MLS team of the decade

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Yoshou, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we come up on the end of another calendar decade, I figured we’d have a discussion on who everyone thought was the best team of the 201Xs. The trigger for this is an article from MLS where they say the Sounders are the team of the decade. I’m hopelessly biased, so I completely agree with them, of course.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...eattle-sounders?amp&__twitter_impression=true

The rest of the top 5 listed in the article are:

If it weren’t for the last 2016 and 2017, the Galaxy would have walked away with the “title”, but missing the playoffs twice and finishing last undid the dominance of the first half of the decade, IMHO.

HailtotheKing repped this.
  2. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    And, on the business side, the most total butts in seats by far. No argument here.

3. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    So then, the team of the 90's is inarguably DC United. The team of the Aughts? Probably the Galaxy?

They shouldn't count, but you could make a case for the Earthquakes/Dynamo.

4. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's hoping the Sounders prioritize USOC enough to at least play squad players this year, instead of the janitor and the U-14s. But, yes, well done for decade.

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Galaxy have more Cups in the decade, yes? I would say recency bias for Seattle.

More Cups & more Shields trumps Seattle's better USOC haul for me. YMMV. Sounders more consistent over the decade, however.

Team, Cup (1st/2nd), SS, USOC/CC = Tot

1. LAG: 3/0, 2, 0/0 = 5.
    2. Sea: 2/1, 1, 3/1 = 6.
    3. TFC: 1/2, 1, 6 = 8.
    4. SKC: 1/0, 0, 3 = 4.
    5. NYRB: 0/0, 3, 0/1 = 3
    -------------------
    6. ATL: 1/0, 0, 1/0 = 2.
    7. FCD: 0/1, 1, 1/0 = 2.
    -------------
    8. Port: 1/1, 0, 0/0 = 1.
    9. COL: 1/0, 0, 0/0 = 1.
    10. Hou: 0/2, 0, 1 = 1.
    T11. SJE: 0/0, 1, 0/0 = 1.
    T11. LAFC, 0/0, 1, 0/0 = 1.
    13. DCU: 0/0, 0, 1/0 = 1.
    ------------
    T14. RSL: 0/1, 0, 0/1 = 0.
    T14. NE: 0/1, 0, 0/1 = 0.
    T14. CLB: 0/1, 0, 0/1 = 0.
    17. Philly: 0/0, 0, 0/3 = 0.
    T18. Fire: 0/0, 0, 0/1 = 0.
    T18. Minny: 0/0, 0, 0/1 = 0.

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  6. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree on the Sounders. We can probably just close this thread and pin it to the top of the forum.

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When talking about best MLS Team of a decade, any decade in MLS history, the very fact that the writer of this article actually typed in FC Dallas is the funniest thing I have read in a while! HAHA!!!

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I started watching in 2014 it's Seattle, unfortunately. Their style of play and late runs into the playoffs haven't made many friends outside of Washington State.

9. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Possibly, although at the rate that MLS progressed over the decade there's some merit in weighting more recent wins more heavily.

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I'd weight recent wins more heavily, but it also means we shouldn't discount the Galaxy's period of suck after Beckham and Donovan left. If the Galaxy hadn't had the 2017 season, they would have easily walked away with the "award". But since they not only had a bad season, but got the wooden spoon in 2017, that should counter one of the Galaxy's MLS Cups (or SS), which brings them back into line with the Sounders when coupled with USOC performance.

11. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    I'd disagree with that. I don't think one lost season should be weighted that heavily.

Ultimately it's 6 trophies to 5, and more spread out across the decade, plus the box office success, which at the end of the day is the story of MLS in the 2010's. The Sounders winning big games at a packed-to-the-gills CenturyLink, that's the image to take from this decade.

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A decade is a long time on which to judge a team. I get that it fits nicely into our base 10 thought processes, tho. This should have waited until 2027, at least.

13. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The clear winner is the team that has existed for exactly one decade.

[​IMG]

Auriaprottu repped this.