News: Mommy - what's a DP? The 2017 other teams thread...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #126 Q*bert Jones III, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    Freddy Adu.

2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't count. He's not distinguished himself (to say the least) since he left us.

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You haven't seen his 3 chick pics. :)

Winoman and benni... repped this.
  4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Neither has Burch. Hanging around does not equate with a "distinguished" career.

fatbastard and jason1551 repped this.
  5. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justin Mapp had a nice career post United. Of course Rimando. Sore spot numbers one and two: Rodney Wallace and Tommy MacNamara. McCarty sucked here so whatever.

6. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But macnamara never WAS here.

DecadeOfDCU26 and griffin1108 repped this.
  7. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nor would he have the freedom to do nothing but rip shots from 25 yards

8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mapp was a needed trade when he was still young and had some hair, it's not like we thought he would suck so we traded him. Rimando put in plenty of good years here, we also didn't trade him because we thought he was no good and then suddenly went out and got good. MacNamara hasn't had a career yet; he still seems like he'll be pretty good, but he never even wore a United shirt, we got him in a weird draft and lost him a week later in a different weird draft. I would have protected him over a few in that second draft, but understand why an MLS exec would not have.
    Ben made McCarty's current career by moving him to a position he didn't want to play but now excels at. Had he embraced it, maybe we wouldn't have traded him for DeRo, but even he says he would have made that trade :)
    Rodney Wallace seems to be a useful MLS player.

Next :)

If we're gonna count Mac, do we count Robles too? We did draft him, forcing him to run off to some other country to avoid playing for us and now he sucks for Metro.

jason1551, griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  9. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I wasn't paying attention, I thought we were just listing former United players who had success after leaving, without any other criteria. In that way, I would count Robles.

fatbastard repped this.
  10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must have misjudged the tone.
    There was another guy whose name escapes me, defender, who avoided signing for us when we drafted him, ended up playing for Puerto Rico in the A-League/USL/NASL somewhere who wasn't half bad - lots of guys who would have been drastically underpaid by MLS at the time ended up doing that or disappearing into some European league somewhere.

11. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Jay Needham

DCUSA, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  12. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Soccer
    UNITED STATES, CANADA AND MEXICO TO MAKE HISTORIC ANNOUNCEMENT ON APRIL 10 IN NEW YORK CITY
    Media Event Scheduled for 2 p.m. at One World Observatory at One World Trade Center

ORANJESTAD, Aruba (April 8, 2017) -
    CONCACAF member nations the United States, Canada and Mexico are scheduled to make a historic announcement on April 10 in New York City. The event will take place at 2 p.m. ET at One World Observatory on the 102nd floor of the One World Trade Center.
    Attending the event on Monday will be:
    Sunil Gulati - President, United States Soccer Federation; Member, FIFA Council
    Victor Montagliani - President, CONCACAF; President, Canadian Soccer Association
    Decio de Maria - President, Mexican Football Federation; Vice President, CONCACAF

-- Press Conference Information --
    WHO: U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati, Canadian Soccer Association President Victor Montagliani, Mexican Football Federation President Decio de Maria
    WHAT: Press Conference to make historic announcement
    WHEN: Monday, April 10 at 2 p.m. ET
    WHERE: One World Observatory - One World Trade Center - 285 Fulton Street - New York, NY 10007. Please use the West Street entrance.
    HOW: Media who wish to attend must apply for accreditation by clicking here. Media applications MUST be received by 8 p.m. ET on Sunday, April 9.

*Please note this venue has extensive security - everyone must be on guest list prior to the event and everyone will go through a detector and bags will be scanned before entering the elevator. Approved media are encouraged to arrive by 12:30 p.m. ET.
    A live world feed from the event as well as a VNR will provided to broadcast media. Uplink information will be available soon.

-ussoccer.com-

13. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I found out what a DP is:

benni..., DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  14. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Just watched tail end of Orlando/NYRB game. Some here complained about DCU's play in closing out tight games, but Orlando was terrible. Constantly kicked the ball down the center to the GK; never to the corners. Cut into the center or wherever the other team's defense was. Gave the ball away in the center with bad passes or just plain laziness. Left forwards unmarked in the box. And never ran to open space to support the ball

15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a DP

Not this year anyway, the year he'd cost less against the cap as a DP because of his age - he will be a DP next year though, when it costs more against the cap.

Alternatively: Fun with TAM & multi-year contracts

Winoman and Eastern Bear repped this.
  16. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Did not realize that. Salary cap rules are just impossible for me to follow these days. Do you know of any good summaries where a fellow can read up on these, so called, rules?

17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I do know they are written on a Etch-a-Sketch since the rules can and do change at anytime.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "young DP" rule has been around for a few years. I think it was a good rule as DP rules go, encouraging teams to sign 20-some-year old upcoming stars instead of (or along with) the more popular old-ass retiring stars.

I keep up with the rules in general by following Goff, Travis Clark, and R&BU in the pre-season - but I think I remember hearing that most of the rules are available on the mls site. MLS is better than some of the other leagues about making their salary-budget rules fairly transparent.
    That doesn't mean they're easily understandable, or perhaps still a tad malleable - but they aren't what I'd call secret.

I think we have too many DPs right now, but folks are out there calling for even more DPs per team "for better quality", so what do I know :)

Eastern Bear repped this.
  19. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't want MLS to slip into the old NASL trope of signing foreign megastars who were mostly beyond their sell date to thrill those of us who had been watching European soccer on television. I know, it was great in a way - I got to see Pele; Beckenbauer; Mueller; Cruyff (who had some left in his tank); Best: the list goes on. But it didn't bode well for the league's future.

20. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not related to salary/budget, but here is a handy guide for acquisition methods (posting as it is a good summary of another complicated MLS rule)

[​IMG]

21. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea how recent this is, but it's something(s) you don't see every day

benni..., DecadeOfDCU26 and Winoman repped this.
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It was this weekend yesterday.

23. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Ok. I'll just go back to not really caring what the rules are on that. Jeez.

Q*bert Jones III and Winoman repped this.
  24. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thrower's a right back, Michael (not Brian) Harris that controversially(?) didn't get called in to the 2014 MLS combine. I remember thinking if his defending is at all passable, his throw-ins are basically a free kick into the box from anywhere in the opponent's half. You'd have to be thoughtful about how they're used, but, man. He does have pretty disciplined footwork. Here's a video on his throw ins from Energy FC.

Winoman repped this.
  25. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    You trying to get that $10.00 Nike used to pay sportswriters just for putting his name in print? "Abject failure" or "He sure fooled everyone here in the pressroom" nets the same bounty and you get to keep your self respect