Monchi Business

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Vulpinous, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm constantly wondering if we're on borrowed time with Strootman and Ninja health wise. Strootman because of his knees, and Ninja because of the law of averages. How long can Ninja go running his nads off and flying into challenges before he gets the ass end of it? He's almost 30.

shiboboo and wm72 repped this.
  2. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea guys lets turn on Dzeko first...then Manolas.

Java65 repped this.
  3. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Haha well, Manolas is on my untouchables list. I think he can be a starting CB on a champions league winning side.

4. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In FIFA, sure. In real life, nope.

5. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is he rated that highly in FIFA? I haven't played in years.

But yeah, that's fine, it's just one man's opinion.

I think the guy has some truly special and unique qualities for a CB.

6. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been a pretty harsh critic of Manolas but if he plays like he did 2 years ago and like he as so far this season he's a top CB. The problem is.. wtf motivates this guy?

As long as he's playing like he is now he's untouchable, IMO.

7. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barzagli has played in two finals recently. It doesn't take much if you have the players to carry a corpse around.

Shen-O repped this.
  8. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I see from Manolas is recovery speed and tenacity. His playing IQ and technique come short so much during matches...he does not have it to be a leading defender in a CL winning side. He can win 1vs1 in open space all day, mostly, but gives up the softest goals at the near post or straight through the center. It takes 1 good through ball to take him out. Proper CL sides will hang him like David Luiz used to get hung.

@Wolfbeatseagle, I'm talking about winning a CL. Not losing every final like all the Juve defenders. They're the same case....collectively and sitting back, great. Ask them to push up and spread them out more and they become meh.

9. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a tremendous tackler, man-marker and very good in the air. He can't pass worth a damn. If I were EDF I'd have someone kick him in the nuts every time he attempts a pass longer than 5 yards. You know what... I'd rather have a defender that can actually defend rather than whats trendy lately, a CB who's great with the ball but can't mark or tackle to save his life. Look at Umtiti. Fast, very good passer, good with the ball at his feet but he'll get beat like a rented mule 1v1

10. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea but half the 1vs1 Manolas wins in Italy are fouls in the CL. He just barrels through people most of the time. I don't see the hype. And for someone whose bread and butter are 1vs1's, he still gets beat too often by nobodies. He is going to continue to develop and hopefully shut me up...while still at Roma...but I'm not holding my breath.

11. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Is Atletico a proper CL side? Because Manolas was our best outfield player, and it wasn't even close.

12. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Precisely. The art of pure defending is being lost.

And there are so few CB's that can actually aggressively challenge players in space nowadays and be successful.

That's a rare weapon to have at the back and allows for tactical flexibility that most CB's simply don't provide.

13. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did hang us! We were lucky it wasn't 2-0, 3-0 at the break. The best outfield player on a crap show. We couldn't take the game to them, of course the defenders are going to be the only ones to shine. And they should have scored a handful. We were lucky to get a result. Manolas still got worked plenty. Just like the Inter game where he gave up 2 goals.

Wolfbeatseagle repped this.
  14. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still have no idea how Saul missed from a foot away.

Shen-O and Java65 repped this.
  15. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Haha ok man, there's literally nothing I can say to change your mind. He was immense that day.

I guess all we can do is continue to watch.

16. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    He was ogling at Alisson's beard.

Wolfbeatseagle repped this.
  17. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair our defensive woes in that game were just as much the fault of the MF... we were overrun in MF against AM.

Hustle and Flo repped this.
  18. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    No place for logic here , Java.

19. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I'm torn on Manolas. Like I said when he wants to be he's great but the trouble is he doesn't always want to be. Maybe EDF found the key to motivating him but I do have concerns that he will revert back to the Manolas of 2016/17.

When you look at our defenders it's hard to really complain that any of them have been bad. Manolas, Fazio, JJ have all been really good. Kolarov has been our best player this year, IMO. Even Peres is much better this year than last.

20. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Manolas was a couple steps slower he would be playing for Stoke City right now.

shiboboo and Shen-O repped this.
  21. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "No place for logic" but he was immense vs AM...dude we got MURDERED vs AM. Take off the love goggles. You know what helps the midfield? When your braindead defender behind you stops hoofing every ball up the field back to the opponents every time he touches the ball. Or If that defender knew how to cut his angles and read the field better, so he doesn't get put into 1vs1 so damn often. Mano isn't even Mexes level and he wasn't WC.

ErPupone repped this.
  22. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, I think some props have to be given to EDF in that regard. No one was talking about how our defence would be changed/affected during this offseason. Alisson has had to make some world-class saves at times, but every team concedes chances.

In my opinion, Manolas is really keeping the unit together. Jesus, Peres and to a lesser extent Fazio (who's been steady for the most part), are pretty average and give me little to no confidence in all honesty.

I think if Manolas had a partner of similar quality during his tenure you might have a differing opinion. Rudiger was solid, but it's been a revolving door for a while now. Continuity is important as is quality.

He's the only guy that would really attract offers from another big side. I don't think anyone would touch the other 3.

23. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Do you really want to do this?

24. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, because I guess immense means being worked a bunch of times but they somehow don't score. Thats not a great defensive performance to me. We have different definitions of immense.

shiboboo repped this.
  25. Hustle and Flo

Hustle and Flo Member+

May 20, 2015
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Alright, I gotta go play 7 aside, but I'll be back.