"MLS Phoenix Rising"

Discussion in 'Phoenix' started by gilmoreaz, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50,000 tickets sold would have been a pretty damn good showing for support of soccer............

At any rate, I haven't read this thread in it's entirety, but I would be interested in buying a Phoenix Rising jersey or shirt if anyone got around to making them.

2. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Just because there is a big Hispanic population doesn't mean that there will be instant success for an MLS team. Look at Seattle, Portland, and Philadelphia. There's not a huge Hispanic population there and those teams are doing really well with their support. MLS needs to go to a city where soccer is popular with everyone and not just a certain group.

3. SWSoccer

SWSoccer Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need to contact the folks at MLS Phoenix Rising for a shirt.

4. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm moving to Scottsdale in Jan, so the thought of Phoenix having an MLS team makes my mouth water.

5. HSV Hooligan

HSV Hooligan New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Shaker Heights, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't count on it any time soon. The MLS has expanded quite quickly very recently, and so the already stretched-thin talent pool is stretched even thinner...so they're likely not going to do much more expanding in teh short term (no matter what they claim). The quality of the league needs to catch back up to where it was before and once the product on the pitch gets better, they may consider more expansion. However, I have SERIOUS doubts that it will be PHX simply because there is pretty much no fan base, and unless someone can guarantee a decent amount of season tickets being sold, there's no reason to come here instead of another city where they can guarantee season ticket sales (like what Phily and Seattle did).

6. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never got an email back from you guys asking about the Final/tailgate.

7. KATYLAND

KATYLAND Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Just don't light any flares or say anything mean to Beckham. They get really pissed there very easily.

8. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHY DO YOU DO THIS?

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you my Mother? Get off your high horse and stop being the thread police, I can post this under a clearly related thread...

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://ktar.com/story/1124788/could...enix-area-lead-to-a-major-league-soccer-team/

Garrett Cleverly, creator and editor of the Arizona soccer website AZKicksIt.com, said the MLS does market studies, and if the Phoenix-area continues to host international games and fans continue to show up, it could propel Arizona to the forefront of future MLS expansion. He added, though, that fans would need to show up for more than just Copa America or international soccer games.
    “The big question is: Are the fans going to support any professional teams that we do have in town, even the college teams,” Cleverly said. “Major League Soccer chooses cities based off fan support. Philadelphia got their team based on fan support. Phoenix can do it to. People just need to continue to support the soccer programs and the teams that we have in town now.”

12. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think crowds of "1,002" help the cause of pro soccer in Maricopa County.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fair enough...but it is still nearly 30 mins from Phoenix to Peoria...just sayin'

14. amadora2700

amadora2700 Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
  15. thekorean

thekorean Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I hope their stadium plan involves retractable roof because that heat...man.

16. Tom Ado

Tom Ado Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Vitesse's GelreDome is probably the retractable roof stadium that comes the closest to an ideal MLS venue in terms of capacity (21,248 with tarp; 25,500 without).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

amadora2700 repped this.
  17. amadora2700

amadora2700 Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    msilverstein47 repped this.
  18. amadora2700

amadora2700 Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    [​IMG]

TEMPE — In a dirt lot, trucks whir and beep, their sounds filling gaps in the sound of passing traffic. Construction is underway on a temporary soccer stadium for Phoenix Rising FC.

The owners of the team hope that someday the sound is replaced with the roar of thousands of fans supporting a Major League Soccer franchise. They believe they have laid the groundwork — literally and figuratively — to achieve that goal.

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2017/02/23/phoenix-rising-fc-makes-its-case-for-mls-expansion/

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is Drogba not game ready yet? Shouldn't he be playing , even a little by now?

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on your senior thesis about how quickly 39-year-olds who have not played in months should be match fit?

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For someone who was a highly paid superstar just 6 months ago, I would think he would be ready to play on a 2nd tier squad by now. In theory in terms of skills , experience and name alone, he should be levels above everyone else.

23. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do you figure knows better when Didier Drogba is ready to play? Didier Drogba or a guy who used to watch Didier Drogba on television?

He last started a professional match more than 7 months ago. Then he got honked off when he wasn't starting a match late in the year and opted out of the 18 entirely. Supposedly he was not quite match fit because of a back issue.

He was highly paid, I grant you. But no longer a "superstar."

And, again, he knows better than you know.

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They are now saying he could play today.....

Drogba game-time decision vs. Energy