MNT fans: Are there any other sports you follow?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by HomokHarcos, Feb 23, 2017.

1. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Closely follow pro and college hockey, pro and college football. Casually follow baseball, college basketball, and MMA

2. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a big, big fan of sports in general.

My two favorites are soccer and hockey, and which is 1 and which is 2 depends on which you ask me.

Used to be a big basketball fan, but couldn't care less now. I'm a New York Mets fan, and watch them when the occasionally nationally televised game comes on, and I pay a little attention to the postseason. I watch Ohio State football, but not much else college, and I used to be a huge NFL fan, but when my teams suck (like now), I pay less attention. Always watch the playoffs, however.

I also keep tabs on tennis and golf during the majors.

I used to be a rabid WWE fan -- my entire life, really (my avatar is proof of that) -- but I cut them loose in the last couple of years, in part because it's gone downhill, and in part because I can only watch so much.

As for viewing habits... I actively decided not to get MLS Live this season, even though I love MLS. Between the Crew games and (usually) two national telecasts every weekend, there's only (again) so much I can watch.

3. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're like me in that we both watch lots of sports and have hockey and soccer as the top 2. What hockey do you watch?

4. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a big sports fan. Soccer has taken over football as #1 in the past few years. In no particular order:
    Soccer: MLS: DCU and Montreal, EPL: Chelsea, Bund: BVB
    NFL: Redskins
    MLB: Nationals and Padres (don't watch on TV but I love going to the games and I follow them closely)
    NBA: Hornets (only pay attention during playoff time)
    NHL: Caps and Canes (not gonna lie I never watch hockey but I support the teams closest to me)
    NCAAF: VT and ODU (Use to be big into it but not anymore)
    NCAABB: UVA and ODU (Only care during tourney time)
    Also a big follower of NASCAR. Go Brad!

SeminoleTom repped this.
  5. SeminoleTom

SeminoleTom Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big sports fan here as well. I became a soccer fan in 2006 watching the World Cup. Soccer is number one now for me. I can't believe it but it surpassed the big three for me (bball, baseball and football) . I love the sport. I live in the south, people here (suburban ATL) like it. But if I went to a rural spot it would be football all day long (with the occasional fan that likes watching NASCAR for the wrecks).

As I've gotten older (and hopefully smarter) the thing that I like about soccer is you don't have look like a Defensive Linemen to be good at it. It's about skill as opposed to strength and smashing someone's body.

After soccer I'd still say baseball is number 2 because of the same very reasons. I am watching the WBC as well. We Americans stink. I don't get the non- interest. Club and country are equally important to me (no matter the sport).

Basketball is #3 for me. I like it but I'm 5'9. My son likes it as his number one.

As far as football, it's a wildcard. I like watching but it's to friggin violent. It's Americas game so of course I watch it.

Hockey is cool but lower on the rankings for me. I love the international competitions (especially the Olympics).

HomokHarcos and Burr repped this.
  6. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I began watching soccer during WC1994 and MLS got me more interested. I started following the 98 qualifying closely and have been hooked ever since. Euros, WC, Champs League. Ok, on to the question at hand......

Not counting being at a bar with a game on, here's my life when my wife allows it.....

Closely watch
    Baseball (Indians Brewers) - 3rd generation Indians fan, which was tough growing up in northern IL. Since moving to WI, have embraced the Brewers.
    NBA (Bucks)

Watch with some interest
    NFL (Packers)

Jump on bandwagon in playoffs
    NCAA march madness only (Wisconsin Badgers)

Only if its a big bowl game
    NCAA football (Wisconsin Badgers)

Watch out of curiosity one day a year
    Rugby
    Curling
    skiing
    NHL
    Tennis
    MMA

Never watch
    Motor sports
    Golf

Questioning why people even care about
    Horse racing

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full contact, female kickboxing.

And all National Teams and all of MLS, since Day 1.

8. HugoPerezUSA

HugoPerezUSA Red Card

Dec 14, 2016
    NCAA football, Gamecock.

9. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, the WBC is in its infancy. The idea of a real World Cup involving Major Leaguers is still new to them.

Fortunately, at least one player on the US team remarked that their first game against the Dominicans had a World Cup soccer-like atmosphere to it, so it's slowly beginning to dawn on them what it means to represent their country in their own sport's world championship.

10. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Bruins!

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am going to assume UCLA and not Boston due to your location. :p

Burr repped this.
  12. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    One thing that has always struck me is how many people say they started watching soccer in "___", or they went to a game at the "_____" and it is now it is their number one sport. I wonder if the same occurs in some of the big soccer contries with basketball, football etc?

13. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With basketball and football I very much prefer college sports, I've done nothing but watch college basketball for the past few weeks and even took Thursday and Friday off work for the tournament. Saturday's in the fall are basically entirely dedicated to college football and Notre Dame specifically.

NFL - it's fine, I'll watch most Packer games but outside of them I don't really care. Usually after watching football all day Saturday, I burn out a bit by Sunday

NBA & NHL - I can enjoy a game, but the long seasons turn me off a bit. I usually bandwagon with my teams come playoff time but with both The Lakers and Red Wings being garbage, neither league will garner a ton of interest from me this season, though I'm excited for The IIHF Championship in a couple months.

MLB - I love The Mets and as far as my pro teams go, a World Series win would mean far more to me than anyone else winning a title. That said, like The NBA & NHL, the super long reason is a bit much. I tend to get really excited in April, fizzle out to just checking scores once a day in the summer, and then get excited again in the fall (unless we're 15 games out of the playoff race)

Even with club soccer, I enjoy watching games as a neutral, but don't really have a team which really hurts the excitement. I just generally root on smaller clubs and National Team players

14. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So international soccer is your favourite in all of sports?

15. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes sir! Fell in love with it when I was 9 during the 2002 World Cup

16. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could remember the 2002 World Cup, but I was only 4 when it happened. I got into international soccer when I was 13 in 2011.

It's hard to get excited over anything as much as the FIFA World Cup.

Sebsasour repped this.
  17. Danny Woodhead

Jul 12, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Cape Cod Crusaders
    I am pleasantly stunned with how many hockey fans are on here. I was on HFBoards long before I had ever even heard of BigSoccer.

CyphaPSU and Burr repped this.
  18. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn you kids are making me feel old. I was 20 for World Cup 2002 and remember staying up stupid late to watch those games live. Good thing it was in the summer and I didn't have to worry about college courses at the time.

I post on HFBoards as well, found that before this place.

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to hit HF boards again.Hockey,anything SU related.
    I will watch anything.It amazes me what people are passionate about.
    Oh,and did you guys hear about the Patriots coming back from 25 points down to win Super Bowl 51?

20. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a passionate college football fan, I don't miss a single Penn State game, and will also watch almost any game involving any team. I split my online time between discussing soccer here on BS and discussing PSU football elsewhere on the Interwebs.

I'm an NFL fan (Iggles), and don't mind watching interesting games that don't involve my team.

I like hockey a lot, but I primarily only watch Flyers games in the NHL, and have become a bit of a college hockey fan ever since Penn State started its D1 program (hoping we do well in our first NCAA tournament).

Casually follow baseball, primarily only watch the Phillies, though I really like the WBC. I sometimes will watch a bit of college baseball (go Coastal Carolina!).

I also watch alpine ski racing because it was my best sport growing up.

21. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like and try to watch many sports. Besides soccer (EPL, CL, MLS, LaLiga, Bundesliga, NT's, HS) I watch College BB, Women's college BB, college football, NFL (mostly just the Patriots though), Rugby games when I can get them on TV(mostly international matches), college wrestling, quite a bit of track and field, Olympics (soccer, swimming, water polo, rowing, boxing, BB, archery, skiing, ski jumping, bobsled, hockey, curling, track/field, road cycling, volleyball, speed skating, handball, fencing, gymnastics), cycling (Tour de France especially), Australian Rules Football when I can find it, baseball (mostly Cardinals), a little tennis (majors), Triple Crown races, guess that's about it.

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took a summer college course during which somebody announced that we lost to Ghana and were eliminated from World Cup 2006.

In no particular order, I root for:
    USMNT, Israel NT, Red Bulls, Manchester United, and Genoa in soccer (and MLS and Israeli clubs in their Champions Leagues)
    Giants, Florida State, and Stony Brook in football (2 NCAA teams, Hofstra dropped football)
    Knicks, Hofstra University, Florida State, George Washington, and Stony Brook in Men's Basketball (4 NCAA teams)
    Liberty in the WNBA (but I never watch them) and the same NCAA teams as for Men's Basketball
    Yankees in Baseball
    Islanders in Hockey
    Dale Earnhardt Jr. in NASCAR (I was a fan of Dale Earnhardt when he crashed and died)
    Ernie Els and Camilo Villegas in golf
    Noah Rubin in tennis (he went to the same K-12 schools as me) who won one round at each of the last two Australian Opens

I root for Hofstra in all sports, but I rarely watch them play anything other than Men's Basketball. I root for United States and Israeli national teams in all sports. I used to watch NASCAR, but I don't anymore, and I never watch tennis, but I still have athletes I root for in those sports. The most popular sports (for more than just the Olympics) I can think of in the United States that I don't like are tennis, horse racing, and fighting (including boxing, UFC, and whatever other organizations there are), and extreme sports (inluding the X Games).

23. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    teenage and my 20s,
    was a huge sports fan.
    nba, i could tell you every players stats and measureables.
    nfl, sundays would take up the entire day watching games.
    then mlb, soccer.
    college bball and football.
    some indy/cart racing.

the older i got and started to understand the business of things,
    removed lots of fandom that i had.
    it took away the, everyone has an equal chance to win, just if the team played hard and well together they had a chance.

now,
    usmnt and soccer is 75% of my sports watching and following.
    home team of milwaukee Bucks will always get my support. daily blogging and reading and following, fb, twitter, etc.
    Green Bay Packers are inescapable in the state of WI.
    follow the moves of the Brewers.

but,
    cut out everything else.
    only watch packers, bucks, and all the soccer i can.

no college sports.
    no other teams in nba/nfl.
    i dont even schedule time to watch games live.
    if i have something to do, ill just find a replay and watch later.

24. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I've cut back as well as I've gotten older. I used to be a hardcore NHL fan. Watched every game that was on cable, familiar with every team's roster, tons of playoff games. Now I only follow my team and even then an 82 game season before the real games start can be quite exhausting.

I've cut back on soccer as well. Haven't watched an MLS game yet this season (although the Sunday timeslots are a big reason why). Haven't watched as much Euro soccer the last few years either. Probably safe to say that the Dempsey time at Fulham was likewise my prime for watching club soccer.

National team is the same, though. I'd probably still tune into U.S. games even if I abandon all other facets of sports viewing.

25. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well, I can't speak for others, but in my case I always really liked soccer, but where and when I grew up, it was an extremely difficult to follow. When the WC came in 1994, I was really excited to go see it both live and on TV, and made a point of getting my hands on some tickets, and it was everything that I was hoping it would be an more. And then we got a league, so there was something consistently to follow. And then came Fox Sports World covering the EPL and lots of other competitions, so there was some really exciting stuff to consistently follow while our own league was still basically bush league. And then came the ability to stream games on the internet, so you could follow just about whatever you wanted. And so on and so forth.

Mahtzo1 repped this.