've been that guy with the way the squad has rounded into form. I'm not sweating it too much though. It would've been crazy risky.

shiboboo and Salmeen10 repped this.
  22. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We were interested in him for the past two years

Now he’s worth 40m +

23. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Linked to this guy:

24. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Getting benched against Spal sparked rumours that Peres is on his way out in January, Vrsaljco, Vidal and Darmian are the candidates to replace him.

25. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors that we are about to sign Turkish Airlines as our shirt sponsor, advanced out of group stage in CL and it's looking very good to qualify for the CL next year as well and attendance is up from last year... This could be a very interesting summer for Roma since we should be flush with cash.