Moffat and Noonan to miss the start of the season

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by MFRONE, Mar 9, 2009.

1. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  2. bradd

bradd Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A back problem. Swell.

4. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, anymore midfield injuries and we are in trouble. Although, I'm confident Ekpo can hold it down and I'm glad that he will be getting some full 90 games. Might have to see what Nyazamba has as well as a sub. Could work out okay.

Off the field injuries, really? Come on Noonan. Get a dolly.
    [​IMG]

5. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is this "reserve game" of which they speak?

6. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must be against Toronto reserves. Would be cool if it was on a Friday.

7. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    Actually it says a herniated disc. That could easily mean surgery and could also mean he is out for 4 mos or more.

That is all bad news. These small rosters leave no room fro depth.

8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Herniated disc is NOT good.

Well, looks like Nyazamba will have to step up in the midfield. We could see more of Duncan than we thought. Also, could throw Danny in as a CM and slide Iro in at CB for late game defense. And Grendi may see some time as well out wide, with Ekpo in the middle we are also short on wide options.

Up front we'll be OK. I'm fine with Lenhart and Garey getting the reserve forward minutes.

Could be good news for Cory Elenio, Kevin Burns, or both.

9. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The small roster isn't great, but it really isn't a deal breaker. They could put Noonan on the 6 week IR or if he's done for the year on the season IR and replace him with another player. There is room as far as the rosters go in that regard. The problem really is even though they have the option to replace players on the roster for a short amount of time, the league in it's infinate stupidity doesn't give teams any cap relief for the injuried player.

That's what hurts the most. That's roughly about 125K the Crew may or may not have for the rest of the year depending on how severe the back injury is. That's the gamble you take with a luxury player like Noonan. Sure his experience and skill are great to have coming off the bench, but if he gets injuried, as Pat is oft to do, you're out a lot of cap room.

This is going to hurt us most on Crewsmas. Rogers, Hejduk, Moreno could be gone with the Nats on the 28th.

10. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noonan, you moron.

Moffatt, well, it sucks, but what can you do? And delays coming back from a knee injury aren't exactly unheard of. The good news, there, is that they sound confident he'll be fully fit soon.

Re: the "this kills our depth" responses, well, obviously, it affects what we can do. But we do have real depth on this team, especially in the midfield. As-is, this doesn't much affect our starting XI at all. Maybe Robert had Moffatt penciled in as a starting central midfielder. Still, he knew Moffatt was coming off an injury, and he knew we have depth at midfield.

A midfield of Rogers, Gaven, Ekpo and Carroll is pretty damned good.

But Noonan... WTF.

11. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino
    I question our depth. I have no doubt that Padula and Guille will be out off and on this year due to various injuries. Padula has a gimpy knee and GBS has a finicky hamstring.

If it was not for all the extra games this year it would not matter much but damned sigi for taking Evans. We could use another youngster like him. The kid played flank, forward, the center and even dabbled as a left back for Robbie.

12. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news for the Crew that it happened earlier rather than later then. Even a 4 month injury at this stage gets Noonan back on the field in time for Columbus' busy run at the end of the season in the CL. It's a shame though. What an unlucky injury to a seemingly good guy.

13. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to guess you mean left midfield?

Before the Noonan injury I would still have said Ekpo was more likely to be starting in the midfield so atleast its not a starter for MLS games. This gives several other players a chance to step up. I am very intrigued with Nyazamba because he was picked up late last season and if the team didnt think he could make the cut or they could get a better player they would have let him go in this offseason.

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hmmm....

So we kept Marshall. Iro is still here.

We lost Evans and Moffat spends more time on the DL than I do in confession.

Great.

15. Clintonville Bombers

Nov 16, 2008
    SO the Crew is paying $175,008 for a guy to recover from a bad back? In "these economic times", is this a good investment? Say he is out 2 months, that puts us 7-8 games into the season and he will have had limited practice time. Assuming the starting lineup is at least playing well, and maybe Nyazamba steps up, that is going to make it even harder for him to break into the rotation. He didn't exactly cement a spot last season, so it's not like he has a defined role on the field.

If you're the Crew FO, do you keep him and hope your greatest expectations (that he's a super sub and reliever for CCL games) come true, or do you cut your losses and startover paying another guy or two half as much that could potentially be much younger and a viable long term replacement when GBS and Alejandro leave? At this point, I feel like the Crew wouldn't lose all that much training or chemistry-wise by bringing in a new player or two.

Tought call, but I guess that's why Brian Bliss is paid the big bucks...

16. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, bullshit.

Evans wasn't so much as a twinkle in any of our eyes 12 months ago. And he was all but irrelevant in the club's performance for at least 1/2 of last season. "The kid played..." The kid played "bench" until both Moffatt and Migs were hurt, and was a sorry sub for both until he (much to his credit) settled into the position.

Moffatt's a few weeks delayed in coming back from a knee injury, and Noonan messed up his back with a boneheaded move.

Next thing you know, we're imagining injuries to Padula and Guille.

Ah, Crew fans. We never really change, now do we?

17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, I don't think you can cut an injured player.

Second, Moreno's leaving now, too? How so? He's only 29 years old, you know.

18. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So your saying that well then have the room for Palermo? :D

19. Clintonville Bombers

Nov 16, 2008
    Trade for a draft pick in 2015, free donuts for a year or something else then.

No, but what's the shelf life of a 30 year old (in July, you got me) forward? Wouldn't it be prudent to maybe save some money and get a young quasi-proven player in return, or god forbid a left back? It seems like the Crew is paying an awful lot for not much in return thus far, and not much potential for return given our current starting lineup.

20. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    ...I thought the reserve league was done?

21. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    We won the f'ing MLS Cup minus a single player in the midfield...

Plenty of "potential" for me.

Good lord, some of you are on crack. We are MLS Cup Champions.

22. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Somebody call Johnny Walker's back doctor, so we know who not to send Noonan to.

St. Dunc might be a busier man than we thought. Or, DannyO could get some MC work in front of Iro & Marshall.

All that said, agreed on the better now than later, and if we were going to keep the core from last year, we couldn't do better than we've done. And as for Evans, when the hell did he turn into Cesc Fabregas? He was a servicable center mid who could also play wide. He was arguably the tenth or eleventh best starter on the team. If we can't winning because we lost Brad Evans, then we must have stole that Cup last year.

23. deutchland

deutchland New Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    These injuries are certainly no deal breakers...

Moffat's delayed return to match play should be expected with his injury, but certainly Noonan's is frustrating because it occurred off the pitch or any other sort of training.

It was really a matter of time before Noonan got hurt, its been the one blackspot on him, other than that he has been a great player throughout his career. I hope he comes back strong.

24. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A herniated disk is a very serious injury and usually requires surgery. This is not the kind of injury that fixes itself with rest.

I would not be surprised at all if it was career ending depending on the size, location and whether its causing stenosis and whether a fusion and hardware is needed to repair.

Anyone have any details? I would like to see his MRI report.

25. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The BigSoccer Clinic, the answer to America's health care crisis.