MLS Week 5 Continuous PBP [Multiple R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Ismitje, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The number is the minimum added time to be played. ;)

2. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jay Heaps reminds me of those prick suits in the banking industry.

3. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Heaps looks PISSED. It looks like someone just told him his 14 year old daughter was caught in the back of the school gym with the class rebel. He walked out with a tear in his eye.

4. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Shalrie Joseph beat badly on that goal - he never jumped for the ball or bodied up on Ihemelu.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Well...................if Villar's as injured as badly as it seemed, FCD's gonna be in a lot of low-scoring games like this.

Unless one of the youngsters like Leyva can provide an offensive spark.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also: probably someone should have covered the three Dallas players open at the back post.

7. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    From the Optajack twitter account:

"1 - AJ Soares committed 1 foul vs FC Dallas; unfortunately that 1 foul cost the Revolution a well deserved point on the road. Critical.#MLS"

OUCH.

8. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    This, and also, why the heck didn't Joseph play the ball out of bounds while Soares was on the ground? Or if he didn't know Soares was down, why didn't his teammates tell him?

Heaps has them playing better soccer, but this was a game they should've finished out.

9. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    New England only committed 4 fouls all game, pretty unlucky for that last one to end up biting them. But more unlucky for Dallas to lose Villar to what looks like a bad injury. Tough night for both teams actually.

10. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    11,043 at FC Dallas Stadium.

Hey, atleast it wasnt below the 10,000 mark...

11. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Just wanted to point out those couple of great saves Reis made on Shea last night. FCD deserved the win imo.

Anyway tough way to lose it.

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Historically............that's a very good number for FCD on a Thursday night.

What I don't understand is why the hordes of kids in Frisco right now for the Dallas Cup weren't filling the stands. I think I saw a few of them, but not that many.

Anyway, a typical result for FCD. Without Ferreira (and Villar apparently) they're really struggling for creativity from the center of midfield.

13. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Oh, and:

Villar: Ankle (severity still unknown)
    John: Concussion

Buzz's short and sweet match recap:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/soccer

First Touch: In a move made of necessity, Hyndman rolls out a new formation and hopes it works

Second Touch: Mostly a snoozer of a match that got interesting in the last ten minutes as a Villar-less FCD decided it wanted to win

The Finish: A team low on morale, midfielders and time in a new formation overcame all of that via the big hearts of several players who just kept on fighting and literally grabbed the three points from Matt Reis.

14. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btw, I don't believe this game is on Galavision, but something called "Univision Deportes". Not Univision, but Univision Deportes. I just looked on my guide and the game is not listed on Galavision or Univision, and my cable - despite getting about 70 Spanish-language stations - does not get Univision Deportes.

Hopefully I'm wrong about this, and I'm not sure why the game isn't on Galavision like it normally is. Check the mls tv listings to confirm:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/weekly-tv-listings

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Yikes. According to wiki and the countdown clock on Univision, Univision Deportes begins broadcasting tomorrow.

I hope the Univision site streams the match.

1 person likes this.
  16. vichuck

vichuck Member

Jul 25, 2008
    New Braunfels
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were all in the stands the previous couple of nights. There was a pretty solid showing for ManU v Tigres.

17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I suppose Univision Deportes will start out only on Dish Network if I'm reading things correctly.

18. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for finding this. Maybe it'll show up on my cable system manana.

19. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, wiki says this:

It says it cut a deal with Dish but it doesn't say it did NOT cut a deal with other cable companies, so I'm carrying out hope. I want to see how the Crew deal with Henry now that Henry's so hot.

20. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did this happen?
    Is Univision Deportes the rebranding of Telefutura?
    When the league released the schedule there was no UD listed, only Telefutura and Galavision.

How did this happen?

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It happened recently.

It is not a rebranding of TeleFutura. TeleFutura remains an Over-The-Air broadcast network. This new sports channel is cable and satellite only.

I'm sure that when MLS sold the rights to Univision part of the contract was that Univision could put the games on whatever outlet they chose. They have now chosen to put the games on this new cable sports channel.

Mexican league fans around here are going to be even more upset. TeleFutura usually had several of their league games each week. Those are apparently all going to the new Univision Deportes. Houston has fairly low cable penetration for Hispanic residents.

22. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Totally non MLS post coming up... :p

Hey THOMA.... 12K at Tigres and 15K for Rayados today..... and those were only training sessions.

[​IMG]

Ready for el Clasico?

23. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Actually, it dovetails with the posts above...Rayados v. Tigres is also on this new Univision Deportes in the US, right? (Santos v. Tecos, too.)

Are the tv deals by team, so Monterrey and Santos home games will be on this new channel from here on out?

24. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    It's only a matter of time before the outrage over Univision Deportes begins. The Crew - Red Bulls match was originally scheduled on Galavision, as mentioned when the schedule was released:

MLS 2012 national TV schedule: NBC, ESPN, Galavision

Now this match, and the May 23 match between the Red Bulls and Chivas, have been moved to Univision Deportes. More will surely follow.

As of now, this channel seems to be a DISH exclusive, and any matches on it will not be aired on Direct Kick or MLS Live.

25. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the worst thing about it. We all knew about Gala and TF, but here's this new channel that's going to count as national and it looks like it's going to be in even fewer homes than FSC right now. Nobody who's not with DISH even knows if this is going to pop up on the guides tomorrow.:mad: