MLS Playoff Race: 2 August [R]

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by HalaMadrid, Aug 2, 2002.

1. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    <table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" border="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="Top" colspan="8" bgcolor="#330099"><div align="Center"><font color="#cccccc"><u><big><big><big><b>MLS PLAYOFF RACE</b></big></big></big></u></font><br></div></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#ff6600"><div align="Left"><font color="#000000"><big><b>TEAM</b><br></big></font></div></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#ff6600"><div align="Left"><font color="#000000"><big><b>GP</b><br></big></font></div></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#ff6600"><div align="Left"><font color="#000000"><big><b>W</b></big></font></div></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#ff6600"><div align="Left"><font color="#000000"><big><b>T</b></big></font></div></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#ff6600"><div align="Left"><font color="#000000"><big><b>L<br></b></big></font></div></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#ff6600"><div align="Left"><font color="#000000"><big><b>GD</b><br></big></font></div></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#ff6600"><div align="Left"><font color="#000000"><big><b>PTS</b></big></font></div></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#ff6600"><font color="#000000"><big><b>GAMES LEFT</b></big></font></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" colspan="8"><u>SUPPORTERS SHIELD RACE</u><br></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#3366ff"><big><b><font color="#ffffff">San Jose (W)</b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">21<br></td><td valign="Top">12<br></td><td valign="Top">2<br></td><td valign="Top">7<br></td><td valign="Top">+14<br></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#009900"><big><b>38</b></big></td><td valign="Top">vDC, vDAL, @COL,<br>@DC, vCLB, @LA, vLA<br></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#cc0000"><big><b>Dallas</b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">20<br></td><td valign="Top">8<br></td><td valign="Top">7<br></td><td valign="Top">5<br></td><td valign="Top">+1<big><b><br></b></big></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#009900"><big><b>31</b></big></td><td valign="Top">vCHI, @MET, @SJ, vLA,<br>@COL, vMET, vNE, @DC<br></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#3333ff"><big><b><font color="#ffffff">Kansas City</font></b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">21<br></td><td valign="Top">8<br></td><td valign="Top">7<br></td><td valign="Top">6<br></td><td valign="Top">+1<br></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#009900"><big><b>31</b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">@DC, @CHI, vCLB,<br>@LA, vCHI, vCOL, @COL<br></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" colspan="8"><u>PLAYOFF HUNT</u><br></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#ffcc00"><big><font color="#009900"><b>Los Angeles</b></font></big><br></td><td valign="Top">19<br></td><td valign="Top">9<br></td><td valign="Top">3<br></td><td valign="Top">7<br></td><td valign="Top">+1<br></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="yellow"><big><b>30</b></big></td><td valign="Top">vNE, @CLB, vCOL, vKC,<br>@DAL, vMET, @CHI, vSJ, @SJ<br></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#006600"><big><b><font color="#ffffff">Colorado</font></b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">21<br></td><td valign="Top">9<br></td><td valign="Top">3<br></td><td valign="Top">9<br></td><td valign="Top">-5<br></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="yellow"><big><b>30</b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">vCLB, @LA, vSJ,<br>@NE, vDAL, @KC, vKC<br></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" bgcolor="red"><big><b>Metrostars (E)</b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">21<br></td><td valign="Top">9<br></td><td valign="Top">2<br></td><td valign="Top">10<br></td><td valign="Top">+1<br></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="yellow"><big><b>29</b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">vDAL, vDC, @LA,<br>@DAL, vDC, @DC, @NE<br></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" bgcolor="red"><big><b><font color="#ffffff">Chicago</font></b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">20<br></td><td valign="Top">8<br></td><td valign="Top">4<br></td><td valign="Top">8<br></td><td valign="Top">+5<br></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="yellow"><big><b>28</b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">@DAL, vKC, @NE, vNE,<br>@KC, vLA, vCLB, @CLB<br></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" bgcolor="yellow"><big><b>Columbus</b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">21<br></td><td valign="Top">8<br></td><td valign="Top">4<br></td><td valign="Top">9<br></td><td valign="Top">-3<br></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="yellow"><big><b>28</b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">@COL, vLA, @KC,<br>vNE, @SJ, @CHI, vCHI<br></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" colspan="8">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -<br></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#000066"><big><b><font color="#ffffff">New England</font></b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">20<br></td><td valign="Top">7<br></td><td valign="Top">1<br></td><td valign="Top">12<br></td><td valign="Top">-7<br></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="red"><big><b>22</b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">@LA, vCHI, @CHI, vCOL,<br>@CLB, vDC, @DAL, vMET<br></td></tr><tr><td valign="Top" bgcolor="#000000"><big><b><font color="#ffffff">DC United</font></b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">20<br></td><td valign="Top">6<br></td><td valign="Top">3<br></td><td valign="Top">11<br></td><td valign="Top">-8<br></td><td valign="Top" bgcolor="red"><big><b>21</b></big><br></td><td valign="Top">vKC, @SJ, @MET, vSJ,<br>@NE, @MET, vMET, vDAL<br></td></tr></tbody></table><br>(W) or (E): Division Leader<br><br><u>TIEBREAKERS</u><br>1) Head-to-Head<br>2) Goal Differential<br>3) Total Goals<br>4) Rules #1-3 (Road Games)<br>5) Rules #1-3 (Home Games)<br>6) Fewest Disciplinary Points<br>7) Coin Toss<br><br><u>CURRENT PLAYOFF MATCHUPS</u><br>(1) San Jose v Columbus (8)<br>(2) Metrostars v Chicago (7)<br>(3) Dallas v Colorado (6)<br>(4) Kansas City v Los Angeles (5)<br><br><u>TEAMS STILL INVOLVED IN US OPEN CUP</u><br>San Jose, Colorado, Los Angeles, Dallas, Columbus,<br>Metrostars, Kansas City (Quarterfinals)<br><br><u>TEAMS STILL INVOLVED IN FC CHAMPIONS' CUP</u><br>Kansas City (Semifinals)<br><br>

