News: Mommy - what's a DP? The 2017 other teams thread...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Winoman and benni... repped this.
  2. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I feel really bad for C'bus, I have been on their blogs and basically everybody thinks this is already a done deal; the stadium is a pathetic excuse, Maffpre Stadium is not any further from the city center than Audi field will be. Their POS owner makes our FO look like a group of passionate guys who love the team and the fans. It's really sickening. And Don Garber is all for it too.

3. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    [
    It won't be the first time a sports franchise has pulled the plug and moved because of a tax break or a stadium deal or crooked pols willing to offer a discounted kickback. Isn't the last time either

4. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    It is the first time in MLS.

5. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Next time may be the first time someone outside the non-soccer world notices too. I

6. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    What about the Earthquakes relocation to Houston? I don't remember all the particulars, but was it substantially different?

asitis

Winoman repped this.
  7. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Allow me to still feel bad for them... I try my best to be a human being

Winoman repped this.
  8. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It wasn't. But we all hoped it wouldn't happen again.

Winoman repped this.
  9. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Not sure if you guys are following that saga in Columbus but apparently the owner “went rogue” on this and has been exploring options for a move unsanctioned by the league. He had plans to play at UT stadium for a while (the league allegedly hates this idea but Atlanta play in a similarly stadium frankly) and might have eyes and a relationship to build at the old newspaper printing building in Austin, less than a mile outside of the city’s trendy hub.

asitis repped this.
  10. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Note my earlier call for a "Precourt sucks" chant at the 20 minute mark.

Winoman and shawn12011 repped this.
  11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't think so. SJ had spent years trying to find a stadium site. This was not an owner moving a team because they felt like there was more money to be made elsewhere; rather, it was the league giving up on the possibility that a stadium could ever be built in the area.

That is NOT what's happening here. There is a local ownership group ready to buy the team, a stadium that's perfectly fine for the short term, and an owner who, with almost no warning, has announced that they're leaving.

Winoman, Theopisa and asitis repped this.
  12. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Permission granted.

13. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  14. Murrdcu

Murrdcu Member

DC United
    United States
    Apr 25, 2017
    For the Columbus/Austin story, I assume the main headline suggesting that Precourt AND MLS are heavily involved in trying to move the club is the issue that has everyone up in arms.

Precourt supposedly made several investments in the stadium and roster to boost attendance and gate prices, but it is still not working. The bottom four MLS clubs are originals. This kind of makes sense since these markets have had the full 20 year MLS ride to gain and lose local customers with the ups and downs of product quality, costs, and experiences. Rebooting in a new market with a MLS version 2017 team will probably maintain a 20-30k attendance than hoping for 10-15k with a 2001 MLS expansion club.

Precourt has invested to improve the gate in Columbus, but apparently it's not working. The way he's going about the demand for a new downtown stadium in Columbus or he's moving the club process has been an utter failure and mess.

15. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I guess everyone in Ohio is spending all their cash on Oxy. Things have to be pretty grim to move to Texas even though Austin is a reasonably civilized area by lone star standards.

16. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    And people wonder why Texans have such disdain for all things East Coast.

Cavan9, Monarch Bay Beachbum and sitruc repped this.
  17. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I think you'd have to care to wonder, but I do take comfort in knowing that some people see thing differently, particularly Texans.

18. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So, NYCFC are playing at Citi Field on sunday, with the possibility that they may have to play there AGAIN during playoffs; or at least if Mets agree with that - which shouldn't be taken for granted. Reading here and there before, a guy wrote that if that's not possible, rumors are they may have to play at Rutgers University - in JERSEY, LOL!

Winoman repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    I envy any team in the playoffs regardless of where they play. United should have such problems

20. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    USMNT U-17 QF Game versus England is on FoxSports2 and Telemundo. USA not doing so good right now at mid-point of first half. A lucky bounce for them. An unlucky bounce for us.

21. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    sitruc repped this.
  22. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  23. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver 5 San Jose 0
    Chicago 0 Jersey 4 :mad:

Winoman repped this.
  24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't even know about the V/SJ game but I purposely avoided the metro game so I wouldn't jinx Chicago. That did not work as planned, but at least I avoided having to be upset about it until I heard the result on WTOP as I was falling asleep.

Lesson: never believe when someone tells you the fire is good enough to win a playoff game.

Winoman repped this.
  25. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Garber got in the fix in Atlanta. Blown offside call, Columbus should be up 1-0 at halftime.