MLS Summer friendlies

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by crookeddy, May 19, 2015.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Do we still care about these things or are we tired of this shit? I am kinda meh about them, but lets give it a shot.

L.A. Galaxy are playing Club America July 11 at Stubhub and Barcelona July 21 at the Rose Bowl. You can expect a 90k+ crowd for that one.

2. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    International Champions Cup Schedule
    July 11: LA Galaxy v Club America
    July 14: San Jose Earthquakes v Club America
    July 17: Manchester United v Club America in Seattle
    July 18: PSG v Porto in Toronto
    July 21: LA Galaxy v Barcelona at Rose Bowl
    July 21: Fiorentina v PSG at Red Bull Arena
    July 21: Manchester United v San Jose Earthquakes – TBA
    July 22: New York Red Bulls v Chelsea
    July 24: Fiorentina v Porto in Toronto
    July 25: Chelsea v Paris Saint-Germain Charlotte
    July 25: Manchester United v Barcelona in San Francisco
    July 26: Porto v New York Red Bulls
    July 28: Chelsea v Barcelona in Washington DC
    July 29: Manchester United v PSG in Chicago

2015 US Based Friendlies
    May 2: Orlando City SC vs. Ponte Preta
    May 27: Toronto FC v Manchester City

Mucky and henryo repped this.
  3. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Some of us never cared about this dumb shit.

Though we were (and are) annoyed by it.

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    It was pretty fun seeing superstars playing MLS teams at first. Kansas City beating Manchester United was a big moment for that club. But to say it has worn thin is an understatement.

(TxT) repped this.
  5. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Looks like the Earthquakes haven't even decided where they are playing against Manchester United. If I was them I'd play it at Avaya - add prestige to the stadium and let the Eurosnobs see what a nice facility they got.

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like the game is being played at Cal's Memorial Stadium in Berkeley.

7. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I think those who bash these friendlies because they do not represent real competition kind of miss the point of professional soccer, which is to entertain.

While we can agree that it would be far more entertaining to watch our favorite MLS clubs play "real" games against teams like Manchester United, Chelsea and Barcelona, surely we can also agree that there is some entertainment value to be had in watching our local clubs take the field with some of the biggest names in the sport.

I think that some of the negativity towards these games comes from an inferiority complex. The thought is that a "real" club with "real" supporters wouldn't legitimize these friendlies the way we do in this country. But I really believe that the average premier league club supporter would rather watch a Wednesday night friendly against Barcelona than a weekend league fixture with a bottom-half-of-the-table club. Maybe not every week, but certainly once or twice a year.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might agree with you if my local club ever too the field with some of the biggest names in the sport. While I enjoyed Everton and even Swansea when it happened at this point I'd rather skip the random mid-level EPL team or top Mexican team friendly.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  9. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    I can definitely understand that.

10. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Confimed. Has any team played in more stadiums than the Earthquakes? Are there any more stadiums in the bay area for them to play in?

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cal State East Bay has yet to be used by them I don't think. But yeah they've played at quite a few stadia over the years. But then again they are NorCal's team so nice to see them coming to the people rather than just parking their asses at home like a certain SoCal team seems to do.

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    ??? The Galaxy? The Galaxy have played games at the Rose Bowl, the Coliseum, UCLA's stadium, Titan Stadium, Dodger Stadium, and the Stubhub Track Stadium... How is that not enough?

Namrog The Just repped this.
  13. Bradford 10

Bradford 10 Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So City finish out their season on Sunday, fly out to Toronto and play 3 days later. Then head down to Houston the NEXT DAY and play again. Nice bit of scheduling. I'm sure it will be a cracking game at BBVA loaded with their star players. Ha Ha. Probably why there are tickets still available even though season ticket holders got them included.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Call me when they've played at Spartan Stadium, Buck Shaw Stadium, Avaya Stadium, Oakland Coliseum, Candlestick Park, AT&T Park, Memorial Stadium, Stanford Stadium, Cagan Stadium, Raley Field, Kezar Stadium and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others not including spring training venues. The Quakes have taken being NorCal's team very seriously in terms of getting around.

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I think Manchester City vs New York City would be a fun one some time down the road.

16. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Well the Galaxy have pretty much played in every stadium of appropriate size in L.A. County so I am not sure what your point is here...

Namrog The Just repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #18 don gagliardi, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Quakes have also played at San Jose Police Athletic League (PAL) Stadium. Friendlies vs. Houston Dynamo (2008) and local "all-stars" (2009). :)

Edit: And Nogeasco Stadium in San Francisco (USF home field).

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point was that the Quakes have played at all the stadiums of appropriate size and many that aren't appropriate size all over the Bay Area and Northern California. And they're still mobile to this day where the Galaxy seem much more inclined to just sit at Carson unless they're playing a club like Barca or ManU.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as official "home" stadiums and not one-offs for friendlies, USOC games, or big attendance matches the Fire have the most at 4. Soldier Field, Naperville, Soldier Field 2, and Toyota Park. KC, Dallas, Colorado, and SJ have all played in 3 "home" stadiums.

20. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes did play at CSUEB (I think it was still Cal State Hayward back then) as the road team in a friendly against the Bay Area Seals in 2000.

For official competition home games, the Quakes have played in 12 different stadiums.

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Impressive. (That there are 12 stadiums in the Bay Area, and that they have played in all of them)

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incorrect. San Jose has played in 4. Spartan, Buck Shaw, Oakland Coliseum and Avaya. The Coliseum was listed by the team and league as one of their official home stadiums (not just a one off) for 2008 and 2009 due in part to Buck Shaw not being ready when play began in 2008. Thankfully it wasn't a long lasting arrangement as the field layout was terrible.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many games did they play in Oakland?

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW the official press release from Anta Clara and the recap from WVHooligan both make it clear that their primary home was Buck Shaw and only mention McAfee in regards to "big-attendance" games:
    http://www.santaclarabroncos.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/102607aaa.html
    http://wvhooligan.com/2007/10/earthquakes-calling-santa-clara-home/

Even the club's history page says that Buck Shaw was announced as their temporary venue with some games being played at McAfee.

http://www.sjearthquakes.com/club/history

So I'm going to stick with 3 primary "home" stadiums for the EQuakes.