MLS Power Rankings: 2013

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Fiosfan, Mar 6, 2013.

1. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The former.

2. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the 2013 MLS ELO+ ratings and points predictions for 06/16.
    Code:
    Rank Team  ELO+   Rank Team Points
     1   POR   128     1   MTL   63.8
     2   MTL   121     2   POR   59.6
     3   DAL   118     3   DAL   57.8
     4   SEA   118     4   SEA   55.4
     5   RSL   114     5   RSL   53.2
     6   NYR   110     6   NYR   52.9
     7   VAN   109     7   HOU   49.9
     8   HOU   103     8   PHI   49.0
     9   PHI   102     9   VAN   48.5
    10   LAG   101    10   SKC   47.7
    11   CLB   101    11   NER   46.9
    12   COL   100    12   LAG   46.5
    13   SKC    99    13   CLB   45.7
    14   NER    98    14   COL   44.0
    15   SJE    96    15   SJE   41.2
    16   CHI    84    16   CHI   35.7
    17   TOR    76    17   TOR   31.3
    18   CHV    68    18   CHV   27.7
    19   DCU    54    19   DCU   19.3

The average number of games played per team is now 14.5 (K=13.8), and so far home teams have a winning percentage of 0.601 (H=20).

3. Zona

Zona Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My rankings are based on a model which measures the following factors:
    • Offensive and defensive strengths for each team
    • Home advantage
    • A general time dependence within each game (I am finding that the probability of scoring tends to increase as the game progresses)
    • Changing probability of scoring based on the current score of a game. The general trend is that teams that are behind have an enhanced probability of scoring while those ahead tend to have a slightly decreased probability.
    The rankings are based on Monte Carlo simulations of all remaining games this season.
    I welcome any comments on these results, mostly because I am still trying to make sure my code is fully debugged.
    [​IMG]

4. Zona

Zona Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's try that again.
    [​IMG]

Allez RSL and Jough repped this.
  5. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, so here's last weeks ratings. Glad I'm not gonna fall too far behind, as the games next week are still gonna be part of Week 16. Had another daughter on Monday (second spawn). Home on Friday. Running on a good 10 hours of sleep in the last 72. Weeee! I love late night coffee.

Anyway, here's the numbers. Hard to take anything too seriously, as most teams "cruised" on their Week 14 rankings, but still, looks pretty good. The gulf between the top 2/3rds of the league and the bottom third (Chicago, San Jose, Chivas, Toronto and DC) is actually pretty impressive... Make of that what you will.

The table.

week15rank.png

The graph.

week15graph.png

redinthemorning repped this.
  6. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    This is cool. I'd be interested in seeing your methodology in detail.

7. Zona

Zona Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am planning on writing up my methods and results once I have run the code on several more years of data.

8. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, getting caught up again. Numbers through June 19th. No commentary other than whoever said that having your second kid is easier than having your first needs to get punched in the dick until they're infertile. Movement might look a little screwy given the weird scheduling. Next week may not be better...

Anyway, rankings...

week16rankings.png

Graph.

week16graph.png

I'm going to bed.

9. JoeCelt

JoeCelt Member+

Jul 7, 2012
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
  10. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They've got Dallas, who managed to come back from 2-0 down this past weekend, behind Seattle, who not only managed to NOT come back from 2-0 down this past weekend, but could barely managed two shots on goal.

Never change, ESPN.

11. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the 2013 MLS ELO+ ratings and points predictions for 06/24.
    Code:
     1   POR   128     1   MTL   65.6
     2   MTL   125     2   POR   60.3
     3   RSL   119     3   RSL   56.5
     4   DAL   114     4   DAL   55.9
     5   SEA   113     5   SEA   53.1
     6   VAN   109     6   PHI   51.6
     7   PHI   107     7   NYR   50.4
     8   LAG   107     8   LAG   50.3
     9   NYR   105     9   VAN   49.3
    10   SKC   101    10   SKC   48.3
    11   CHI    99    11   NER   46.7
    12   NER    98    12   HOU   46.4
    13   HOU    98    13   CHI   43.6
    14   CLB    93    14   CLB   41.4
    15   COL    91    15   COL   39.9
    16   SJE    87    16   SJE   37.2
    17   TOR    80    17   TOR   32.3
    18   CHV    63    18   CHV   25.1
    19   DCU    63    19   DCU   22.9

The average number of games played per team is now 15.8 (K=12.7), and so far home teams have a winning percentage of 0.610 (H=22).

