MLS needs to start caring about the USMNT again

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by adam tash, Jun 9, 2019.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How/Where in the current calendar of games would this new expanded format fit into? It's already difficult for MLS to cram 34 regular season games into the schedule window as is due to weather, CCL play, & US Open Cup games. Not to mention the MLSPA has a say in these matters as well. Yes, games are important for players, as is practice time, and rest between games.

This is already happening, and has been for the past 5 years. That said, running a USL 2 team is an expensive and money losing proposition for all MLS teams. Having to open your main stadium for USL games (read: Minor League) that don't draw nearly as well as the MLS team does, isn't helping.
    They never played in USL. Minnesota was a member of the NASL. Further, it's not like they have been "tearing up" MLS since moving up either.
    This I agree with. That said, trading for bench players is a difficult proposition. Teams need depth in order to navigate a season successfully (fixture congestion, injuries, international call ups, suspensions, etc.).

2. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I’d extend the MLS calendar...

MLK - preseason starts
    Valentines Day - first game
    May 31 - summer break
    June 15 - season resumes
    Last week in July/First week in August - break/international champions cup.
    October 31 - season ends
    Black Friday - MLS cup

Game midweek and weekend for most of the calendar. It’ll fit. And still gives a decent offseason and some scheduled time off in the summer.

3. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That schedule basically means the teams in the north have to spend the first two months on the road.

Is there really a demand for more games for MLS teams?

adam tash repped this.
  4. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    I think it’s highly amusing that many posters understand the difference between MLS and the USL but cannot understand the similar chasm between the big 4 and MLS/ B2/Championship. I thought Adams played in USL....

5. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s been talks that the offseason is too long. And, while weather is something to figure into the equation, I can’t see holding the league hostage because of it.

6. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m not for promotion/relegation within MLS but I am for the USL for this exact reason.

For instance, I think Dallas did it right by playing in League One whereas Atlanta 2 is struggling to stay alive in the Championship.

I’m glad to see the rapid expansion inside USL but I think some of those teams would benefit everyone by being in League One.

Hopefully though, USL continues to stabilize. And what we see is that all of USL with developmental academies with players having better access to quality coaching and play. This will push everything to the top.

7. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    They'd be better off extending the season into September and October than starting in Feb. Have the playoffs end at Halloween and begin Oct. 1st. That way teams get an extra full month of regular season games.

8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what they are doing.............the season ends the first weekend in October. The playoffs end prior to the November International Break.

9. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Case in point: Atlanta United’s Brandon Vasquez demonstrates he is ready for more playing time with the first team.

Had he not had this Open Cup opportunity, he would have been buried on the bench. Pretty much the same thing happened with Miles Robinson last year. He couldn’t get a sniff and now is one of the best defenders in the league.

We can yada, yada, yada away doing anything productive, but expanding the number of Open Cup games would directly benefit the USMNT.

adam tash and Suyuntuy repped this.
  10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    open cup isn't enough.

i thought your conclusion would be ...MLS needs to find a way to get the vazquez' palying time in MLS'...

what happens is that people dismiss players who aren't playing as not good enough...which is not always true.

how come we never hear about another MLS team scouting other MLS players...i think this is where the single-entity rears its ugly head....

If ATL is not gonna play robinson or vazquez...then why wouldnt they trade or loan them to a team that would?? that happens in other leagues and doesnt in MLS.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t disagree with you but about half the clubs in MLS don’t play their youth.

12. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It happens in other leagues because of the stark contrast between the teams at the top and those at the bottom. The bottom teams in those oter leagues are not a threat to the top teams dominance. Where as in MLS, from season to season every team has a chance. MLS as a whole is one of the most competitive leagues in the world. One season's wooden sppon winner can realistically make the playoffs and win MLS Cup the following year and vice versa.

DHC1 repped this.
  13. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a lot of things MLS can do to enhance the value of USL without spending a dime. For example....

