MLS or KL

Discussion in 'Korea' started by narasarang, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tagline

Tagline Member

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    Jun 22, 2006
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #51 Tagline, Feb 17, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Did you miss the part of my first post where I was responding to this? I think you're confused.

You either didn't read my first post properly, didn't watch the video, or blocked the user I was responding to.

2. TaegukRedDevil

Jan 30, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You're right, I thought you were just attacking their opinions just because they weren't American. I stand corrected then. I just HATE it when people do this.

DynamoManiac and Tagline repped this.
  3. Tagline

Tagline Member

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    Jun 22, 2006
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    LOL. Dude, I'm the guy who started KPA armageddon with a single "HIB @ Vancouver Whitecaps" thread. I'm one of the biggest MLS fans here.

DynamoManiac and TaegukRedDevil repped this.
  4. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Why are people considering this to be some joke? Are we really comparing league that generates $100m a year in TV vs a league that does $5m? The MLS can field multiple teams filled with players that played in the world cup but the K-League can't field a single team.

5. TaegukRedDevil

Jan 30, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Your statements can be applied to the Chinese Super League as well. But is the CSL better than K-league? I don't think so.

6. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    A few questions to expand your thinking:

• Korean players are too good for the K-League. So they end up where?
    • Korean coaches are too good for the K-League. So they end up where?

These same questions were asked about the J-League about a decade ago, when you found yourselves in comfort that the K-League is better than the J-League, purely based on ACL results.

• What happened to the J-League in comparison to the K-League a decade later?

I do think that the average K-Liga player is better than a CSL player. But you do realize that there is one variable that is a direct correlation with league strength, right? Money. Investments reap benefits, my friend.

7. TaegukRedDevil

Jan 30, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    A few good individual players (Korean national team starters, players like Oscar, Hulk, Ramires, etc.) per team cannot make the team good when everyone else on the team is garbage (Chinese players). Football is very much a team sport, and so having 3 or 4 good players out of the entire team do not somehow make a team good. And there's a limit to how much a coach can get out of his players if the skill level of the players on average are just terribly low.

8. Kangin16

Kangin16 Red Card

Valencia
    Feb 13, 2019
    Look at these butthurt Americans congregate and contemplate their denial after being told the TRUTH. Hahahaha. K-League is miles ahead of the MLS when you noise out the exaggerated claims from the American media outlets like ESPN, and I’ll explain to you “soccer” fans why K-League is better than MLS:

UEFA or the Union of European Football Associations measures the rank of various European leagues by the results of the clubs of the associations in the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League called the ‘Country coefficients’: https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2019

By using this same metric, we can also measure the quality of MLS in their respective region’s Champions League or CONCACAF Champions League results. Liga MX won the most Champions League titles by far and MLS is sitting behind Trinidad and Tobago (No Surprise there losing to them in the World Cup qualifiers) based on their performances in the annual continental club football competition:
    upload_2019-2-22_16-57-26.png

Again, we use the same logic for the K-League and its ACL Champions League results. And look what we have here, K-League won the most Champions League titles in the AFC region:
    upload_2019-2-22_16-57-43.png

When all's said and done, MLS is no better than other CONCACAF nations when in reality the likes of Mexican, Costa Rican or even Trinidad and Tobago leagues are better than the MLS.

narasarang and Gaemamusa repped this.
  9. Kangin16

Kangin16 Red Card

Valencia
    Feb 13, 2019
    According to your autism, Saudi Arabian/Chinese/Qatar are better because they generate substantial profit in those leagues? K-League has players that actually QUALIFIED for the World Cup and won plenty of ACL titles compared to those garbage leagues. Where are you going with this pathetic analogy? :ROFLMAO:

10. Tagline

Tagline Member

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    Jun 22, 2006
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #60 Tagline, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Except the results you're referencing include statistics going all the way back to 1962 in the Champions' Cup era, and MLS as a league only started competing in the Champions' League in 2008... :rolleyes:

You know nothing.

11. Kangin16

Kangin16 Red Card

Valencia
    Feb 13, 2019
    #61 Kangin16, Feb 22, 2019
    I was looking at the overall stats and used the same metric as UEFA does for its European leagues. Even if you take into account the stats in the last 5 years of CONCACAF Champions League results, MLS have won nothing.

12. Tagline

Tagline Member

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    Jun 22, 2006
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You cited continental championships as the metric for league performance...except you also included all the years where MLS either didn't exist or didn't compete in the competition. Since they started competing in the tournament's current format, the final has only been between two Mexican teams or a Mexican team against an MLS team, and everyone knows MLS can't compete with Liga MX yet.

You're making yourself look stupid.

13. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Is this conversation seriously still going on? Like I asked before, who cares? Ask anybody outside Korea or the USA and they'd say both leagues suck.

As for using continental championships to draw a distinction, that's about as meaningful as FIFA rankings for national teams. I'm not going to argue which is better MLS or K-League, but I will argue that Liga MX is objectively superior to MLS and anything in AFC.

