MLS to affiliate with USL PRO clubs

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by mbsc, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark Watson, now San Jose assistant coach, is a former Charleston player and assistant. Charleston has good relationship with several MLS teams they have developed relationships with through the last ten years of the Carolina Challenge Cup.

But Charleston and Seattle have a very good relationship Starting with Alonso going their in 2009. Alex Caskey, Lamar Neagle, Cole Peverley, Amadou Sanyang have all come at the recommendation of Sigi. Both Caskey and Neagle went back Peverley is now in the A-league in A-league. I would love for Sanyang to return but wouldn't be surprised if he catches with MLS again.

Charleston is going to be some distance from any MLS club. Last season when Andrew Dykstra was on loan from DC, he would often play Saturday night, fly back to DC on Sunday practice their until Wednesday, Practice with Charleston on Thrusday and Friday and play Saturday, this is far from ideal but the fact he plays keeper and was member of the 2011 Battery squad and new most the staff and players make it doable.

Venat0r repped this.
  2. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Where do you get the idea from that it actually works in Germany? Reserve teams are a cancer and a significant factor in killing off semi-pro clubs in Germany.

3. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice if any new USL Pro teams created for the purpose of being a reserve team have their own names in their own markets, albeit funded by the MLS team. It would be better for the growth of the sport. That being said, minor league baseball teams with their own "brand" are typically independently owned and affiliate with major league teams. In certain cases, the major league team owns the minor league affiliate and they typically have the city name of where the team is located, but retain the nickname of the major league team (ie, Staten Island Yankees).

QuietType repped this.
  4. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in regards to the whole "jump" from PDL to USL-Pro... I think we might see a very small sample of teams try this... but I think it is much more likely we see entirely new organizations form as the USL/MLS integration becomes more established.

5. Kolyn

Kolyn Member

May 15, 2012
    Waterford, Ireland
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    s
    U
    That's exactly what I meant.

Venat0r repped this.
  6. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    And even this is becoming rarer.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2011/10/th...nkees-to-be-called-the-yankees-anymore-57808/

Their AAA team just changed their name for the 2013 season. Rather than spreading and strengthening their brand, MLB teams see minor league teams using their name as actually weakening the brand.

7. MuzzaFC

MuzzaFC Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Selfishly I would love for these new teams to have their own names. I have a bit of a minor league name fetish... And with the AHL, MiLB and the D League, there are a lot of ways for the big league team to support an affiliated club.

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, right.

Let me get this straight: We don't know what "affiliation" entails, but you think that it might be enough to convince someone who's unlikely to be making any money but who seems to be getting by to make their financial situation worse? When over the course of time, very, very few teams have been inclined to go from amateur status to pro status?

There's a reason these teams are amateur. They don't have money, for the most part.

God, just give up, will you? You don't know how anything works here. Just stop.

And the minor-league teams are fine with that, as they can sell a lot more Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs merchandise of all flavors than they could Lehigh Valley Phillies merchandise that would be basically indistinguishable from Philadelphia Phillies merchandise. And having your own identity makes it easier to shift affiliations.

In 1995, some 37 minor-league teams carried the names of their big-league affiliates. Now it looks like there are only 19 (and two of those are slightly modified, the Lakeland Flying Tigers and Reading Fightin' Phils).

9. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the Fightin' Phils sometimes refer to themselves merely as the Reading Fightins

10. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scranton went with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRaiders. The Lehigh Valley IronPigs must feel flattered :eek:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Staten Island team officially go to Baby Bombers or just Bombers since they are popularly known as the Baby Bombers anyhow.

Hopefully most MLS teams will go the separate brand name route with their reserve USL Pro sides should this come to pass - more merchandise sales is a great point. I can't imagine Red Bull and Chivas USA straying too far from their names, though, sadly.

11. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they Harrisburg City with the nickname the Islanders or Harrisburg with the nickname City Islanders? City Island is a part of Harrisburg, where they used to play (and where the Senators baseball team still plays) is why I ask. I had assumed City Islanders was the nickname, not just Islanders, because of that.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  12. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always thought it was the Harrisburg/City Islanders

The Cleveland City Stars on the other hand...:D

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are the City Islanders from Harrisburg. Took some time to convince Fox's production people that they're not "Harrisburg City" in 2011.

