Monchi Business

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #4876 La Magica, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Forever. Ninja is a freak.

but seriously, his build suits this style perfectly. His stocky build makes him a powerful compact unit. Also bear in mind, the guy didn't play as much football early on as the average top level player. He didn't have to deal with the extra European games and rarely featured for the national side. I have no fears on him doing his things until he is at the end of his career.

Strootman I said in the summer and I still see his natural place is eventually taking the DDR spot. Hes got it in him and it suits him given the knee injurys. He wont be the first box to box midfielder to change into this role as he enters his later years. Gonalons I don't see being here for very long and Im not sure if he is good enough to be considered more than a squad player.

shiboboo, Vulpinous and romanista8910 repped this.
  2. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think the next big player to look at is Torreira. Could be a key feature for when DDR eventually calls it a day. Even worth buying him now and loaning him back.

Java65 repped this.
  3. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have bought him this summer, his release clause was only like 12m. Now he will be worth triple that.

4. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Was it really?

5. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4880 whill4, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Dzeko, Schick, Defrel, Sanabria, Sadiq, Ponce, Tumminello, Cappa. So many strikers.

6. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One would think at least one of the young guys will work out. I'm kind of surprised by the Sanabria buyback. He's off to a good start this year but he struggled mightily last year.

7. Oban14

Oban14 Member+

Jul 5, 2006
    Illinois
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    buy Sanabria and flip him or one of the other young strikers for a nice profit. easy stuff for Monchi.

8. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Its still too early, a lot will happen between now and May. The buyback is assurance that if Sanabria explodes we will get a decent sum for him. I doubt he will want to come back to Italy anyway.

shiboboo and Oban14 repped this.
  9. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He had injury problems last year. I also doubt that he'd like to come back to Italy though. But if he explodes we'll get a nice profit anyway.

10. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #4885 La Magica, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Surely it would be more surprising if we didn't have one given how common it is for a young player to have a poor season. That's doesn't reflect the potential. You can't give up on them that easily. It's not hard to build in a buy back clause for 2-3 years. It should really be mandatory for all given you just don't know how a player is going to improve until he gets consistent first team football.

11. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I don't disagree with any of this, it's just that Sanabria seemed rather clear that he wanted to play in Spain and had little interest in playing in Italy. As @ErPupone said we could end up turning a nice profit on him.

12. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wonder if we will try a bid for Berardi in January if the offense is still not working. His form hasn't gotten any better this season and his price should be dropping. Sassuolo should have cashed on him last summer.

14. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He is scared of moving.

15. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah.. I mean if they want Defrel back, I'm sure we could work out something.

Berardi clearly needs a change of scenery.

The Barella kid excites me more to be honest. Looks like the perfect long-term piece to compliment Pellegrini in a 2 or 3 man midfield.

16. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Damn really? What do you think we could tell him so he might move? You being a man in the know and all that.

17. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He had a chance to go to Juve and take on a challenge. He choose not to. I give props to Zaza and Bernadeschi for moving to a club where they need to show their stuff day in and day out to start and play. Domenico has just become a less passy version of El Sharwey.

18. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Learning how people create personal biases is always a fascinating exercise.

Your reasoning is completely devoid of context.

I went to bat for Domenico a couple months back on here, so I won't do it again.

However, he's more talented than any of those guys you mentioned.

19. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, too many fans think that a player has no personal life or issues to consider. They think that the only factor in every decision should be moving to a bigger club regardless of any other factors.

How many great young players moved to big clubs only to sit on the bench and it ruin (or set back) their careers.

20. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of wing players I think Roma need to look for AM or CF type players for their wings. A lot of teams now are using CF or AM and putting them on the wing with great success.

I still haven't given up on Defrel, I think he has the tools to play wide just needs time and unfortunately he got injured.

21. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he goes to Juve, he's a donkey who wants to ride coat tails to a title. If he doesn't go, he's a donkey with no confidence to make the jump.

I do think his growth has plateaued at Sassy.

shiboboo repped this.
  22. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ventura said over the summer that he needs to be playing for a CL team. He should have taken his advice and pushed for a move when we were in talks with Sassuolo. He's not exactly a kid anymore, only a year behind SES.

23. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah , it's hard to truly decipher what we need to improve , in my opinion.

If we had Mahrez , would our offence suddenly become much more potent? I'm not so sure.

I think we would still have an extremely hard time retaining the ball against quality opposition , at least for the time being. The front 3 get so damn isolated for long stretches.

I think by the time the January window comes around , we'll have a much better idea , as the cohension issues shouldn't be such a factor.

For right now , I'd settle for us beating the first defender on our crosses. Jesus ,was the service atrocious against Napoli.

24. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Mmm. I thought he'd be a good replacement for Bernardeschi in Florence, but there's no way Fiorentina would have paid the rumoured price.

25. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Berardi didn’t go to Juve because he would have been ruined there.

He would do well at Roma

La Magica repped this.