MLS News

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Aug 20, 2019.

1. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I would love to have Craig, with or without Mike. No way he comes here without guarantees there will be significant changes though. None of the former players are fond of ownership.

CeltTexan repped this.
  2. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Waibel didn't have the best record with RSL, but sure the hell has outperformed Jordan. Playoffs in three of the last five.

A lot of the more "vocal" fanbase would have a meltdown if Petke got hired though. Also wonder that he's even pursuing employment while this lawsuit is ongoing.

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hiring Petke and Waibel would be akin to hiring fascists and white nationalists to run the Dynamo. We need a transgender GM or something like that to be really good and woke

4. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the Dynamo fanbase is that woke - heck it was only a couple of years ago that they reveled in the Pluto chants, and the FY Dallas stuff.

But I'm not too sure that Waibel would want to take on a project that only invested $8.7 million in player salaries versus the $11.1 million RSL committed to (Latest MLSPU shows Dynamo moved up from bottom probably as a result of the Ramirez acquisition)

5. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Politely disagree!

Dynamo fans were enamored of Dom Kinnear’s potty mouth. Dom said much worse things and within earshot of young children.

FCK!!!!!! Bring back Waibel and Dom.

CeltTexan, ElNaranja and nbrooks503 repped this.
  6. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I mean, there's been objections to the presence of Tyler Deric in the team but it has been a fairly quiet minority. Petke might bring out a more vocal minority, but still suspect it would be a minority.

In this lawsuit, though, Petke quotes Waibel as describing RSL as the most difficult environment in the league to work in. If he thought that was difficult, try getting things done with no budget whatsoever and a dying fanbase.

7. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't think the overall Dynamo fanbase would care about hiring Petke, but I do think you'd see an outsized reaction on social media and maybe in person, e.g. the PacNW team supporters doing some protest about it. This is the type of issue that I think certain parts of the fandom will latch onto mercilessly.

I don't think Deric's incident, although much worse, got the same amount of publicity and a good bit of the online Dynamo fandom still seems to be laboring under the flawed notion that Deric's girlfriend made everything up and no charges were ever filed. Benefit of being on an extremely low-profile team in a low-profile league.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I've seen a lot of folk supportive over the idea of Piojo getting a job in MLS and lord knows he has issues.

*rey*, CeltTexan and DynamoManiac repped this.
  8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The very thing that I do actually worry about. Who can do the job of rebuild here when there are handcuffs to the rebuild. I mean, who wants to jump on that type of job grenade???
    Would be doing back flips if Waibel took a role with our Dynamo!

9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. The attitude of demonizing those who disagree with you is dangerous and destructive. Fascism is more than right wing ideology. I've never seen real fascist in the USA.

11. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something tells me his next job is in USL or something non-MLS affiliated. MLS is still single-entity. Garber will have him on the same list as Wynalda.

*rey* repped this.
  12. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well count me as one you think so little of. The DA's office has a policy against deferred Adjudication for domestic violence if they see guilt as at all likely. MLS lawyers were involved -- and would not agree to Tyler coming back without exoneration. MLS has complete authority to keep Deric away even without a guilty verdict. They don't want bad press from employing a demostic batterer.

Tyler faced the choice of deferred with relationship counseling or a long wait for trial in which he would not be allowed to train or play. He choose deferred to get back on the field. Full exoneration comes with successful completion of deferred. I know we live in a world where any accusation now means you did it. But the case against Deric was obviously weak. Again, the DA does not allow deferred if the case is strong. It was a way to require Deric into some relationship counseling which, imo, he obviously needed for continuing to see that girl again after her first accusation/recanting. The DA clearly had no desire to go to trial.

Now -- I'm not saying I know what actually happened. That sort of shit is complicated and who knows. Only she and he know what happened. But we KNOW that people who know the evidence (the DA and MLS) both consider the evidence weak.

I choose to not assume bad action on anyone here -- absent any decent evidence of bad action. Its funny, that whole innocent until proven guilty thing. It is actually supposed to mean something.

13. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I really don't know that I want to get into this, but my point was more to the fact that when this came up on the Dynamo subreddit there were a lot of poorly informed comments there:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dynamo/comments/cg1jas/discussion_time_deric_or_willis_be_as_unbiased_as/

Notably there were claims (including by you) that the woman recanted her allegations twice, that charges were dismissed, etc, which is false. He entered into deferred adjudication via plea bargain. As part of this he had to plead guilty to the charges, though yes, upon completion the case is dismissed.

There is not really any "full exoneration" as you word it in this process. Either you successfully meet the terms and the judge dismisses the case or you violate them and land in prison.

I wouldn't mind seeing sources on Ogg's deferred adjudication policy, although we could argue at length about the deferred adjudication policy that she has pursued in her time as DA that has drawn quite a bit of criticism from police and the public.

You're right in that no one other than them knows what happens, although to your "innocent until proven guilty" line, I feel compelled to say that as part of the deferred adjudication process Deric was required to enter a guilty plea.

End of the day, I'll stand by saying I find Deric's incident a whole lot more troublesome than Petke's latest juvenile

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #139 DonJuego, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Yeah ... I admitted I misspoke about the second one being a recanting.

