MLS News

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Aug 20, 2019.

1. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a great question. I here references to scouting departments at other clubs like POT, SEA and LAFC but I really have no information on what that is referring to. Could be one guy in a closet with a laptop and a subscription to FUBO tv. Or could be a half-dozen full-time guys scouring the globe.

2. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Knowing this team I think it's the guy with the laptop, minus the FUBO tv subscription. That $45 a month... too expensive for this club.

Dynamo_Forever, *rey* and DynamoManiac repped this.
  3. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'd love to see the details on the "scouts" in Europe and South America. I have a feeling Jordan exaggerated on that.

Wouldn't surprise me if the "relationships" he alludes to are agents that will generally send video of players to pretty much every team in an effort to find them a home.

Dynam0 and *rey* repped this.
  4. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    For $50, you can get the Football Manager database. Which, to be fair, a lot of teams in Europe use under agreement for scouting purposes.

5. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If you take Jordan at face value the "relationships" aren't (always anywaySs) the player's agents (although again Jordan's pretty vague on this).

6. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This stuff is so woke and silly - I want to slam MLS because in their statement they refused to take a stand and oppose cancer, infectious disease, and the failed policies of George Bush. MLS and Garber might as well have given a Dr. Mengele Award out!!!! Nazis!!!

8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My company sent me and some other staff to Seattle for IT training in April. Which was a wonderful time to be up there really. Yet I ran into some really passive aggressive Millennials out on the town one night. Real tough guys that one could only laugh at. Odd. But I was told by others from Seattle that their town is full of passive aggressive folks. A Seattle way of being I was told.
    However, standing up for what one thinks is right is as American as it gets. No problems with that. I just think we have much bigger fish to fry in our nation's culture. Certainly as an old inner city coach, gang warfare (literally a war! as I buried 3 students at Lee my last year there that had been shot dead months apart), jobs/job training for the next generation of workers in our land, teenage and military suicide and finding homes for our homeless veterans. Real tough issues to tackle. Flags at MLS home or road games. Meh.

From that article that stands out from a historical perspective:

Major League Soccer officials met Thursday with supporters’ groups from the Seattle Sounders, the Portland Timbers and the Independent Supporters Council to discuss a new league policy that bans fan displays deemed as political.

At the heart of the issue is display of the Iron Front symbol, first used by an anti-Nazi paramilitary group in the 1930s, of three arrows pointed down to the left.

MLS maintains that the symbol is political because it has been appropriated by antifa, loosely organized groups of antifascists that sometimes engage in violence. Supporters’ groups maintain the symbol represents opposition to fascism and persecution – a human rights issue, not a political stance.

9. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Didnt I read somewhere that Vicente Sanchez is their South American scout?

10. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I remember hearing that, but he lives in the US, so....
    If the Dynamo had full-time scouts they'd appear on the staff page of the website. None do, so make of that what you will.

11. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Maybe he works via video and flies out once he has ID someone?

To give the team the benefit of the doubt they dont deserve

CeltTexan repped this.
  12. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the answer that the organization gave SBI regarding scouting

Question:
    How many talent scouts do you have working for your club only (i.e., not shared with other MLS clubs), both domestically and internationally? How big is your budget this year for scouting domestically and internationally?

Answer:
    We have designated scouts in key markets that we’ve identified and a key contact in each market as a part of our worldwide scouting network. Within Houston, we work with nearly all local clubs to identify elite talents, and have worked hard with our new academy director to strengthen, rebuild and improve our local relationships.

Compared to:

LAFC
    Including the academy, we have seven scouts. The budget is approximately $250,000.

LAG
    Five talent scouts. Scouting budget is $500,000.

Portland
    In December 2018, the club invested in the promotion of Ned Grabavoy to technical director. He will oversee all the club’s scouting and recruitment. Under Grabavoy’s direction in the scouting department, the club currently has six individuals involved in scouting domestic and international players. The club is currently spending over $600,000 on its scouting staff and various scouting platforms.

Toronto
    Seven scouts worldwide. More than $600,000

Just about all the other teams had the same kind of canned response as the Dynamo though. Some that are affiliated with Euro teams (Montreal, NYFC) use those teams scouting networks.

Westside Cosmo and DynamoManiac repped this.
  13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of how teams in Europe bring in new players, here is a write up on Man U and what their club is going through to find new players as their own fans and supporters groan over the entire process. Good read as it ties into our situation with revenue in and out and how to get better players in.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/manches.../man-utd-tell-fans-success-comes-before-money

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then there is the follow up article to the situation at Man U where the revenue is bigger than both arch rivals Liverpool and Man City, but performance and standings in the points race season after season is lagging behind these two.

