"MLS Phoenix Rising"

Discussion in 'Phoenix' started by gilmoreaz, Mar 8, 2007.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I thought the proposed venture for an MLS expansion team in Phoenix was to have a retractable roof?

2. SWSoccer

SWSoccer Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Mesa, AZ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only references I can find, are of an 'indoor' stadium. I find nothing on retractable roof.

But first things first, we still await Pachuca's decision to pick the Valley for it's U.S. venture.

For continued discussion on all things AZTuzos, I would recommend this thread, as it's the one where you will see posts by Stu Starky, one of the principals of AZTuzosUSA.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I had herd about that somewhere...

4. stustarky@aztuzosusa

Sep 24, 2008
    Well still nothing final... I hope we can issue an updated press release from USL soon. At this point we (I) can only say we are under very serious consideration... Oh by the way no retractable roof. To much money. Sorry for the frustrtations and anxiety but am doing all I can.

One thing I hope everyone understands is that it truly is Pachuca's decision. We have and continue to respond to them as positive as we can with all the facts they request in their discoveries.

I wonder how long it took for Colangelo to get baseball... hey can anyone call him?

Still working at it.

Best
    Stuart

5. stustarky@aztuzosusa

Sep 24, 2008
    Next week we will begin taking names and emails for apotential season ticket list... NO it does not mean we are winners but since some have hopes for us playing at some level next year, we want to be ready to take your money!

6. stustarky@aztuzosusa

Sep 24, 2008
    EXCLUSIVE TO MLS PHOENIXRISING:

Please note the following correspondence and its date to show you that high level negotiations are taking place to complete this project.. Sorry I cannot give you the details of the letter....

With respect
    Stuart Starky:

Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2008 2:41 PM
    To: lbaraldi@baralgroup.com; stustarky@aztuzos.com
    Cc: Grady Harn
    Subject: letter from Director Marco A. Lopez, jr.

Dear Mr. Baraldi,

Please find attached a letter from Director Lopez. Please let me know which address is best to send the original.

Saludos,

Fernando C. Jimenez
    Arizona Department of Commerce
    International Business Development Manager
    International Trade and Investment Division
    1700 W. Washington Street, Suite 220
    Phoenix, Arizona 85007

7. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything new in getting a pro team to the Phoenix Metro?

8. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not be optimistic. There is, supposedly, no movement on a potential USL-1 franchise. USL-2 is unlikely because all of their teams are in the Eastern time zone. There has long been a rumored desire for USL-2 West, but you'd have to have probably 7 teams, at least, to make that even remotely viable. You'd have to get some PDL teams to move up and establish a new team or two.

But the Sahuaros will be playing in two weeks for the right to get into the Open Cup. The tournament is in Scottsdale.

9. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if the Coyotes are leaving that makes the sports market in the valley a little less saturated. Could be an opening for a pro soccer team.

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just need an owner and a place to play, then. Good times.

11. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now don't take this wrong in any way at all Phoenix people, but all of Phoenix's sports teams have one of the WORST fan bases in America.
    So with that, there soccer fan base is one of the BEST out of any city in America. The main reason is due to the huge latino/hispanic population, so it would be very smart for the MLS to put a team in Phoenix.
    Now the one location I could see them building an SSS stadium is in all the open land next to the University of Phoenix stadium and Jobing.com Arena.
    With all of that said, I can't see Phoenix getting an MLS team till 2016/2017, which will be after the additions of St. Louis, Montreal, and Ottawa.

The link below is where I would build the stadium.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&encType=1&cid=AFF83A29181AAA62!135

13. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Then the team would run into the same problems the Coyotes are having - dismal attendance, people unwilling to drive 45 minutes from the east side on a weeknight, etc.

That location could benefit from the latino population that lives in west Phoenix. But the money is on the east side, and it would behoove any possibly MLS team to meet in the middle.

e.g. tear down the coliseum.

14. freakyflow

freakyflow Member

Jul 10, 2009
    az
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If money is on the east side then why is the cardinals stadium on the west side? you make no sense, money is everywhere if anything east side people are usually tight wads and geezers. Bring the stadium to the west side, alot of hispanic people live in this area thus bigger crowds for a futbol game. But they would have to bring in a serious team with no joke of a name, some quality players of different ethnick backgrounds. Coyotes? lol hockey is a boring sport itself that explains the attendance.

15. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Theres a difference in having 8 home games on Sunday afternoons, versus 19 home games on the weekends and during the week. And I'm in a position to know that that is one of the major complaints of ticket holders on the eastside.