We don't know why the DA decided to allow deferred. As I understand it, if Deric admitted to guilt he was not going to be allowed back to MLS. Perhaps there is a technicality there about "final" admission of guilt or something, but that is not how I understand it. I've not seen the plea agreement.

Yes ... dismissing of charges is full exoneration. Its that whole innocent until proven guilty thing. If you want to say that "innocent" does not equal exoneration -- only means "not found quilty." Well, that makes puts you and everyone else in the same status as Deric.

If your source of any information about the Deric case is that Reddit thread then you've got a bad source.

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Expansion cash like opioid addiction to MLS owners. Another year that Brener can be cheap and sit back and get more expansion cash with no new spending

18. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    should we be suggesting 7-9 team divisions (as the numbers progress) with the cynical hope that we would be placed centrally with squads with whom we would be more competitive than the west coasters?

we would want vertical swathes -- perhaps argue time zones -- as opposed to quadrants, which a la baseball would likely land us with the california teams we want to avoid. or if you argue quads put us in the east with florida and georgia.

since we're already at 24 i hope we've already been pimping this.

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    our attendance was <16k and the lowest in team history. of the 4 teams below us, chicago is moving stadia and columbus is doing the owner swap thing with austin fc, which is akin to an expansion team. you can expect the astros, texans, and rockets to remain competitive which only highlights the effort level of the dynamo. if they don't do something they risk free fall.

they have to hire a new coach. he will then want some new people. we have a ton of expiring contracts (including quioto) plus the expansion drafts. there will be some pressure to sell people, if not from fan apathy, but from the fact we're coach hunting and uncompetitive.

i foresee something like 2017, thought maybe in stages. some splashing. they will do something so as to try and entice a coach in, and snow some fans. whether they splash meaningful money is another question. you only see if you take the step backwards that our splashes don't match the league and so we just fall further back.

fans will be skeptical because we've barely been competitive at all for years. it will take sustained effort and results to get people back.

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the most difficult tasks I have experienced is convincing men with lots of money to spend their money on assets their business needs to stay competitive. Many just think they will "get by" with what they got. No reason to upgrade/spend.
    If one owns a professional sports team, spending must be a part of the path to staying competitive. If not even staying relative!
    We need to spend to proceed as both!!!

21. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #146 CeltTexan, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    I hear what you are suggesting. What I think we know from small divisions inside of a 30 or 32 team league works for the American sports league. Well, MLB drifted into this concept over the generations. MLB used to be one league that played against it's own and only saw the other league at the "Cup Final" a la World Series. Each league had a straight table a la pro soccer. The top team went to the World Series. By the late 70's with more teams added there was the split between East and West divisions. After the strike season of 1994 MLB HQ went to the three division alignment we have now as even more teams were added.
    And look at what having a absolute weak 4 team division has done to the Texans over these past 18 seasons. The other teams have been trash more often than not so it does not move the needle for the Texans to punch above their weight. The Texans FO are able to continue fielding a team looking like mediocrity as one can always win their own division to get into the playoffs. Win the division with a 8-8 or 7-9 record though. To then play a much superior team from a different division and get destroyed 36-0 on your own home field in the first round of the playoffs. This is why divisions are not good for pro association football. In an insular league with no regional competition to advance to with league play at the same time, the only concept is just being good enough to win the division. Placate the Texans fan base. With us, there are ambitions on many levels as there are several trophies up for grabs each season in pro soccer.
    I would suggest that scarcity breeds power. Since TV numbers are still low, the actual going to the games is what MLS HQ needs to continue to focus on. So if we have a 32 team league than make sure Houston and us in town get to play each team in the league. So that when big names from the Coastal clubs come to town, this is the one shot every other season that fans can see such a caliber of player.

DonJuego repped this.
  22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a link from MLSsoccer.com on Sac-Town coming in with St. Louis in 2022.
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...om-continues-unprecedented-rate-modern-sports

From the article:

Here's a timeline of the latest expansion clubs which have joined the league beginning in 2010:

• 2010 (16 teams): Philadelphia Union
    • 2011 (18 teams): Portland Timbers, Vancouver Whitecaps
    • 2012 (19 teams): Montreal Impact
    • 2015 (20 teams): NYCFC, Orlando City
    • 2017 (22 teams): Atlanta United, Minnesota United
    • 2018 (23 teams): LAFC
    • 2019 (24 teams): FC Cincinnati
    • 2020 (26 teams): Inter Miami CF, Nashville SC
    • 2021 (27 teams): Austin FC
    • 2022 (29 teams): St. Louis, Sacramento

23. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    I forsee more 2019 that gets progressively worse, with the occasional 2017

24. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    i think the circumstances will demand change. even a bad GM would get i can't send the literal same team back out there again. poor table finish, quioto, expansion drafts, free agent drafts, etc.

to change bigger pieces someone has to transfer out.

up to them whether it's effective change, which is a different situation. worth noting they were surprised by 2017. unless we spend like the elite, it's down to luck, and the recent odds on luck are low. 1 year in how many.