Monarchs 2017 Regular Season

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by pate, Mar 25, 2017.

1. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was so confused seeing all the celebration stuff on twitter. I *thought* I was watching the game live, but apparently the 'live' game i saw on the site was for some reason the game vs San Antonio from Sept 2nd. Color me confused when we lost that game after hearing we needed a draw or win for first. Absolutely no idea why youtube said it was live. Also will admit it was mostly playing in the background, so it's quite possible they said the date at some point and I missed it.

2. CrazyJ628

CrazyJ628 Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    The center of the Earth
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I was at the game on Saturday and had a blast, which brings me to my problem with the Monarchs.

I follow USL quite a bit because of FC Cincinnati and I have to feel a little bad for the Monarchs. They get little to no marketing, play out in the suburbs and as much as I love the RioT for RSL games, it feels like a tomb for Monarchs games. You look at teams like FCC, Louisville, Sacramento and Reno and see their big crowds and support and it just makes the Monarchs look more like a reserve team.

I know DLH tried to get a stadium at the fairgrounds and out by the Maverik Center, and both of those sites would have been better for the Monarchs than Rio Tinto. Hell, they should have tried to put the team in Provo or Ogden or go the RGV route and set up a farm team in Vegas. I don't think Herriman is going to help either.

Either way. Good for the Monarchs. They play an exciting style of soccer and I hope this pays dividends for the senior squad.

Ismitje and Allez RSL repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. The Monarchs are a reserve team.
    2. Once the Herriman project is done, won't they be playing in the 5k-ish stadium out there?
    3. When all is said and done, I think only having the RioT and then a small stadium at the training facility will be better. I always found it a bit weird to infuse so much money into a reserve teams stadium. Didn't feel the demand justified it.

Ismitje, Allez RSL and goobx1 repped this.
  4. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest downside to Herriman is the travel. At least with SLC or even RioT, you've got easy access via public transit. I wonder if attendance will take a hit when they move to the training complex.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance isn't exactly killing it right now. Those that want to go will still make it out there. It's in the fastest growing part of the valley, too, so that only will get better with time.

6. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    #106 Todorojo, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
    Also of minor note, the Monarchs are actually one of the top "MLS 2" teams (Galaxy II, T2, Sounders 2, etc.) in attendance, and have been since they started. I think they are 2nd or 3rd this season behind Portland. Last year, in their first season, they were 1st and actually beat a couple of independent USL teams. Attendance dropped this year by a bit. Likely as the luster of a new team wore off, RSL started poorly leading to lower senior team ticket demand and less marketing of the team than the year prior.

Ismitje repped this.
  7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to fix your post.
    They are not top two in terms of attendance in the USL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_USL_season#Attendance
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_USL_season#Attendance

RSLer repped this.
  8. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    #108 Todorojo, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    No, if you read it again, I am specifically talking about the MLS 2 teams. According to your links, they are actually #1 now this season, so they must have just passed up Portland in the past few weeks. They aren't number 1 in the USL. But they are #1 and have been for a reserve team in USL.

Where I was wrong though, is that attendance has actually increased in 2017. I thought they were in the 3,000+ range last season. I guess they must have faded during the season with how poorly they played at the start of their first season.

This season they are actually about right in the middle of the league. They are beating 5 of the USL independent teams currently in 2017. So I guess my overall point was that although they aren't Cincinnati or Sacramento, most of the league isn't either. They are holding their own for a team that, if we are being honest, attendance is about the least important thing for.

RSLer, Ismitje and 15 to 32 repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my bad
    I kept mixing up the wording in your post after "2"

Todorojo repped this.
  10. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Weird, I cannot edit my earlier post after posting a new post? I could and should have been more clear by adding "MLS 2" or "MLS Reserve" in the statement. I can see the confusion as "2" could also mean any second division team with out the added clarity.

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed/clarified.

RSLer, 15 to 32 and Todorojo repped this.
  12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but you keep the post* where I'm an idiot?
    Thanks

*well, THIS post where I'm an idiot.

JZK316 repped this.
  13. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many are using public transit to attend currently though? That might be where we see a change. If a lot of those people are taking trax, will they then want to drive and pay for parking to still attend a game? It's possible nothing changes, but I won't be surprised if attendance drops a bit.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe UTA is planning on extending the Red line that already goes out into Herriman.

15. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. I'm working on a retail center at 13400 s & Mountain View Corridor. Our drawings call for a light rail station on the property. I'm not sure when it will be added, but it is in the plans according to our design team.

Lizzie Bee and 15 to 32 repped this.
  16. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty solid then. That will help a lot.

17. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Sad end to the monarchs season. They just haven't a looked the same since midway through the season. Teams figured them out. They did not look good at all yesterday for the majority of the game. But had their chances. Sucks to go out on penalty kicks but they made their bed. Would have been fun to make it to a few playoff games or the USL championship game at the RioT.

18. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had that bad feeling that they would lose, although going out on penalty kicks is better than losing 4-0 or something like that.

19. ravi

ravi Member

Jun 20, 2012
    park city
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched the game.
    Was amazed that "rat-tail" was a part of the RSL team that seemed to do so well. He is just not at the level of the current RSL players and seems to be a Monarchs leader. He did biff the penalty kick again. Velasquez should never be considered for RSL again. Not sure that Besler is that good either, and he is now signed to an RSL contract. Sparrow definitely has potential.

20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man those PK's were ugly. At this point, Vela shouldn't be stepping up for them. He's blown it now in two big games.

trackrunner repped this.
  21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for those like me not in the know:

On July 30, 2016, Plewa suffered a stroke following their game against Richmond Kickers[9]caused by Protein S deficiency[10] which is a rare blood disorder which can lead to an increased risk of thrombosis. After returning from his health scare, Plewa appeared for New York in every match during the teams playoff run, and on October 23, 2016, helped the club to a 5-1 victory over Swope Park Rangers in the 2016 USL Cup Final.[11]

23. irondeepbicycle

irondeepbicycle Member+

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Jul 31, 2017
    It's a really cool story, but any hope I had that the Monarchs would actually play young players this year is basically extinguished.

DrownedElf, TheBiff, RSLer and 2 others repped this.
  24. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more the Monarch's story arc develops, the more I wonder what the overall organizational business plan is.

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    win
    It's pretty obvious they want to win. That's the extent of the plan.
    Prove to me otherwise if you disagree