MLS Non-Sporting Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any time my team has a less than stellar result, I like to go read other teams' boards to remind myself how good we've got it with SKC. Philly, RSL, Colorado, and the Galaxy's boards are all full of pathos and angst right now.

2. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are the referees for the MLS getting better? Although the season is still young, it seems the officiating is getting better. I don't have any statistics to back that up, but from what I have observed, I find myself more satisfied with their decisions than any time in the past years. Now I fully realize that they still get some calls really wrong and can be inconsistent with their decisions. However, I have to give them credit for improving their ability to be less of a determining factor in the end result of games.

3. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    You have now jinxed us. We will now have some ridiculous call go against us in an upcoming match that completely changes the game. :rolleyes:

4. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Fun fact: Sporting Kansas City has yet to be involved in a game that sees a red card so far this season.

5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we gotten any PK calls for us yet? Seems like someone is going to have to decapitate Dom for him to get a PK call.

6. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Espinoza probably could have been booted for that foul against Vancouver and in previous years would have been. But, I think the ref took into consideration the terrible condition of the field where Roger obviously lost his footing while going in for the challenge. That shows some thought and restraint from the official.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Roger obviously losing his footing definitely saved him a red card.

8. drhoades00

drhoades00 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I just want to say that I called it. We've gotten Hilario'd again. Does this guy have it out for us?

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Way to go....

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So who here is surprised at how "well" the Onalfo run LA Galaxy are doing? I'll leave this post to the crickets....

Sachsen repped this.
  11. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, it's time. The MLS All Star game needs to go. The event is meaningless and I don't know many people who even care about it. its basically a joke with the NFL, MLB and NBA and isn't any better with the MLS. Players are already over-scheduled with league, USOC, and CCL. Time to dump the ASG. End of rant. o_O

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of people still care because it draws the best or second best tv ratings for the league every year (along with MLS Cup). That's why unfortunately it isn't going anywhere.

13. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah. As much as the die-hard fans hate it, it brings in a ton of casual interest. Say what you will about the ASG, but bringing in big name clubs and consistently putting some big names under one roof for a night has been a huge marketing success for this league.

That being said, I love any situation where our guys make the squad, don't play a second, still get a bonus for their effort, and we get to see the guys who make $6M/year put their bodies on the line.

mschofield and Formulaic repped this.
  14. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also say this every year when this topic comes up. Do yourself a favor and watch some of the social media that comes out of All Star week. Especially Instagram videos from the players, etc. Most of them seem to love the festivities and have great fun with it. I say let them have fun with it and don't stress. The only thing I really don't like about it is the potential for injury to our guys.

15. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VAR coming to all MLS games starting in August. While limited in scope, a step in the right direction if it doesn't delay the game too much.

16. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What calls/plays are in scope? Offside that results in denied goal? Goals that were offside can be rescinded? Violent conduct? ???

17. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Goals, PKs, red cards, mistaken identity.

18. BenDover

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of coaching moves.... Onalfo gets sacked (again) and Sigi takes over. That will make the Sounders/LAG games fun to watch. And it looks like Bob Bradley is going to coach LAFC.

19. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i understand this isn't mls related, but the catch-all thread is way down in bfe on this forum, so i'm posting it here.

is anyone else tired as all hell about espn and this barca/real preseason game. christ, if you didn't know your head from your ass, you'd think this game actually meant something. espn blowhards keep treating it like it's this special event. who gives a f*** about a preseason game?

20. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Four combs this weekend:

NYRB 4-0 Montreal
    Dallas 0-4 Vancouver
    Minnesota - 4-0 DC United
    Toronto 4-0 NYCFC

And New England 3-0 Philadelphia to boot. Literally a record setting blowout weekend.

22. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Dallas result is both unexpected and tasty.

IASocFan repped this.
  23. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    man, that all-star game last night was ... not great. who is grana? i think that's his name. he was playing right back for mls in the second half. how on earth did he get selected to the game? i mean, there were plenty of players that were only there because of their name (kaka, 2 saints, etc), but i've never heard of him and based on that performance, he certainly wasn't named because of skill. it was rather embarrassing.

24. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was looking at the Eastern Conference table and noticed that Atlanta had dropped to sixth and was surprised. Then I saw that they have only played 24 matches where others have played up to 28. Then looking forward at their schedule, I saw that they have EIGHT matches in 24 days between Sept 10 and Oct 3. Holy-moly.

Here is the schedule: Dallas > two days rest > New England > two days rest > Orlando > three days rest > LA > three days rest > Montreal > two days rest > Philadelphia > two days rest w/travel > @ New England > two days rest w/travel > Minnesota.

That is relentless.

25. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of their games are at home, which will at least help them some.