MLS vs. USL

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by rugman, Aug 28, 2008.

1. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    So far, the USL teams are kicking MLS butts. MLS teams are down by 1 and 2 goals while USL teams are even and ahead by 1 goal. With the Battery playing DC for the USOC next week, USL teams can make a major statement if they can hang on to win their series and the Battery can pull an upset.

Interesting that no major reporters are discussing this in articles or blogs.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Let's wait and see how things turn out.

Comparing results against different teams and only half-way through home-and-away series can be misleading.

So far, the Islanders have the best result getting a tie on the road. All credit to them. The rest are wins at home and losses on the road. Hard to draw too many conclusions from that.

3. El Daly

El Daly Member

May 28, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Considering that La Liga is one of the best team in CR that was a great achievement.:)

4. Breakwood

Breakwood Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    The USL team that won played at home, while the MLS teams were on the road. Lets revisit this next week.

5. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    From a taking care of bizness standpoint I'd say the USL are doing very well this year. Charleston has a great opportunity with the Open Cup next week and Montreal (who beat TFC to get to Champs League) and Puerto Rico have done very well in representing. Yes, it is not over but they came out of the gates better then the Revs and CUSA. Hey, if I'm a USL fan I'm pumping my chest right now.

6. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn right, despite years of rivalry, there is league pride to be had. My chest hurts.

7. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    IMO it`s too early to talk about this

8. zidja

zidja Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Imagine if Charleston wins next week. That means USL will have won every available international qualifier available to them this year.

9. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    why? who do they play or what?

10. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would also guarantee a USL presence in the '09-'10 CCL as well. So far USL teams have looked good this year.

But I agree with Breakwood and MoRado, it's a little early to thump any chests about this. If Impact and Islanders advance out of group stage and none of the MLS clubs do :eek: you'll have something to write about.

:rolleyes: Actually, it might be good for the Collective Bargaining Agreement due next year in MLS. It might light some fires under the right butts to get the money flowing.

11. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Charleston Battery play DC United fro the US Open Cup next week. The cup is one of the 'play in' spots available to US based teams. If they win they have a ticket to 09-10 CCL.

12. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    ahhh i see... thx

13. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    Don't think it is too early as Montreal (USL 1) beat TFC (MLS) just to gain entry so it is a valid topic.

On Wednesday the Charleston Battery play DC United for the US Open Cup Championship (similar to the England FA Cup) and winner gains entry into the Champions League for 2009.

14. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    i forgot it, u are right

15. OrangeCajun

OrangeCajun Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Cypress, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to take away from the USL, but Chivas USA are a shell of the team that qualified for that spot last year. They have 11 players missing from injury, most of those starters. As for New England, I have no idea why they looked so bad (except for not having Reis in goal).

16. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reis is key.

17. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    Fatigue and they played a better prepared team than they expected maybe.

18. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL teams are NOT kicking MLS' butts. They haven't even played each other. Morado is right, the first leg of the first round hasn't even finished yet and people want to make wild statements. I'll give in to that when USL teams advance in group play while MLS teams don't. USL has quality, of that I have no doubt, but they aren't kicking anyone's butt.

19. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    OK so they are not "kicking" MLS butts, I just said that to generate interest. However, you can't say they haven't played each other as Montreal defeated Toronto FC just to get into the competition. And it's not like Toronto treated the game the way most MLS teams treat USOC. They wanted to win and put out their best side. Yet Montreal beat them and then held their home field advantage in the first game. Puerto Rico went down to Costa Rica and came up with a draw.

And my statements were made on results to date. The USL teams did what they had to. The MLS teams did not. Nothing wild about that. Just the facts. You have to admit that they fared better than the MLS teams to start the tourney. USL has a chance to make big statement regarding the quality of their league right now. We have to see if they can actually make it. It could be the kind of statement that the AFL made back in the 60's to the NFL (now that might be a little wild).

I'm actually enjoying this tournament so far.

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Montreal did not defeat Toronto. Yes, the Impact won the Canadian Championship but the two games between the teams were:

MON 0-1 TFC
    TFC 1-1 MON

21. rugman

rugman Member

Oct 13, 2003
    Annapolis
    I stand corrected. I thought the Canadian championship was based on that game at BMO. However, Montreal still won the Cup and did so on Toronto's homefield. I don't know if they treated the earlier matches like MLS teams do the USOC but if so they did at their peril.

What team did TFC field against Vancouver? They lost at BMO to them.

22. zidja

zidja Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Canadian Club Championship:
    TOR@MTL: 1-0
    VAN@MTL: 0-2
    MTL@VAN: 2-0
    VAN@TOR: 1-0
    TOR@VAN: 2-2
    MTL@TOR: 1-1

MTL: 7 points
    TOR: 5 points
    VAN: 4 points

MTL technically did not have a single game victory over TFC, but managed to win the 3-way tournament essentially by beating Vancouver more than TFC could.
    TFC playing in "the fortress" (seriously, check out their home record in MLS), could not win at home against USL.

23. skipr

skipr New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Carolina, PR
    well puerto rico DID beat Dallas FC and tied LA Galaxy about 2 years ago. Can't remember the exact days.

Truth is, that USL play real futbol and give it their all while MLS is nothing but capitalism at its best. It can't be denied that rought now the USL teams are doing better than MLS and everyone knows that but at the same time. MLS will always have a hell of alot more money than the USL therefor it will be the better, more well known league

24. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Not really the Islanders still have to wint the CFU CC in November-December.

25. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can also place second or win the 3rd place tie.