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    help me out here ....

could you explain the supporter's shield? does it just go to the top team in the league? is it an official MLS thing? if not, who started it.

thanks for the help.

3. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Supporters' Shield is an award for the team that finishes the regular season in first place. Past winners:

1996 Tampa Bay Mutiny
    1997 DC United
    1998 Los Angeles Galaxy
    1999 DC United
    2000 Kansas City Wizards
    2001 Miami Fusion

The Shield was created by supporters. Sam Pierron spearheaded the idea, but it took donations from many supporters all over the country to get the award made. I believe it was completed in 1998? so the 97 and 96 achievements were recognized retroactively.

The idea was to honor the achievement of "winning the league". Some people think the award is not that important since there's not a balanced schedule. Personally, I look at it as another piece of silverware, and ALL silverware is important.

The Shield is given to the supporters during MLS Cup weekend, at the Supporters Summit I believe. What the supporters do with it for that year is uncertain, but the Mystics presented it to the Wizards in 2000 and it spent the year in the Wizards trophy case at Arrowhead. Technically it is not 'an official MLS thing' but the league isn't trying to discourage it either. I don't know about other teams, but the Wizards have banners on the walls at Arrowhead that read 2000 MLS Cup Winners and matching banners that read 2000 Supporters Shield Winners that are placed just as prominently and are the same size as the Cup winners banners.

4. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA should probably be included in the Supporters Shield race. They're only a point behind Dallas and Kansas City, they've a game in hand on Dallas and two in hand on Kansas City, and they've got two games against San Jose remaining this season.

5. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Yup. But it's a judgement call on my part, and a week-to-week thing...and as I've said in the pass, I will do LA (nor Dallas, nor Metro) any favors when it comes to judgement calls.

6. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    How is that a favor? If you're using your judgement and not a strict set of rules you HAVE to take those things into account.

If you said, well I just cound the top 3 teams, then sure you'd have to leave LA out regardless of how many games in hand they have, but since you're doing it with your own mind (albeit a fire fan's mind =)), you need to take things into account such as games in hand, etc.

Keep up the good work!

7. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You answered your own question. ;)

8. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally personal opinion, but I think you should list the top team in the East at the top of the playoff hunt list because they are going to get the #2 seed.

Thanks for the info.

9. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    I list them as the #2 seed every week for the past three seasons under the table in the "Playoff Matchups" listing.

They are designated as Eastern leaders by virtue of having a big 'E' by their name.

I think it's pretty clear already.

10. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thanks Hala, its always good to look at your table just to remind myself how much the eastern conference sucks this year.

11. Joe Hadar

Joe Hadar New Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Midwest
    Why are all of the teams so close to .500 ?

12. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Shouldn't DC be included in the Supporter's Shield run?? If we can get our offense clicking, we could be dangerous. :D

13. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Updated table will be in place tonight.

14. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Probably because most of teams have won about half of their games and lost about half of their games. :)

15. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before or after tonights matches finish?

16. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    yea, it's not like I want to go to MLSnet for the CURRENT standings...

;)

thanks