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As Kansas City's reserve team has been "Swope Park Rangers" (they played in a local park called Swope Park), I have always thought you could make MLS Reserve League teams with names that were part homages to the parent club and part Euorposing, keeping in line with what KC has done:

Chicago Fire: Dagenham & Redbridgeview
    DC United: Arlington Stanley
    FC Dallas: Dallas Burnley
    Los Angeles Galaxy: Westwood Bromwich Albion
    New England Revolution: Leicester City Foxboro
    New York Red Bulls: Nottingham Forest Hills
    Philadelphia Union: Sport Lisboa de Benfranklin
    Toronto FC: Brampton & Hove Albion

And my personal favorite:

Chivas USA: MK Juans

chapka and Balerion repped this.
  15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could never get anyone to clarify whether they were the City Stars from Cleveland or the Stars of Cleveland City.

16. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully we don't see this :D

[​IMG]

17. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone really knew.

I was a member of the Green Army supporter's group and we had one chant that suggested both in consecutive lines:

And it's Cleveland City
    City Stars FC
    We're by far the greatest team
    The world has ever seen

I could never get any great support for the idea (I was likely the only outlaw country fan in the GA), but I always thought that "You Never Call Me By My Name" by David Allan Coe would've been a great club anthem. All the singability of "You'll Never Walk Alone", but minus the cheerfulness.

18. Kolyn

Kolyn Member

May 15, 2012
    Waterford, Ireland
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    No u don't have it straight. I've already explained on the previous page that I was talking about clubs who were already looking at USL Pro like Austin and Tucson. If a PDL team has always planned to move up it'll now be cheaper to do so NOT cheaper than PDL but cheaper than USL Pro 2012.

19. leftout1

leftout1 Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    So let me get this straight........I'm an existing USL-Pro team with MLS aspirations (as stated in my club's previous press releases) and now I get to be a MLS "bitch" (sorry to use the street term)??
    Do I have to listen to the MLS FO telling me to play their 5 guys?
    What if I want to win? What if to win a playoff round none of the MLS 5 are worthy of being out on the pitch? How well will this sit long term with the MLS brass?
    Poor Rochester - they went from hoping to be a MLS city not that long ago to now possible being part of the MLS minor leagues.
    Is this really what Orlando is trying to sell their fans to entice them to wait 3,4,5 years until they hopefully get to be a MLS franchise? Come watch us play the Columbus Crew reserve team?
    In a roundabout way, I see this is a great opportunity for a natual separation to slowly start to evolve between D2 and D3. Just my opinion.

Prosoccercdn repped this.
  20. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real Colorado Foxes (I think PDL) has always made me cringe as well. Europosing and Ameriposing. Trying too hard to please everybody.

21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping the new expansion team name will be Real Sporting Atletico Sacramento City 2014 United FC.

22. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Independence is great. If you can afford it. MLS has a problem. Finding a place for their young players to play. A deal with either the NASL or USL seemed natural and inevitable. And how exactly does this ruin any team's MLS aspirations? No matter how far fetched they might have been?

Again, let's wait until we get the actual details.
    We don't know. But I would think MLS wouldn't pay the salaries of the players just so they could sit on the bench. It would sort of defeat the whole purpose of this.
    You do what every affiliated minor league team in baseball, basketball, and hockey does. You balance your goals of winning and developing players.
    Yeah, poor Rochester. :rolleyes: Rochester to MLS died years ago. If anything, having some connection to MLS is probably the best thing for that market and team
    As opposed to what they do now? Come watch us play the Dayton Dutch Lions? Or the mighty Charlotte Eagles?
    Or it turns D2 into Independent League Baseball.

23. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt MLS will have to order that those 5 guys be played, because for the most part those 5 MLS guys would make the starting lineup easily anyway.

fútbolgrande and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    MLS teams have 24 players ?

So they will probably loan out numbers 19 to 24, I guess most of these players will be rookies

Do you really think that these players would be making the starting line easily ?

25. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That evaluation can usually be made before a move is finalized. It would be in the USL club's interest to make that chance available because they could then cut another player who would otherwise cost them money.