Another good read:
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/manches...t-club-form-as-long-as-money-keeps-rolling-in

What stood out to me from this article:

Cross town, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan has invested more than £1 billion at Manchester City in 11 years, so the shifting fortunes of both clubs is perhaps easy to understand.

While City have spent wisely, recruited smartly and upgraded the Etihad Stadium on a regular basis, United have gone the other way, with the lack of investment at Old Trafford being summed up by the leaking roof ahead of last season's derby game against City which saw a torrent of water gush down onto the seats in the Sir Bobby Charlton Stand.

Bad signings, an aging stadium and a lack of urgency when making key appointments are all issues that have defined the Glazer era, and most noticeably since Woodward replaced David Gill. But perhaps it's no real surprise. Supporters of the Glazers' NFL franchise, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, have witnessed a drift into obscurity since the team won the Super Bowl in 2003, and United now appear to be heading the same way.

The money is still coming in, as Tuesday's numbers will show. And as Woodward admitted, what happens on the pitch doesn't affect United's financial power off it. In the eyes of the Glazers, maybe the ongoing struggles of the team are only a minor issue to them.

16. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    https://www.espn.com/soccer/mls-all...ls-suspends-ban-on-iron-front-flag-for-season

MLS suspends ban on one political symbol.

With the Dynamo’s struggles on the field, FO incompetence and owner indifference and now the League giving up to certain fans pressure to allow political symbols at stadiums, I’m quickly losing interest in following this league.

I’ll switch my full attention to the other 2 teams I follow (Arsenal and Palmeiras) and since I can only watch on the TV I’m shielded from whatever pet causes those fans are trying to push. Heck, maybe I’ll even start watching LigaMX
    and make *Rey* happy.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  17. GreenRaver

GreenRaver Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    May 31, 2018
    Bothell, Cascadia
    Nat'l Team:
    Qatar
    https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2019/06/24/nonstop-scouting-delta-air-lines-episode-1-tokyo
    https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2019/07/15/nonstop-scouting-delta-air-lines-episode-2-seoul
    https://www.soundersfc.com/post/2019/08/05/nonstop-scouting-delta-air-lines-episode-3-iceland

Chris Henderson is just the head scout, the Sounders have a worldwide scouting network watching players.

DonJuego repped this.
  18. GreenRaver

GreenRaver Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    May 31, 2018
    Bothell, Cascadia
    Nat'l Team:
    Qatar
    [​IMG]

PIFFLE repped this.
  19. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    @GreenRaver

The name here is not Felicia, but hmmm OK, see ya! (I’m familiar with the phrase and I know you’re just trying to be funny.)

20. GreenRaver

GreenRaver Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    May 31, 2018
    Bothell, Cascadia
    Nat'l Team:
    Qatar
    That's how memes work. But seriously, maybe just focus on the play on the pitch and ignore the anti-racism, anti-gun violence signs if you're pro-racism and pro-gun violence....

Oh wait, asking you to focus on the play on the pitch might have been the wrong thing to do...

21. Dynam0

Dynam0 Member

Arsenal
    Feb 3, 2018
    Houston, Texas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    @GreenRaver

So, if I disagree with a political symbol from been shown then that means I’m a racist and pro-violence? How come?

22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle folks are passive aggressive as all get out.
    Thus they have a jab then step back. Like what you just went through.
    No worries with them. They are cute fans.

Dynam0 repped this.
  23. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are those woke people displaying a variety of anti this, anti that, pro this, pro that signs focusing on the play on the pitch, or are they just trying to call attention to their wokeness?

How about we just do away will all signs that do not represent the home team or its opponent and keep the personal opinions of the woke supporters out of our stadiums.

Or is that too much to ask

Dynam0 repped this.
  24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of these woke people aren’t exactly buying lucrative club seats - most don’t look like they shower regularly. Between vaping, protesting fascists, and collecting government assistance it doesn’t leave much time in the day for actual work

Dynam0 repped this.
  25. GreenRaver

GreenRaver Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    May 31, 2018
    Bothell, Cascadia
    Nat'l Team:
    Qatar
    #100 GreenRaver, Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Typical judgmental stuff about someone's appearance, from Texas, of all places. :shocked: You couldn't be further from the truth with regards to jobs, most of those people you see are either in the software industry, lawyers or creatives. You know... the "young urban professionals" who the Dynamo are trying so hard to attract they are mimicking our Alliance Council...

But hey, keep underestimating us like the league did based on appearane. Its funny AF.:D P.S. We had the support of the people in the luxury boxes. Cascadia is very anti-fascist.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blo...porters-mls-suspends-ban-on-iron-front-symbol