MLS Teams in Libertadores? (r)

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by El Guero Naco, Jul 31, 2005.

1. El Guero Naco

El Guero Naco New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    MLS Teams in Libertadores?

This was taken from a chat with Don Garber, MLS Commissioner, on Friday.

David from Washington, D.C.
    In your State of the League Address, you mentioned the participation of MLS teams in the Copa Libertadores. How will these games be worked into the MLS schedule, especially considering the length of travel between the United States and South America?

Commissioner Garber
    Good question. First things first, we have to get invited to participate and we're working on that as we speak. As you've stated, clearly logistics are an issue but in my view the benefits will overcome the challenges.

At first I thought they were mistaken with the Sudamericana, but with him saying that they're working on getting invited pretty much confirms that he's not mistaken.

Why the hell is this even being brought up?

I mean, adding Mexican teams was one thing, but MLS teams?

In 5 years is Libertadores going to have 50 teams in it?

2. danmarce

danmarce Member

May 8, 2004
    Quito, Ecuador
    Re: MLS Teams in Libertadores?

Lol

3. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

They would just have to do another preliminary matchup or two. They already have 12 teams fight it out for the final 6 group spots.

http://www.rsssf.com/sacups/copa05.html

4. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand

why stop there, lets invite teams from japan and australia while were at it

5. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA

This is a good thing and not just for MLS. It will lead to american companies becoming sponsors of Copa Libertadores as the Copa opens up the gringo market in the USA. It can only mean more money for the copa and the teams. The only drawback is the long travels but theyll get used to it just like they got used to traveling to Mexico.

Conmebol just can't let more time pass by and not have the Copa being played in the USA, the biggest market there is.

6. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football

For all the people that have some sort of riff with mexican teams and mls teams being asked to part take in the copa libertadores all i have to say that conmebol is just doing right by expanding the cup to north america why people even bring up japan is beyond me... and for all those that cry about making concacrap cups more important all i have to say is why bother when they can take part in the ONLY CUP THAT HAS PRESTIGUE AND IS RECOGNIZED AS THE CUP THAT MAKES YOU #1 IN THE AMERICAS...

I m all for it

is MLS teams ready for it maybe not right now can it help us soccer grow even more yes it can.. you only get better playing against the best and not with inferior opponents......and i have always said whats good for mexican soccer is good for us soccer and fo all those that think different you must see the bigger picture i for one applaude don garber a man who came in not knowing a damn thing to a head executive that wants in on all the major events....

as for any one that may have a mentality of anti concacaf teams in conmebol cups all i have to say is that copa libertadores has grown is such a way that its importance is far beyond anything the history the past champions its only normal that conmebol continues to expand... let conmebol show concacrap the way let them show concacrap how to put on club events and international cups that are sought after and desired...but not at the expense of other conmebol teams which i m sure wont happen

7. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

Elementary my dear Naco, elementary.. . MLS teams can/will prove to be more beneficial to the Copa than the bottom dweling South Am leagues. With the inclusion of MFL and MLS the Libertadores is not only becoming more marketable but in the long run will be more competetive. In the recent years the level of play has been lacking but hopefully all that will change with the North American teams pulling in strong challenges.

8. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand

conmebol must be the only confed that does not have a club or country tournament only for their own teams

truly pathetic

they should choose, let outsiders into the libertadores or the sudamericana not both(the copa america has pretty much gone to hell anyway)

9. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate

Three words: television, television, television.

Adding Mexico, the U.S., and probably throwing a couple of Central American clubs in the mix will make Copa Libertadores a must-see TV event throughout the entire two continents. They're trying to make it a Champions League of the Americas instead of a "local" South American tournament.

That will make CONMEBOL whores in the eyes of many around here, but it's the future and nothing will stop it. Too much potential money involved. Might as well embrace it.

10. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First of all no MLS teams will participate UNTIL atleast 6 teams have SSS. Most importantly DC United, Chicago & NY ( LA & DallasFC already have one) since they will eventually become the faces of the MLS. We can't have this games on NFL stadiums with 10k people in the stands. MLS lacks major home field advantage and a competitive fan atmosphere which is a MUST to have in Copa Libertadores games.
    In the long run having MLS teams in the future will only expand more revenue and sponsorships. When companies realise the big cities in the US have this games coming up they will whore their Beer and Food like they always do. This will eventually benefit every club that participates.

11. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

well if all this money is coming, I want some too!

but seriously, I'm still against the idea, but there's nothing we can do about it, so I guess if it benefits (with money) the s.american teams then I guess theres nothing we can do about it.

12. ecuajhony

ecuajhony New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Maryland-Laurel

jejejeje me too!!!!!!!