Thankfully 19 games is minimal compared to 41, but if you want better than 3000 attendance for a week night game (see Coyotes tonight) you'll have to make a stadium that is more accessible.

And a large hispanic population doesnt equate to anything. Seattle and Toronto lead the league in sell-outs. How is Dallas doing?

16. Tucson_soccer_fan

Feb 11, 2007
    AZ, TUCSON
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hockey is not a boring sport, but interest in this area has to be something that is formed at an early age. There are certainly not many places to play hockey for kids in a state like AZ. Thus, all interest seems to come from transplants.
    As for a stadium on the west as opposed to east side. Obviously I would prefer the east side since I am making a pretty long trip to go to a game, but I will still make to games if it in the west, just not as often.
    I wouldn't tie stadium locations to Hispanic population densities though. That assumes that Hispanics think as one and all like soccer or that they will support the local team. Besides, it is not like there are no Hispanics in the east valley. Also, close proximity to ASU is a an advantage in attracting the younger crowd. Since many students are from all over the country, there is a good possibility that they could be soccer fans as well. Also, assuming that all people in the east are "tight wads and geezers" is a stretch. I am fairly certain there are more than that living in the east.

17. Arkose

Arkose Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can Phoenix not have a team? Seriously, I can't believe that it is a money issue. Someone needs to get their acts together. You have a huge population and a Hispanic population. You have Tucson that has NOTHING ( I know I attended UofA for two years), two big universities that could goto the game. (CaseGrand would be the perfect location for both cities, especially with the fact that teams are already practicing there from the MLS).

I know its no one here's fault. I just see a huge miss by everyone around.

Note: I know though that the game will have to be late and the stands must be covered at least.

Arkose

18. El Sapito

El Sapito New Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Arizona
    Hey everyone... new to the Phx/Expansion topic. Well, new to post something, I've been reading quite a bit over the last year. I don't think there should be a focus on the hispanic market here in AZ because, as a Mexican myself, I know too many hispanics that do not watch any MLS games. I just hope to see a pro team here in Phoenix sometime soon, as we all do.

I found myself following LA when Luis Hernandez had his brief stint back in the day, and have followed them ever since. I would obviously turn my back on any other American team the moment we get a pro team in Phoenix. I would like to be able to attend games and support a local pro team the way I follow my favorite Mexican club. You know, be able to take my kids (dont have any yet but I'm only 25) to see the Phx team.

So this "Phoenix Rising" would be the supporters group that would go to all the home games or would there be various supporter's factions created if we were given a Pro team?

19. PATABOLA

PATABOLA New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Monsoon Country
    Club:
    Club América
    here's the Solution

www.phoenixmonsoon.info

Stay tune Club America vs Pachuca
    July 7 University of Phoenix Stadium

20. ValleyoftheSun

ValleyoftheSun Red Card

May 15, 2010
    Arizona
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for responding to his hockey boring comment as that idiotic. Live Hockey is one of the most exciting sports to watch.

I also agree with most that you have to have it as central valley as you can get. Until it becomes easier to travel from one side of the valley to the other either by a much better public transportation system(which probably will never happen and it spoils me every time I travel to Europe and get around all the time without a car) or they ever finish the southern part of the 202.

It isn't an issue for the Cardinals as some have already mentioned as it is only a once a week event.

If they add mid week Cup matches or regular season matches for a future soccer club, it will be too much of a pain in the behind to fight through all the traffic to get to the other side. I am currently in Chandler.

21. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hockey and Soccer are almost alike. There is always surprises and exciting moments, but you never know when it could happen. You can never take your eye off of the game for a moment.

22. ValleyoftheSun

ValleyoftheSun Red Card

May 15, 2010
    Arizona
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

very interesting.

23. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, that game has been cancelled, because both teams are protesting 1070.
    So that 50,000 of the fans would have been illegals.

24. yojimbo81

yojimbo81 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hispanic population isn't a given. The Mexicans in Chicago didn't care about the Fire until Blanco was signed. Then they showed up with Club America swag and were all about Blanco. They didn't care about the Fire. Many left as soon as he did. Don't assume a large Mexican population is the golden rule.

If no one will go watch the D-Backs and Yotes there's going to be issues filling a soccer stadium. I'd love to see a club here. Just moved down from the midwest. Former Fire season ticket holder. I'd love to get my MLS fix here.

How are the Sauaro (sp?) matches?