MLS Playoff Conference Finals

Discussion in 'MLS Referee Forum' started by Dayton Ref, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The assignments for the 2018 MLS Playoffs Conference Finals are:

11/25/18

Eastern Conference Final First Leg

Atlanta United v New York Red Bulls
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium (5PM ET)
    REF: Kevin Stott
    AR1: Adam Wienckowski
    AR2: Corey Parker
    4TH: Allen Chapman
    VAR: Drew Fischer
    AVAR: Cameron Blanchard

Western Conference Final First Leg

Portland Timbers v Sporting Kansas City
    Providence Park (7:30PM ET)
    REF: Robert Sibiga
    AR1: CJ Morgante
    AR2: Corey Rockwell
    4TH: Ted Unkel
    VAR: Edvin Jurisevic
    AVAR: Jeremy Hanson

11/29/18

Western Conference Final Second Leg

Sporting Kansas City v Portland Timbers
    Children’s Mercy Park (7PM ET)
    REF: Mark Geiger
    AR1: Joe Fletcher
    AR2: Matthew Nelson
    4TH: Baldomero Toledo
    VAR: Dave Gantar
    AVAR: Logan Brown

Eastern Conference Final Second Leg

New York Red Bulls v Atlanta United
    Red Bull Arena (9:30PM ET)
    REF: Jair Marrufo
    AR1: Frank Anderson
    AR2: Brian Poeschel
    4TH: Ismail Elfath
    VAR: Christopher Penso
    AVAR: Brian Dunn

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice of PRO to finally publish the VARs itself.

I am a bit surprised Geiger got 3 playoff whistles, but that's a pleasant surprise.

It almost certainly has to be Kelly on MLS Cup again. Toledo and Unkel seem like the only outside considerations. But I can't imagine Kelly not working one of the final five matches given how good of a year he seemingly had.

YoungRef87 and ManiacalClown repped this.
  3. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Making my life easier

4. nylaw5

nylaw5 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    West Coast
    We sure that Fisher is totally out of the equation? If it's true that he isn't full-time and that takes him out of contention, then I'm in on Kelly.

If not, I have Fisher with the whistle. No playoff middles in 2018 (he has done them in years past) and a pretty steady year while PRO assigned him some of their high profile regular season matches.

Also, Toronto isn't playing in MLS Cup for the first time in two years. Not that this should factor in, but "perception" and stuff....

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m pretty confident Fischer is out of the equation.

Employment status has nothing to do with it, though. Fischer had a lot of games. So did Penso. So did Villarreal. They all had a couple games that likely dipped their overall assessment scores a little lower than needed for playoff assignments. If you haven’t seen a referee in the playoffs so far, you won’t see them on MLS Cup. I’m 99% confident in saying that.

So you’re left with Kelly as the obvious choice. Toledo or Unkel if for some reason they don’t want to use Kelly again so quickly.

6. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unkel would be sweet.

7. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    from these games so far it seems to be "who will call the fewest fouls" that will get the game. A bit surprised to see Sibiga after his earlier troubles.

8. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I thought Sibiga was okay on the Timbers game. He kept it really tight which I (as a non-neutral Timbers fan) found unfair as it played into SKC's gameplan. It's also tough because after Marrufo let so much go uncalled in the SEA-POR game, to get such a different style for an even more advanced game. So my qualm is not with any specific call but the overall approach. Feels like exactly what a less-experienced playoff referee would do - prioritizing game control over game flow. Anyone else have thoughts?

9. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'm guessing it's dead here (more than usual) because of Thanksgiving weekend?

In the Red Bulls game, anyone have any problem with VAR nullifying the BWP goal after review, ruling that Muyl was in an offside position AND that he was CLEARLY obstructing Guzan's line of vision? Here's the play:

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/m...fc-vs-new-york-red-bulls/details/video/179315

You can make a valid argument why it should stand or why it shouldn't. Why do I think it should?

1) Is Muyl really blocking Guzan's view from 8 yards away? Watch Guzan calmly pick up the ball, clearly not expecting any call to be made.
    2) Guzan seems to be slightly out of position on this play. Does this bail him out as far as the "line of vision" verbiage?
    3) Does this meet the LOTG standard of CLEARLY obstructing and meet FIFA's definition of offside, when you compare other games we've seen around the world this year?

On another note, I don't know how the other semi-final was officiated and if the guys were told to cool it on the cautions, but several plays in the first half were easy yellow cards. Red Bull defender Brandon Murillo went in studs-up and made contact on a slide tackle in what should have at least been a caution, but no foul was even called.

Later, Kaku (I believe it was him), committed a reckless foul, but only advantage was played by Stott. During a stoppage minutes later, Kaku and Tata Martino exchange words and glares over the play. Minutes after this, Kaku purposely barrels into a United player after a loss in possession, resulting in pushing, shoving and trash talk among several guys.

Seems to me that if you officiate the game like you would in the regular season (I know it's unrealistic), this wouldn't have happened. Hard to believe that the first caution wasn't issued until the 61st minute for a tactical foul.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your fan bias might be creeping in a little here. With the presence of VAR, I see no valid argument to allow this goal.

Yes is the answer the question. Point #2 is irrelevant because Guzan can't be sure Muyl is standing in an offside position to begin with.

