MLS Sized Stadiums -- Personal Favorites

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by triplet1, Nov 26, 2007.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Could be quite interesting in the Scottish D2 next season, with Rangers, and both the Edinburgh teams in there together.

Whatever they're smoking, I don't want any of it. Heart's average attendance is around 10-12k, and even when Rangers and Celtic are in town, they don't fill the place as it is. Expanding to 26k makes no sense.

2. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    Meter

3. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meter? I think it's yards.

4. BamaMan

BamaMan Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Club:
    Esbjerg fB
    I actually attended the season opener there in 2009. Great arena, great city, and great team. EfB actually won the Danish Cup year before last. They're my favorite European side.

Antique repped this.
  5. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #355 lfcli30, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
    I know it's not necessarily popular in the football world right now, but I'd love to see some of the new teams go with a Camden Yards approach...retro feeling with modern amenities. Some lost grounds in the UK oozed character that these new grounds don't have. A few of my favorites

1) Filbert Street: Liecester
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2) Roker Park: Sunderland
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few more of my favorites:

Charlton - The Valley
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Victoria Ground-Stoke
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lfcli30

lfcli30 Member

Jun 21, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Found another old picture of the Filbert Street main stand (footballgroundguide.co.uk has a section dedicated to old stands and grounds).

For me, while I do think these new and modern stadia in MLS are nice and good for football, there's very little about each individual stadium that's unique. I know that ADA requirements and luxury boxes means that making carbon copy replicas of these old grounds is an impossibility, but I do think that adding distinctive features like a gable or a distinct stand can add character to the grounds in the league. Making these stadiums seem timeless instead of jamming hyper modern and cookie cutter like a lot of the grounds around the world (that is my only complaint about Red Bull Arena).

If you look at some of these older grounds you can see the charm in them, even if they may look old and run down. I'd like to see the new stadiums coming into the league over the next 15-30 years (and those that will need to be replaced) try to find a way to make the construction of the stands unique.
    [​IMG]

Here's the beautiful old Trinity Road Stand, which is a prime example of what I'd view as timeless. Obviously more modern technology may allow for that stand to have the roof without the supports.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Centuria20

Centuria20 Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    HAZZA BIN ZAYED STADIUM

Capacity
    25 000

Country UAE

City Al-Ain

Clubs Al-Ain Club

Floodlights 1,700 lux

Inauguration 23/01/2014 (Al Ain - Al Dhafra)

Construction 07/2012 - 28/12/2013

Cost € 145 million

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    I just hope new stadiums have the stands as close as possible to the pitch and not waste space by have too large of a supporter section or section the cameras are on. A steep Kop stand behind one net with safe terracing is perfect.

10. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd love to see Miami and NYCFC do something similar. Big grandstand, triple deck very steep, and single large single bowl behind one goal for home supporting group, and smaller single or double tier on other side. With biggest scoreboards in MLS and roof covering all stands.

11. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    I like stadium seating where the fans are a little more on top of the action.

Unak78 and MiLo4891 repped this.
  12. MiLo4891

MiLo4891 Member

May 14, 2007
    FLL
    I agree.I think that stadium is very close to the pitch and that's a plus. But I hope that NYCFC or Miami will have at least a triple deck grandstand and have the take be very steep aka Mestalla stadium and that he supportor section be a safe standing Kop ... All with a low hanging roof

13. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That looks really awkward. The other shots from the inside look pretty cool, but from this angle... weird. Does anyone know if another stand is being built?

14. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, my favorite MLS sized stadium IS an MLS stadium.

Rio Tinto, home to RSL. Sight lines are good, and oh, that view of the mountains.

Disclaimer: This all changes when The Loon Palace is done... :)

15. Flint17

Flint17 New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Total bias but I love my home team's stadium!

Karaiskakis Stadium - Olympiacos
    Capacity - 32,115

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

I love the simple, symmetrical layout of the stands. I think it would fit perfect for some of the better drawing teams in MLS.

16. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    It would be but MLS teams need as many suites as it can find or it's not worth it for them otherwise I like this stadium.

17. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    40 suites according to wiki, but I guess it might be important to have pitch level suites nowadays?

18. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    RafaLarios repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #369 Paul Berry, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
    20,000 seat stadium built on the cheap for top flight football, it's spent most of it's life in the bottom two divisions on average about 1/4 full.
    upload_2017-5-12_13-16-58.png
    Notts County FC, Meadow Lane Stadium, Nottingham
    upload_2017-5-12_13-24-37.png
    Notts, Forest and Trent Bridge cricket ground.