MLS Non-Sporting Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by NorthbankHighbury, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They weren't going to get a DP before the season by all reports. But MN and Atlanta got a ton of allocation money. But then Minnesota set a record for GAM/TAM traded when they acquired Molino from Orlando, overpaying for him.

2. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, they may have overpayed for Molino, but you'd be hard pressed to say that he isn't their best player...

3. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if they're really this bad, then my first thought, while licking my lips, is when do we get to play them? unfortunately, it's not until may 7. they may have stabilized the ship by then.

4. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    So, pardon the plug, but a few interesting things popped up in my Elo Rater this week: Minnesota's loss was the 19th worst loss of all time (out of 5030 total MLS matches played in regular season + playoffs), which means with just two games under their belt, my ratings already have them as the worst team in MLS. In addition, LA are at the lowest rating they've had in nearly five years.

http://wsasu.blogspot.com/2017/03/march-12-2017.html

Sachsen repped this.
  5. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Onalfo Effect™

ZooCougar and vividox repped this.
  6. BenDover

BenDover BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 4, 2010
    Rio Verde, AZ
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been watching the ATL vs CHI game and am very impressed by the level of play from Atlanta. Last two game they have scored 10 goals (yes I know 6 of them were in the snow vs MUFC). They made the Fire look like the expansion team. I don't know if I have ever seen a new team look this organized and polished this early in the season. The offense is very aggressive and they have players that can score at will. The Eastern conference standings are going to look a lot different with Atlanta in the mix.

ZooCougar and ryanhetu repped this.
  7. ryanhetu

ryanhetu Member

May 16, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely. Martinez is a beast and Almiron is also just insane. Makes me wish we would actually spend money in Kansas City. Paying fees for players like this has huge upside for sell on later. You can spend whatever you want on 3 players and we spend the least we can to make minor improvements.

ZooCougar repped this.
  8. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It's not just that they are spending money. They are spending it on young talent, not white elephants like Lampard. They also brought in some guys with experience in the league so they seem less like an expansion team.

We'll see if they can sustain this, but the potential for the Atlanta team on and off the field seems to be very high.

9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, Lampard was actually quite good for NYC when he was healthy and available.

But he wasn't healthy and available very often, which basically supports your point.

10. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prop 2 in St. Louis failed tonight 53-47, MLStoSTL seems on life support.

849467588224708608 is not a valid tweet id

11. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Gee, I'm so surprised that St. Louis - a city that drives past Edward Jones Dome every time they go up and down I-44 - didn't want to publicly fund another stadium.

12. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, I'm sitting here judging their ownership. Why don't you just pay for it yourselves? Buy then I remember we wouldn't have a stadium here without tons of public money...

13. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Rich people don't become rich and stay rich by spending their own money, they spend OPM.

14. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I guess STL isn't the PDX of the Midwest as Merritt Paulson said it was.

15. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He said that? That is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time. Literally no similarities between the two cities whatsoever. Anyway, StL will be about as likely to fund a stadium project as Miami. Seriously, learn to read a room, MLS.

16. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yes, on twitter.

17. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    849258145629196288 is not a valid tweet id

18. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta's new training facility is a thing of beauty. You think players around the world aren't going to hear about things like this and want to go there? They are setting themselves up to be absolutely dominant in this league. I mean they're already in 7th place in the Shield standings as a brand new expansion club. Arthur Blank coming in and doing it right.

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/20...allocation-money-increase-owners-meetings-tam

MLS owners meetings take place on Monday in Colorado, and one topic under discussion will be even more investment in players through Targeted Allocation Money.

A final decision on increased TAM can be expected at the end of the year. All TAM spending is beyond the amount agreed to by the owners in the 2015 collective bargaining agreement

20. ZooCougar

ZooCougar Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    That's encouraging to see. It seems like there are more good leagues now than ever before and the owners are recognizing that they need to be more competitive in successfully signing players just below DP caliber. This also probably raises the bar on what a DP caliber is.

21. kcfooty

kcfooty Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Look at the longitudinal outcomes in CCL for example. I think MLS loses matches in that competition year in and year out due to positions 4-9 on the roster where MLS clubs can only spend 20% to 40% as much per player as the winning Liga MX clubs.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I laugh/weep now about the CBA negotiations and how the players union went in willing to die on the free agency hill, so much so they took a hit elsewhere and are now seeing all this TAM being added while lots of salaries stay the same.

23. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I get it though. Players want a say in where they live / work / play, especially the ones with families. Free agency right now is a joke, but that foot in the door allows them to move that needle every CBA from now on. If I was a player in this league I'd have done the exact same thing.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thing is though the free agency they did get is incredibly limited, they didn't really gain that much.

25. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, but it's a foot in the door. It has gone from 'not a thing' to 'a thing'. Every single CBA from here on out is going to move those dials a little bit, make it less and less limited, and they'd never be able to make that progress had they not gone through the initial battle.