MLS vs. USL

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by rugman, Aug 28, 2008.

1. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    mls was more successful in the tourney that was before the previous tourney

the one that was held entirely in the united states during a week or so period

so no, they weren't more successful than costa rica as they didn't win or even reach the final when it went to a proper knock out, home and away tourney

they should just have the two mexican champions play and crown the concacaf champion from that

2. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, the U.S. was more successful in the last incarnation of the CONCACAF Champions' Cup, which stayed in pretty much the same format from 2004 through 2008 and featured home-and-away fixtures. If I remember right, MLS teams never lost in those tournaments to anyone other than a Mexican side, Saprissa, or Alajuelense. And MLS had more wins in the tournament than any other league other than Mexico.

3. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    really?

from 04 to 08 i remember costa rican teams winning it twice, had an all tico final even. an american team didn't reach the final or even come close to doing so during that period.

4. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    wtf is a USOC and should i care about it? no.
    How many times has the MLS won a cup in a home and away series?

did any MLS team make it to the final during that time? at least the costa rican teams won it during that time, celebrate the game but they/us celebrate the trophy.

5. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    Come off it Cebolla,

I just finished reading the CCL thread in the MLS News & Analysis forum. Everyone there was pulling for TFC as they are an MLS squad.

I find it pathetic how MLS can potentially place 5 teams in the group stage of the CCL. More than any other nation.

6. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS != a nation

MLS has teams from two different countries/federations. And federations are the ones allocated berths. Deal with it.

If you want to argue that the USSF does not deserve 4 berths, fine.

Also, it appears so far that CONCACAF is using a system based on how far teams from federations advance in the tournament. See the second post in this thread, https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1092972
    They'll most likely go off this when they restructure the tournament. They've already used this to select replacement teams. Up to this point, this is what we have:

If it's one point per advance this is how it shakes out after last year and the prelims so far this year. I've only included the ten teams who've finished the prelims.
    Fed Pts/Teams Last year Pts/Teams this year
    Mex 12/4 2/2
    Hon 2/1
    Can 2/1 0/1
    Carib 4/3 2/2
    Pan 2/2
    USA 1/4 1/2
    Gua 0/2 0/1
    CR 0/2 0/1
    ES 0/2 0/1
    Bel 0/1
    Nic 0/1

So, if US teams don't advance out of the group stage then it's likely, and I think, justifiable, that US will get less berths. However, I doubt Canada's berth will be taken away because they only have one. I think it's also arguable that FMF should get more passes directly to the group stage. Now, I'm not sure if they're going to stick to this, but this is what they are using so far. I also don't know if they're going to tally each year separately, or combine everything when they figure out the new berths. It would be nice if they came out officially and mentioned this is the system they are using. It would add more legitimacy to this tournament.

7. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In case there actually is anyone who cares to find out, the U.S. Open Cup is the USA's equivalent of the FA Cup, or other such cup competitions.

It's been around since 1914.

The 96th edition of the tournament will take place at RFK next month, when D.C. host Seattle. The winner of that will qualify for the 2010-11 CCL.

8. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    nobody gives a shit about it ;)

9. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump :eek:

LA Galaxy (MLS) 1-4 Puerto Rico Islanders (D-II)

10. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    and the gap widens

11. Duiz

Duiz Member

Apr 10, 2007
    London
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Bizarre ...

... yet at the same time, in the 2010 Canadian Championship didn't lose a single game against Vancouver Whitecaps or Montreal Impact (2 wins, 2 draws) ... and they had 3 wins and only 1 loss in 2009; yet these are two of the best teams in USL/NASL both years ... with Puerto Rico at the bottom this year.

Clearly Puerto Rico wanted this and LA couldn't care less. Nor could their fans, judging by the empty stadium!

13. DaSage

DaSage New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    San Juan Puerto Rico
    So... how many more teams does a USL side have to beat in order to prove they're better on the CCL?

14. cool cat

cool cat New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Really disappointed with the Galaxy... resting 2 of their all-stars for a meaningless match against ManU, and their reserve defense gets killed in what was the biggest match of the year for them, even if they don't see it that way.

15. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, based on one game. Suuuuuure.

16. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    While I like that result, cuz I hate the Galaxy... It is a terrible result for MLS... It continues to have their priorities upside down. CCL > AllStar game.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well yes Dave, USL was ahead and they beat another MLS team, so the gap did widen just a little.

This is CCL ofcource, because in US open Cup MLS wins out.

D-2 teams need to try harder in the US Open Cup.

18. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    CCL gets a team to the world club cup... the US open gets... ? i'm not even quite sure what the open cup is for soccer. it can be too important.

19. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    a team to the prelim round of the CCL

20. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    odd. the qualification process in the US seems unnecessary. they should just give one spot to the mls champion and one spot to the USL champion.

21. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    No way giving the USL a spot makes no sense. Then why not give the other leagues 2nd divisions a spot? At least this way the USL earns it.

22. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    and what has mls done to earn a spot exactly?

i've been saying a div II mexican team could win this thing easily. that was a shocking performance from the galaxy last night. aren't they first place in the league as well? thats what i was told at least.

23. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    In this case the MLS won the US open cup. Personally I think they should take away spots from the MLS not start handing out more to there 2nd division.

24. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    LOL @ Galaxy's Spanking. I hope my RB's do the same on AUg 14.. lol

25. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just as a matter of perspective: in the first CCL in 2008, the Islanders blew out Santos Laguna 3-1 and beat Cruz Azul 2-0 in the knockout stages (and would have beaten them on aggregate if away goals had been in effect that year).

Yes, this is a bad result, and if I were a Galaxy fan I'd be upset, too. But I don't think anyone opened up a "USL v. FMF" thread in 2008.