MLS Non-Sporting Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, Jan 19, 2011.

1. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kcscsupporter repped this.
  2. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy to see Wondo net 4 and take the MLS scoring record. He's been a soldier for the league.

4. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, has the enthusiasm balloon totally popped for Cincinnati FC? They woke up to the realization that it you don’t have Atlanta or LA money and a smart front office, your new franchise is going to struggle getting wins in the league.

mschofield repped this.
  5. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You don't need all those things, just one or the other. If you want to win the league, probably both but maybe not.

I think they're coming to the harsh realization that their FO is actually not very good.

mschofield repped this.
  6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They're relearning the lesson Minnesota learned. Having a club in place before joining MLS is an advantage as far as being an organization. You have some fans and have a system for staffing game days and a ticket sales office to build up, etc, but it really means next to nothing as far as putting together a team. There's this notion that you can add talent to a team that works together well enough and find some success, but the reality is no, that is not a real thing.

7. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I mean, it doesn't really work anywhere there is promotion and relegation either. A good year for a recently promoted side is not being relegated back down. Upper tier 2 sides can be comparable to lower tier 1, but there are always orders of magnitude better throughout any league. So Cinci can handle some of the weaker squads around the league, but on average and notably against the very best, they gonna get smashed.

Also, a team built on pacy counterattacks really falls short when a) your striker is a traffic cone and b) you're playing on a U10 regulation size field.

8. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    a traffic cone that gets DUIs that is :)

9. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    disappointing that one of these teams has to win mls cup. i guess i'm hoping for the odd natural disaster (that injures no one) that postpones the game indefinitely.

10. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah. I'm not seeing a world where Seattle doesn't win this. I'd rather it be Toronto tied with us for titles, but oh well/

11. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    so the only team that SKC won against twice this season ends up being MLS champions. Go figure

12. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Far as my brief wikipedia skills can tell me, we haven't lost a game to the eventual MLS champion in league play since 2011.

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct.

https://www.sportingkc.com/post/2019/10/31/starting-xi-happy-haunting

14. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fingers crossed. I have no love for that team, but a complete and singular stadium for them actually in NYC would be amazing for the league. Upgrading the worst stadium in the league automatically lifts our floor.

Anyone notice that this has been an insane offseason so far? Columbus just blew their transfer record out of the water, joining us, San Jose, and Vancouver in the same month. This is looking to be by far the most high-powered season the league has seen. There's that bit of concern over the CBA negotiations, as well as a bit of adjustment to the new schedule and format... but damn if this isn't ridiculously thrilling.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That would be great, but I think we've been down this road before, a lot. I do believe we have now reached the show-me phase of this game. Until they're actually building a stadium, they're gonna be a horrible to watch at home, much better on the road, side.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  17. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We've already seen the improvements brought about by the LAFC and Atlanta additions, the moves and counter moves by existing clubs. I think one downside to all this excitment is that it means we are going to need two more high quality signings to compete. We are going to be better in the attack, but the attacks coming at us are almost all going to be a step above where they were last season.

18. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I'm as yet optimistic that we can compete and that ownership are gonna really go for it. The level rising is way great. If Sporting were being Houston and trying to fight the current, I might be less excited.

19. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think we'd all be less excited if KC were Houston.
    Since 2011, we've been building a side that makes up for it's lack of top end attacking talent with very much top end defense. I do believe that Zusi until last year was about as good as it's ever been at right back in MLS, and that Besler is still at least close to MLS elite, and Martins is an above average MLS left back. But relying on this version of Zusi, as he declines and the attackers get faster and better, and man, we keep hearing Barath in the 11, disturbingly implying the thining is that Puncec is depth ... and Ilie with a top level defense behind him and Roger's engine at full throttle is wonderful, but if he's now exposed?
    I don't think that's a horrible defense for MLS. But it's not even top 10 any more. I am a huge fan of Felipe and Russell, and believe Gerso and Salloi will find the goal in 2020. Pulido (all hail Pulido, bringer of life and joy) is a major get. But together this is an attack that while tasty, is less tasty than LAFC or Seattle and maybe others, probably the Gals, but the Gals make this point for us. An elitish attack with a below elite (okay, total crap) defense means meh for the season.
    I mean, it sucks that we snaffled the wrong out of favor but formerly next thing in Zelalem, instead of Hyndman. I mean, in my mind they were the same guy.
    I share your belief, or at least I'm trying to. but I am a bit nervous.
    OTOH, last year at this time I was thrilled and couldn't wait for the games to start. I knew were gonna tear MLS up.

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that appears to be a pretty good hire for miami.

that got me to look at the mls:n&a forum, and i saw news about chicago. so they really did change their logo? i thought that was a joke... but they actually did it? hilarious. so bad. so bad.

mschofield repped this.
  22. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What I find odd about their new logo is that I keep thinking it's RSL. I really hope in a broad sense that the Chicago rebrand is a success. That side has been sucking for too long. I miss the days when i considered them to be rivals.
    That said, the KCW to SKC rebrand should be the model in MLS. What made it stand out, to me, was that every decision had a ton of thought behind it. The badge had meaning, explained in great detail. The new stadium had to offer wasn't just seats, it mattered because it offered a better experience, in a dozen ways. Etc.
    Chicago just seem to be doing stuff and calling it a rebrand.

23. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The running joke since it leaked was that it was the love child between RSL and Vancouver.

mschofield repped this.
  24. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the LAFC vs Leon game last night and it was super entertaining. I can’t give enough credit to LAFC for scoring 3 unanswered goals and moving on to the next stage of the CCL. I always love it when an MLS team beats a Liga MX side. Another big surprise of the evening was Latif Blessing. Bradley played the little guy in the midfield and he was one of the reasons that LAFC did so well. Blessing is a very different player now than when he was with SKC. He still has a great engine, but his movement, passing and understanding of the game has improved vastly. Bradley never subbed him out and he gave Leon fits all game long. It’s a shame SKC let him go so easily.

mschofield repped this.
  25. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    Watching the highlights, it looks like this was a complete destruction of a Liga MX side.. Leon didn't seem to have a single good goal chance.

Afaik Blessing played this role last year already. Back when he was playing winger for SKC I was always surprised by how good he was defensively despite his body deficits, but I would never have thought he could succeed in the role he's playing for LAFC now, so I guess Kudos to Bradley for finding the perfect position for him.