1 - they should try to emphasize USL as a pathway to bigger and better things....
    make transfers out of USL easier ....try to build up a track record of USL being a springboard to success. If a bigger club is interested in a USL player don't give them away for free but at the same time MAKE IT EASY. I'm not quite sure how often bigger clubs inquire about USL players but I know it does happen some....I just wonder how amenable they are to faciliaitng moves for their players....MLS can be notoriously harsh on players who want to leave (though they do seem to be getting better in this sense)

2 - make USL to MLS easier and more common - get creative...maybe make an "off-budget" roster exception for MLS teams to sign 1 USL player per season...whatever the case....integrate the 2 leagues more.....show players that USL really can lead to success in MLS and beyond....right now it just seems that USL is an after-thought to MLS clubs when builiding rosters...which makes no sense if you want to build the sport in the USA. there are examples of successful american players who have played in USL but it is not like you really see or know anything about who's doing what in USL if you follow MLS...since MLS owns USL they should try to make it more visible to MLS/US soccer fans and make the pathways between the leagues more viable.

3 crazy idea - make a USL all-star team that plays matches against MLS teams.

4. player-centric policies/contracts instead of club-centric and league-centric ones....at the end of the day, the better that players do...the better the league and MLS will do....when a player like Andrew Gutman gets blackballed from minor league soccer in the USA b/c he dared to sign with Celtic instead of MLS...it sends a HORRIBLE message to all American soccer players - basically, bow down or suffer.....if they see their role as a league as advocates on behalf of players instead of overseers and controllers of players EVERYONE will benefit. MLS' stance towards american players is too adversarial, imo.

14. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    FC Dallas tonight :) 5 players starting are 20 years old or younger: Servania, Cerrillo, Ferreira, Reynolds, and 17 year old target forward Ricardo Pepi. Two more, Pomykal and Roberts, on the bench. By the way, this club also had U20 stud Chris Richards on the books before selling him to Bayern.

adam tash, Eleven Bravo and Suyuntuy repped this.
  15. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    FC Dallas are finally walking the walk this year when it comes to going all in on US youth internationals. Let's hope it continues.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We understand it just fine. Do you?

17. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

I think we're talking about a fairly small set of players; those who are too good for a USL team but not good enough to get minutes in MLS. Given all the costs associated with expanding the open cup, I'm not sure it's worth it.

18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, this is 100% false. USL is it's own entity. https://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/953145
    They already are. SKC, RSL, PHL, NYR............all tout their pro pathways: Academy-> USL -> MLS.
    He wasn't blackballed from minor league soccer in the USA. The issue was the future MLS team in Nashville taking a player on loan who's MLS rights were held by Chicago. Was it a dick move? In some respects yes. From a business standpoint, MLS has to protect it's teams and the terms of the CBA it has with the MLSPA.
    If you or any other fans have issues with the player policies/contracts...................you should direct your ire with the players themselves as they collectively bargain for those policies and contracts.........

superdave repped this.
  19. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, this is frustrating. These small set of players are those key players for the future of US soccer.

Atlanta United:
    Andrew Carleton
    Brandon Vasquez
    Chris Goslin
    George Bello, when he returns from injury

Orlando City:
    Benji Michel
    Danilo Acosta

DC United:
    Chris Durkin
    Griffin Yow
    Donovan Pines
    Antonio Bustamente

Philadelphia Union:
    Matt Freese
    Mark McKenzie
    Anthony Fontana
    Matthew Real

NYRB:
    Kyle Duncan
    Sean Nealis
    Omir Fernandez
    Ben Mines
    Ryan Meara
    Tom Barlow

NYCFC:
    Juan Torres
    Keaton Parks
    Joe Scally
    Justin Haak

Revs:
    Isaac Angking
    Justin Rennicks
    DeJuan Jones

Montreal:
    N/A

TFC:
    Griffin Dorsey
    Ayo Akinola

Crew:
    Luis Argudo
    JJ Williams (loaned out)
    Aboubacar Keita (loaned out)

