News: Mommy - what's a DP? The 2017 other teams thread...

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    This post was a year too late. :-|

2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go back again. Venice isn't going anywhere, except down.

Winoman repped this.
  3. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Tip of the hat to Mexico who just eliminated host Russia from the FIFA Confederations cup. The winning goal was something to see, catch it if you can. Chile plays tomorrow

DecadeOfDCU26 and Winoman repped this.
  4. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    San Jose fires Kinnear and some others. San Jose is currently 5th in the West with 23 points.

Meanwhile, in DC land...

5. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Does this mean you agree that San Jose's FO is more mucked up than DC's?

6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have higher standards and expectations. Perhaps it is because they have a stadium to fill.

james

7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Now he is a candidate I would being willing to listen about. Mind you, I still say he could not preform miracles with this roster but he would be a viable change.

8. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Are you formulating a plausible explanation should the poor play continue AFTER United has a stadium? There will be those who will say they never should have left RFK while at least 20,000 seats were still standing if they don't win at Audi

9. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Chile / Australia was a battle! Didn't know the 'roos had it in them, but they brought it all. Chile had a few changes from their A++++++ squad but Sanchez, Vidal, and Vargas should have been all they needed but it ended 1-1

Winoman repped this.
  10. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    [[vomits]]

shawn12011 repped this.
  11. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Why? He has MLS cup and supporters shields. He has won as a player and had the earthquakes in playoff position.

12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    For all the bitching and moaning you make about Olsen's alleged tactical deficiencies, Kinnear has the soccer nous of a Mack truck.

Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  13. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not saying you're right or wrong, but how did he keep Houston at the top of the West (and East) for many years?

14. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting to note that Chris Leitch, who replaced Kinnear, has never been a coach or even an assistant, although he's had experience with an academy. It sounds very much like the career trajectory of one Ben Olsen.

15. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    No one would have a problem with Olsens tactics if he won or at least made the playoffs year in and year out with a real chance to advance. No one will care about Kinnear either. Kinnear had a winning record with every team he coached- including our west coast analogue, San Jose (this is true for hockey too).

benni... repped this.
  16. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Chile seems to know how to stage some cliffhangers, the 0-0 (3-0) pk win was absolutely as good as scoreless soccer gets. Claudio Bravo shuts out Portugal with 3 consecutive saves, Mexico v Germany tomorrow for the final match against the marvelous Chileans

17. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    MVP goes to the goal posts. Blocked two shots on the same sequence.

NicktheGreek repped this.
  18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    sitruc repped this.
  19. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Certainly makes Bravo's three blocked spot kicks seem insignificant. After all he gets to move and the post and crossbar have to really plan ahead to block a shot

benni..., Winoman, John L and 1 other person repped this.
  20. NicktheGreek

NicktheGreek Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Disagree sir, Olsen's scurry ball where the team emulated a pack of depraved squirrels in an oak forest pointlessly darting about and fouling everyone lacked sophistication. If you watched with beer goggles on it seemed to be fine but to others it wasn't. It's true that some sculpt with fine marble and others work with turds but no matter the raw material Olsen's body of work is far from museum quality

21. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  22. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    As an Italian, I can't really be happy for a German win (although I don't dislike the Germans), but Chile deserves absolutely nothing, every time the game doesn't go their way, they put the game on a fight level, I mean physical fight. I really can't stand that.

23. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Germany OTOH deserves full credit, they went 20 years without winning anything, but since 2006 they started putting in place the team of the future, and today the fruit is mature; WC champ in 2014, Confederation Cup in 2017 (with a bunch of second lines) and they also just won the Euro U21.

griffin1108 and Winoman repped this.
  24. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get a lead on Germany, there's a chance, otherwise no. That team is full of head cases, but they have to feel uncomfortable. Bunch of front runners, obviously I'm not a fan.

I want a 2002 rematch so bad, I would put some real coin on the US. The Nats are used to adversity, it's almost a given. I would love to watch them fold and scream at each other before they exit in shame.

25. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Simple analysis: short angry Chileans lose to taller more composed Germans. How Jara didn't get a red is beyond me. Chile could have had 100 corner kicks and it wouldn't have made a difference.

John L repped this.