That said the most significant change to MLS came in 2017 when the league introduced targeted allocation money. That mechanism was intended to strengthen roster spots 4-9. From 2008-2016 in CONCACAF Champions League play, MLS teams played Liga MX teams 74 times and only won 12 times (16%). Since TAM was implemented, the leagues have played each other 13 times and MLS teams have won 7 times (54%). In short, talking about anything prior to 2017 with MLS is fairly pointless. The evolution of wonky rules means the league has changed significantly just in the past couple of years.

14. Kangin16

Kangin16 Red Card

Valencia
    Feb 13, 2019
    Again, take into account when MLS clubs did played in CONCACAF Champions League, or the last 5 years of the competition. They have won nothing. :rolleyes:

15. Tagline

Tagline Member

Vancouver Whitecaps FC
    Jun 22, 2006
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No one's denying that Liga MX is better than MLS. My point is that you can't use continental championships dating back to almost 60 years ago to measure MLS's performance. MLS teams are not losing to Trinidadian teams or to Suriname, don't try and move the goalposts.

Deleted Users and DynamoManiac repped this.
  16. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Put Liga MX into AFC and nobody outside of Liga MX is winning anything either. All that means is Liga MX is a top quality league.

Facts are the semis are typically all MLS and Liga MX (outside of the occasional Costa Rican side) and the final is only ever Liga MX vs MLS or Liga MX vs Liga MX. Liga MX is the best league in CONCACAF, MLS is second best but rapidly closing.

17. Kangin16

Kangin16 Red Card

Valencia
    Feb 13, 2019
    There's no way to determine that. This is just your baseless opinion once again. :rolleyes:

18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I say it as someone who watches K-League every week, attends 3-5 K-League matches every year. Watches A-League, CSL, J-League and Liga MX. It's more than opinion, you have to be blind or going out of your way to be obstinate to not see Liga MX is miles better.

When you're a regular viewer of all these leagues then you can have an informed opinion. If you're not, then you're biased and making up uniformed opinions.

I mean, do you need something more than your eyes to see that, for example, the EFL Championship is better than A-League?

Deleted Users, the rainmaker and Tagline repped this.
  19. Kangin16

Kangin16 Red Card

Valencia
    Feb 13, 2019
    Nope. One league actually produce homegrown talent for its national team and the other league is a bad reminiscent of the English Premier League. Guess which one is which?

20. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Ok, now I know you're just trolling.

Tagline repped this.
  21. Kangin16

Kangin16 Red Card

Valencia
    Feb 13, 2019
    I'm having trouble seeing the U.S. get past the likes of Panama and Suriname.

22. Kangin16

Kangin16 Red Card

Valencia
    Feb 13, 2019
    I'm using stats as a way to determine the quality of a league but MLS fans like DynamoManiac and Tagline wants to go with 'informed opinions'. :rolleyes:

23. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    My armchair analysis:

For various reasons, Korea as of now is not conducive for a competitive domestic football league to thrive. There just seems to be no good amount of demand for it. Money matters especially in today's football, and we aren't able to get enough of it to attract B+/A level Latin American players like the MLS is able to. I'm also not sure if Korean clubs can invest as much into youth academies as MLS franchises are able to.

I admit that I don't watch much of youth football. But it seems like Korean youth teams always do decent or better in tournaments. So I'm thinking that player development is one of the few things that keep Korean football afloat amidst the rise of regional rivals (Japanese and Chinese domestic footie).

So MLS seems to be the better league overall-- considering holistically aspects like marketing, supporter base, and commercial value. They can also attract higher-value players I bet. But this is obvious considering the fact that it's the domestic top flight of the world's largest and most robust economy (and probably the most attractive immigration destination). But if MLS teams play K-league teams, I don't think the former would be the winners as often as some of us might think.

K-league has done phenomenal considering the variables it has been facing. The teams managed to put together strong teams with limited resources. I think it's the accumulated know-hows (harder to replicate with $$) in coaching, scouting, and playing that really gives them the edge against continental rivals. I just hope it lasts longer.

24. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #74 takeuchi, Feb 22, 2019
    Liga MX would be the strongest league in Asia atm but I doubt J & K League clubs would go a decade or two without winning continental titles. Out of 10, if Liga MX are favorites to win about half.. I'm sure J & K League clubs can win the other half (perhaps with one or two wins from ME/Chinese clubs too).

On the argument MLS is growing quickly, this is definitely true. At the same time, it is expanding way too quickly. The league has too many clubs, with talent spread all around the league. Personal opinion after watching few games a yr (usually during the playoffs) but each MLS club have 2 to 3 quality players but after them, you see big gap of talent & quality after them.

edit - as for some ex-EU/WC stars, doubt they would be as influential in K or J League as they are in MLS atm. an example I can give is... well, bunch of old timers in J League (Vissel Kobe is utter shit even with 3 WC winning stars).

25. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    #75 12th Player, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    In some of the recent newbies, I sense an inverse relationship between the depth of their thinking and the loudness of their voice. They also bring the kind of attitude and inconsideration that don't promote an interesting and thoughtful dialogue/debate.