No, of course not. Why would it and what could that standard possibly be. When the shot is taken, he's looking through a player who is in an OSP and that player obstructs the view of the ball for a period of time. This is the very definition of this category of offside.

I have no idea what "when you compare other games we've seen around the world this year means." The point of officiating--particularly when VAR is involved--is usually to get the call correct. This call was correct.

voiceoflg, IASocFan and chwmy repped this.
  11. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR got the no goal/offside decision correct, no problem there.

I agree that there probably should have been more called early on in the ATL/NY game. There is already bad blood between these teams, and that game was on the edge from the start. I'm surprised Kaku made it through the game without getting the sh!t kicked out of him.

Red Bulls will definitely have to chase the game from the start in the second leg.

12. chwmy

chwmy Member+

Feb 27, 2010
    My only problem with the obstructing view part of the offside rule is that without VAR, these calls are often (?usually) impossible to get right.

In this case stott and his ar didn’t pick it up in the first place- did they talk about a piop and decide he wasn’t obstructing, or did they not have offside on the radar at all? Stott is well positioned and well sighted, as is the AR, and they missed a stone cold offside infraction.

I like the rule. I just don’t know how to get it right consistently without var and that behind the goal view.

Btw kudos to stott. I thought the game simmered and to me he was on top and present. And physically, with Atlanta basically attacking at speed at every chance, to keep up with a game like that at 51, well that’s pretty damn good.

13. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm assuming you have watched MLS playoff games in seasons past? I didn't watch the game, but the fact that there were few cards and few fouls called and overly physical play didn't surprise me at all and really didn't surprise me at all with Stott refereeing.

Nobody should be surprised with how overly physical MLS playoff games are and have been in the past.

The chances of a red card other than for DOGSO in the playoffs are almost slim to none even slimmer with Stott in the middle.

14. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can make an argument if you want, but not a valid one on a referee forum.

https://www.atlutd.com/post/2018/11/26/post-match-quotes-atl-vs-ny

jarbitro, IASocFan and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IASocFan and rh89 repped this.
  16. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
  17. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MassachusettsRef repped this.
  18. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Of course the coach who had his best players avoid suspension will be praising the referee. It doesn't mean this approach is right or that it is conducive to entertaining or more open soccer.

Are there any quotes from any of the attackers from either game praising the overly physical refereeing? We had a goal keeper and two coaches who favor and prefer physical games praising the refereeing. Any quotes from the attacker Russell who took that body check from Chara praising Sibiga.

This is not just an MLS problem. We saw it at the World Cup where referees refused to give obvious and easy yellow cards early in the match and it ruined the quality of the spectacle. We see it creeping into the Champions League as well.

MLS is a league that is naturally high on physicality and low on technical quality to begin with and ratcheting it up that physicality and leniency to even higher levels during the playoffs doesn't make for an open and entertaining game.

To be fair to Sibiga, he did get the Valeri tackle spot on. It's just a foul and not a caution. His cleats were down. The cynical part of me says he is not giving a caution there even if he catches him with the studs.

But the Chara challenge is a 100% yellow card. It's late, the ball is well gone and it's a body check. Completely unnecessary and an easy yellow card. Now that player will be available for the second leg and will be free to commit a yellow card to break up an attack.

I'm not advocating for a referee to come out and just start tossing yellow cards left and right. I understand there needs to be some degree of measure (the Valeri challenge is a great example), but the laws of the game shouldn't be completely subverted and put on its head for the sake of keeping someone like Diego Chara available for the second leg.

19. rh89

rh89 Member

Sep 29, 2015
    OR
    I would challenge this around what you think the purpose of cards are. Except where mandated, aren't cards tools to keep control of the game? And didn't Sibiga manage to keep control of the game without cards? Shouldn't we consider that a success?

After being initially lukewarm with Sibiga's refereeing (from being at the game), I rewatched the televised version and found his performance quite good, resulting in an ultimately fair outcome.

20. FootyPDX

FootyPDX Member

Portland Timbers
    England
    Nov 21, 2017
    Are you talking about the challenge that wasn't even a foul? I've seen similar thing not called all season. Just because everyone was counting on Chara being gone in the next round doesn't mean he should be overly scrutinized either. Was there any evidence that Sibiga was only giving cards to those not on accumulation? Did seem like it watching the game where there were many fouls not called and potentially cards kept in his pocket.

On a side note, nobody has mentioned Zusi's intentional strike to the face that was ignored. Chances of "hands to face" getting him suspended for the next round = 0% MLS and PRO want the playoffs to go a certain way, the regular season rules and points of interest are out the door.

rh89 repped this.
  21. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Outstanding offside call taking back the goal.
    Portland is nearing PI as they foul KC every time they have a break.

IASocFan repped this.
  22. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Very impressed with the Officiating Crew

me116 repped this.
  23. me116

me116 Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Matt Nelson has had two phenomenal offside decisions this game. The first one was gutsy to make, in that he could have been certain that VAR would have bailed him out had he left his flag down, but he nailed it. On the second one, the communication between Geiger and him was clearly the deciding factor in his delayed offside decision. Great work all around.

24. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    and Sadly, Geiger doesn’t give the 2CT.

IASocFan and RedStar91 repped this.
  25. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    And Portland smartly subs out a player that should have already been gone.