Fire:
    Amado Moreno
    Brandt Bronico
    Jeremiah Gutjahr

FCC:
    Frankie Amaya
    Tommy McCabe

Minnesota:
    Hassani Dotson

SKC:
    Gianluca Busio
    Adrian Zendejas
    Tyler Freeman
    Gedion Zelalem
    Wan Kuzain
    Jaylin Lindsey

RSL:
    Luis Arriaga
    Tate Schmitt
    Sebastian Saucedo
    Aaron Herrera
    David Ochoa

Houston:
    N/A

FC Dallas:
    Jacori Hayes
    Edwin Cerrillo
    Bryan Reynolds
    Thomas Roberts
    Jesus Ferreira
    John Nelson
    Brandon Servania
    Ricardo Pepi

Rapids:
    Sam Vines
    Jonathan Lewis
    Clint Irwin
    Matt Hundley (Loan)
    Niki Jackson (Loan)

Whitecaps:
    Zac MacMath

Seattle:
    Trey Muse
    Jonathan Campbell
    Danny Leyva
    Alfonso Ocampo-Cavez

Timbers:
    Jeremy Ebobisse
    Eryk Williamson
    Marco Farfan
    Kendall McIntosh

San Jose:
    Siad Haji
    Jackson Yuiell
    Eric Calvillo
    JT Marcinkowski
    Jacob Akanyirige
    Gilbert Fuentes
    Cade Cowell

LAFC:
    Alejandro Guido
    Josh Perez
    Tristan Blackmon
    Phillip Ejimadu (loan)
    Lamar Batista (loan)

Galaxy:
    Tomas Hilliard-Arce
    Matt Lampson
    Justin Vom Steeg
    Ethan Zubak
    Julian Araujo

...these are all young (or at least still have potential) US players who would benefit from expanding the Open Cup. Sure, not all would take their game to the next level, but there will be a portion who do. They just need a shot.

adam tash repped this.
  20. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nothing small about that list at all....pretty sure that pool would qualify out of concacaf (if not this cycle then next, for sure)

plus there's also older players who need more of a shot too and havent really had it, either......

21. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Watching Brazil-Venezuela last night, Brazil started 11 Euro based players and Venezuela 9. Not a completely fair comparison, but virtually all of those players were domestic league products before being sold on to European clubs.

22. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    South American leagues have very small amount of foreigners on their teams. It usually all domestic.

23. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Again, I know the Galaxy players best. The Galaxy II play every week so there is plenty of opportunity for them to get games. Adding more open cup games would either end up displacing USL games or require putting in midweek games which have their own problems.

And if you think this list is the future of the US national team, you're going to be even be more depressed than you are now.

Hilliard-Arce, Vom Steeg and Zubak haven't looked so good in the USL that I want to see them at the MLS level, much less a level above that. Lampson is a place holder, someone to keep the bench warm while the younger keepers develop. He isn't a threat to David Bingham, and Bingham is not an elite keep in MLS. Araujo is the exception but he also would have been starting if he hadn't gone to the U-20s.

24. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the whole list isn’t indicative of the future of US soccer. Give me more credit than that...

But, for a lot of these guys they can demonstrate they’re ready to take it to the next level from USL and make a case they’re ready for the big time in MLS. If they don’t get a shot then they don’t have a chance to build their market value. Which, part of the problem is that there is very little in the way for these guys to build that market value. For instance, Brandon Vasquez is tearing it up in the Open Cup. If there was not that opportunity, he would continue to be some nobody on the bench for Atlanta. And, maybe or maybe not, Vasquez ever becomes a legitimate pro/international player, but he is a legitimate prospect who needs a chance. He’s not the only one.

akattack repped this.
  25. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Since Ramirez joined MLS in 2017 he has been one the top american goalscorers...

Altidore - 27 goals
    Zardes - 27 goals
    Ramirez 26 goals