WTF is going on with Conmebol, all they want is money

they are forgetting something called "TRADITION"

13. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why not?? money means more competition. The more money a team generates the better chance they got to keep players or sign.

14. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

I totally don't mind having CONCACAF teams in our tournament... CONMEBOL is just expanding its interests throughout the whole continent. The only thing that I don't understand is the fact that these "guest" teams get to start in the round of 16, while teams from our own confederation have to go through 2 elimination rounds to get to the same place. Isn't that a bit unfair? Who is CONMEBOL representing again?

I just want everybody to have a fair shot at the cup, that's all.

15. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

mexican teams have to play the interliga to enter libertadores. even after that guadalajara had to whip cienciano to enter libertadores

16. ecuajhony

ecuajhony New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Maryland-Laurel

Interlina does not belong to Conmebol

17. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

First, Interliga is a tournament created by the Mexican federation, not by CONMEBOL. Every country create their own mechanisns to see which teams qualify for Libertadores... blame your own federatives for the extra amount of games Mexican teams have to play.

Second of all, the third qualified of each country had to play repechaje... including teams belonging to CONMEBOL, so once again, your point is moot.

I think the abuse is even more blantant considering the cup is called Copa Sudamericana. :rolleyes:

18. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

yea, but chivas is CONCACAF not CONMEBOL.
    a lot of CONMEBOL teams had to do the same.
    but its different here in Sudamericana, and that's a little unfair.

19. jcmartins

jcmartins BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 22, 2005
    United States

guys check this site i'm putting it up and it's already awesome... latest news, videos, info, history, jokes, interactive biography, everything about soccer and mostly about our greatest, five time world cup winner brazil: All the info on brazil x croatia, on croatia, and after the game a review of the match will be posted... tune in check out and leave your mark:

www.giantsofbrazil.com

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No, they are creating a new tradition: Who has the money says what is tradition.

21. ecuajhony

ecuajhony New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    Maryland-Laurel

estan todos locos, tu crees que las demas federaciones van a dejar recortar sus equipos para que metan mas de la concacaf

no creo que a brasil o argentina le recorten sus equipos

asi q los unicos NO beneficiados de esta joda las federaciones de colombia ecuador chile etc............

por eso yo me opongo a toda estas gueva****sss

y ademas si el dinero esta en los estados unidos por que chu***s no hacen sus propios torneos y meten plata en sus propias federaciones y se dejan de estar jodiendo alla abajo en sudamerica

22. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

Actually, that's EXACTLY why they are buying their way into our tournaments: our tournaments have tradition and prestige. They WANT to be part of them. If they had a choice between participating in a CONCACAF tournament and a CONMEBOL one, there's no doubt in my mind that they'd choose the latter.

23. NitrousOxide

NitrousOxide New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Serravale San Marino

That is just conmebols insurance policy to keep the money flowing for as long as possible. Because there is a very good chance for example that DC united would not even get passed the first fase if they had to go through elimination rounds. That would cut most if not all of the intrest from americans and reduce the Tv money.

24. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali

Just curious, but did you hear what happened in the '05 Libertadores finals??? Well, Atlético Paranaense had to play in another stadium that was roughly 800kms from their home stadium. Why you might ask, cause their current stadium only holds 24k. To play a final match, you must have a stadium that can hold 42k. So the argument about having SSS isn't valid, especially if the SSS only holds 25k. I believe LA has the biggest SSS & it only holds 27k. The big football stadiums are the only alternative for Libertadores matches. Well if the MLS sides get to a final match. Personally, I think the MLS sides would do like the Venezuelan sides did in the Pre-Libertadores matches vs. Mexican sides. Hardly any of those side were able to qualify for the Libertadores. If you want to get the MLS sides in, then let MLS compete w/ the MFL for them 2 North American slots. The number of slots could be increased, but I don't think there are that many MLS sides that can compete against MFL sides. If you don't believe me, look at what happens in the FC's Copa de Campeónes. The MFL reserve side smash the MLS starters everytime. The result are worse when the matches are played in Mexico. Simply the MLS isn't ready for it. You people that support the MLS should only worry about the Copa de Campeónes. Winning that can get a side in the World Club Cup & that should bring enough prestige.

25. ranciddroog

ranciddroog New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Guatemala city

its great to see mexican and now mls teams in these cups, mexican teams have proved they can make good runs in libertadores (chivas this year for example) mls is a league on the rise its very competitive, they should add a couple of central american teams maybe MUNICIPAL (Guatemala) and Saprissa (costa rica), if american clubs want to have a prestigous cup all of america should be included besides, there is a lot of crappy south american teams in thoose cups anyway, it would be awesome to see an american champions league.