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Shrug. Dallas was at home and eeked out a draw after SKC went down a man for an extended period.

Seattle was on the road and lost to an RSL team that's now got the most points in the league.

It's close between those two, but FCD has no MLS wins in June.......................[do have that win against Houston in the USOC]

I'd put FCD ahead of Seattle as they're got about 8 more points in the table if I remember correctly.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't get me wrong. I care not one whit about subjective "power rankings," since the rankings that matter are at the end of the season and at the end of the MLS Cup final.

But they do amuse me, since they appear to be a chance for America's soccer writers to show off their own personal biases as if they are somehow an authoritative opinion on who's good and who's not. Fortunately, they have zero impact on the rankings that matter, unlike a popular sporting competition in this country that actually determines its champion based on silliness like "the eyeball test."

14. Zona

Zona Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are my updated rankings. I decided to change how I calculate them slightly. Before, I added the probabilities for each unplayed game to the current records of each team. This is fine if the point is predicting where teams will end up, but I feel like these rankings are more about which team is better. To remove any bias caused by imbalanced schedules, I have decided to simulate the outcomes as if the season was a home-away, 36-game schedule.

[​IMG]

The first thing I noticed is how high the Revs are in these rankings. I think their 5-0 win over the Galaxy probably makes them look a bit better than they are. My method is based entirely on goals (the model does not explicitly concern itself with who wins or loses games) so a blowout can make a big difference.
    The next thing I notice is how bad the ranking is for FC Dallas. There is a little bit of noise in these numbers because they were derived from a Monte Carlo simulation, but probably not enough to explain their low numbers.
    The number of goals predicted is 890.4 for an average of 2.60 per game (compared to 2.64 per game last season). The number of draws is 87.66 (26%) compared to 24% which ended in draws last year. These are both nice checks to make sure my code is behaving reasonably.

15. aletheist

aletheist Member+

Nov 17, 2010
    Olathe, Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are the 2013 MLS ELO+ ratings and points predictions for 06/30.
    Code:
     1   POR   128     1   MTL   60.1
     2   RSL   124     2   POR   59.9
     3   DAL   115     3   RSL   58.9
     4   VAN   114     4   DAL   55.8
     5   MTL   113     5   NYR   52.5
     6   SEA   112     6   SEA   52.4
     7   NYR   108     7   VAN   51.6
     8   PHI   106     8   PHI   50.9
     9   SKC   105     9   SKC   50.7
    10   LAG   100    10   LAG   46.8
    11   CHI    99    11   NER   46.8
    12   COL    99    12   HOU   45.0
    13   NER    98    13   CHI   44.0
    14   HOU    95    14   COL   44.0
    15   SJE    93    15   SJE   39.9
    16   CLB    89    16   CLB   39.7
    17   TOR    76    17   TOR   30.5
    18   CHV    67    18   CHV   25.9
    19   DCU    59    19   DCU   21.4

The average number of games played per team is now 16.6 (K=12.0), and so far home teams have a winning percentage of 0.604 (H=21).

16. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way behind now, apologies. Lots of weird movement in the middle this week. I think callups and the like made things screwy, combined with a more dynamic model and a lot of teams seemingly unable to figure out how they want to play this season.

Table.

week17rankings.png

Graph.

week17graph.png

17. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing those rankings are not taking into account this last weekends matches, with Colorado dropping 4 spots after beating Montreal and Montreal climbing back to #1 after losing at home. NY dropping 6 spots after winning, LA climbing 5 spots after losing.

18. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Correct, gonna try to work on those rankings right now. I'm also gonna double check those numbers, as there was a lot more movement than normal. I think maybe the middle of the league really is that tight right now though, so it may not be weird...

19. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Wow, I got busy and/or lazy and it's been awhile since I've posted. I made a change in what I'm displaying here, the change (Chng) is now a full months change, not a week-to-week change. I made that change to try to show a little bit more of the short term form of each team. So, despite Portland not being at the top of my slow moving Elo ratings, you can see that they are up 57 points in the last month, which is way more forward momentum than most other teams. RSL, Portland, Vancouver, and Chicago have had good months and are trending well, Los Angeles, New York, Houston, and DC have had bad months and are trending poorly.

Montreal still in the lead for Supporter's Shield according to my numbers, but Real Salt Lake, Seattle, and Portland are within 3.5 points.

2013.06.30.png

henryo and Allez RSL repped this.
  20. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bah. Still more behind than I'd like.

All matches current through June 29th. Still a lot of movement in the middle of the table. Still a little wonky due to international stuff and 3 teams off, but looking decent. Look at Chicago go.

week18rankings.png

Week18Graph.png

henryo repped this.
  21. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmkay, here's all matches up through July 3rd. Gonna try to get the rest done this morning while I've still got coffee in my system and mindless online training to sit through.

Seattle the big mover, New England the big loser, still really crowded in the middle but maybe starting to spread a bit.

Table.

week19ratings.gif

Graph.

week19graph.png

Attached Files:

henryo repped this.
  22. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, caught up. One thing I'm starting to think is that including the FOTW ranking in the overall ranking is good, but perhaps should not be weighted equally with season long performance, as some screwy results are starting to creep in. Case in point being Houston winning yet dropping two points, while Philadelphia loses and remains in their #5 spot (which is also arguably high). I think there's a bit too much rank skewness going on based on result results and not enough overall big picture trend analysis happening, but I don't plan on changing it again this season. Make a note for next year and move on.

The graph is probably a better illustration of relative rankings and movement/trends than the raw table, truth be told.

week20rankings.gif

week20graph.png

henryo and Allez RSL repped this.
  23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, you're going to have to explain this one to me. Colorado loses to San Jose, Chicago, and Portland and drops 4 spots (makes sense). Beats Montreal in Montreal and doesn't move at all (huh?), then beats NY and draws DC and drops 3 spots (when compared to the 4 drop spot after 3 losses, WTF?)?

24. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah. Yes. It seems a little not intuative. The "problem" is that it's a relative ranking system, so as other teams perform better over a five game stretch a team may not jump up or drop down as much after a win or less as they seemingly should. Right now the middle of the league is really tight. Last week Colorado, LA, Chicago, and Kansas City were all tied on identical ratings. Because LA and Kansas City won they were able to overtake Colorado on the draw. Chicago also stayed ahead despite the loss based on their five year form, but Chicago is now trending down.

Right now LA, New England, Seattle, Kansas City, Dallas, Chicago, and Colorado are all within 2.5 ranks of each other, but since I'm not doing "ties", it seems like there's 6 positions between LA and Colorado, when performance wise their form is almost idential. The relative movement between those teams is going to be screwy for awhile methinks...

Here's a ZOOM-ENHANCE! shot that might make things a little more confusing...

wtf.png

I'd be happy to throw the whole thing up on Google docs for anyone who wants to look at it, though I can't promise it would make that much sense.

henryo and JasonMa repped this.
  25. Jough

Jough Member+

Jul 30, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe this helps. Here's the spreadsheets "season long" rank, last five game rank, and the average rank, which is what I've been reporting/graphing. Over the course of the season, Colorado has been the 9th best team. Over the last 5 weeks, they've been 11th best. Though that gives them an average rank of 10th, an average rank of 10th actually puts them as the 12th best team in the league when considering the season as a whole and the last 5 weeks.

rankingclarification.gif

henryo and fuzzx repped this.