MLS Needs To Drop USOC

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by Turk from Pigs Eye, Sep 28, 2005.

1. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF might be failing at it, but it's not MLS's job to bail them out. Leadership change at USSF is what needs to happen.

Of course, not that you said it, but MLS most definitely should not drop the USOC.

2. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    you know exactly what i meant smartass typing errors are not privileged solely to Oriental lads u know

but what bugs me even more that the stupid Garber is more concerned on the SL thing than the CCL

Stan,the USOC is not the eqvivalent of the FA cup as things stand but rather the NC of the USA but 8 or ten yrs from now when you'll probably have 4 teams from Canada playing MLS soccer you'll be triggered to change the Qualification procedure

3. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only know what you wrote little buddy. I don't yet have my powers to read others minds.

Proof or link please. And we know that SL is a MLS-Mexico thing; CCL is a CONCACAF thing. So, we know that Garber was actually probably involved in setting up the SL, but give us proof that he's more concerned about it? Or do you mean that he prioritizes it? So, link please.

Are you sure you didn't just have someone that doesn't know anything about MLS tell you stuff and now you are spewing it all over BigSoccer? Don't feel bad, there are others on here that are the same. You should go find them and make out, then you all will feel a lot better...

Qualification for the CCL? You do realize(maybe you don't, I'd not be surprised), that MLS is USA league right? And you do realize the CCL, just like all other "Continental" tournaments, base qualification on the country, not the league. Canada, no matter how many teams they have in MLS, will not be qualifying from the MLS, they will only be able to qualify from whatever Canada fed decides to use. Sheesh.

4. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    i haven't got the strength nor the will explaining the obvious about the USOC for what it is what i'm agreeing on though MLS is a very mysterious league indeed there are indeed a weeful of dudes that don't know crap about what it takes to be a supporter or an expert and MLS is not a "USA League" is an NA league just like the old NASL was and as for teams from Canada if there will be 4 or 5 and they'll all qualify for MLS plaoffs it'll be ridicilious putting the 5-8 US-Based teams qualify to the CCL

Garber kept pumping the SL(it is only our guess what would have happened if there was other Commissioner in charge)and without him it wouldn't have happen so he won't give it up in favor of the CCL so if we wish to ever see a US based team playing FIFA's world club champions we shouldn't paying so much attention to the SL in the expense of the CCL

5. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Just making sure you didn't put words in my mouth. Because I do know MLS shouldn't have the job to bail out US Soccer when it comes to the USOC. US Soccer has to make sure the US Open Cup is their problem to fix, which they won't.

6. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. It is a US league that allows Canadian teams to participate. Canada teams will not ever be qualifying for the CCL via MLS. Maybe you need to drill a hole in your head to get that.

As for you SL vs CCL stuff. SL has nothing at all to do with the CCL. CCL is not suffering because of the SL. They are two separate events. Refer to drilling comment above. SL has nothing whatsoever to do with US based MLS teams qualifying for the World Club Cup.

7. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    i didn't suggset they should. as i've mentioned b4 i'm all for US teams play in the US and Canucks in Canada

of course not. the SL is just another friendly tournie nothing more nothing less but it seems the SL will get more exposure than the CCL because of the ca$h involved

8. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CCL hasn't even been played yet.

9. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    that's why it bugs me

perhaps i'll be chilled up in a couple of years hopefully

10. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or, maybe, just maybe, SuperLiga will get more exposure because it is more interesting to fans. I mean, that may not end up being the case -- we'll see how the CCL plays out -- but frankly, I think games between MLS and Mexican teams (or between teams from those leagues) tend to be more widely watched/followed in the US than games between MLS teams and smaller Central American or Caribbean teams. And a lot of the CCL games will be of the elss interesting variety.

11. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    and that's because most of the viewers are Mexican decents not surprise here

the question is if you want to promote Mexican clubs and pumping a minnow rivalry south of the border or US soccer international success

i do intend to watch the SL as much as i could but making a big fuss over a friendly tournie is not my cup of tea especially not of the expense of a continental Championship(it's similar to the idea the top 4 Argy teams will meat the top 4 teams from Brazil for a SL title i just wonder why they haven't thought it out yet :rolleyes:)

12. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not Hispanic and certainly not of Mexican decent. I barely speak Spanish. And I watched as much of SuperLiga as I could. They were great games, very inspiring and very fun. Simply put, they were more interesting that playing some team from Jamaica, even fi it is in a "continental championship".

I'm not saying I don't value the CCL as a whole over SuperLiga -- I do, and would rather see my team win the CCL -- but each individual game in SL packed more punch than many of the CCL matchups will.

I'd watch. That sounds pretty cool.

13. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    again,it's like suggesting Chelsea playing Man U is more interesting than playing Levsky Sofia or Barnsley in the FA cup but Hey,you have also to play a weak teams on paper and that's one of soccer's merits over traditional American sports that major upsets are part of the game and the most exciting one

it is indeed interesting to see how MLS teams are doing against their traditional rivals in the SL but i'd rather see my team doing well in the USOC and especially now in the CCL the privilege of witnessing a US based team play FIFA's World club championship soccer in Japan is far the more inspiring than just beating an MFL club in the SL final and it'll also be thrilling to watch TFC and NER play some CCL Group stage soccer each represent a different country but play MLS soccer EC week in and week out Conmebol or ECL style

14. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has this thread reached the size limit to close it?

15. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    dunno,how long was the longest BS thread ever?

16. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no expert on this message board...but I highly doubt we are making history here.

17. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, I just can't get worked up over the SuperLiga because nothing much is at stake aside from the cash prize for the players. I think that the better course, in the future, would be to keep the SuperLiga on as a second tier tournament for the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth place teams in MLS and the Mexican league. It annoys me to no end that D.C. United once again has been stuck having to play in a meaningless tournament.

18. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    we'll just have to wait to see how buzz the CCL will get perhaps there's a possibility both tournies will prevail

btw,as i see it the USL D1 champs also deserves a CCL berth if they're American of course as they are officially the USSF top division

Sideshow Bob,there's a reason why there are not any tournies SL style in Europe and SA and they are called Champions League and Copa Libertadores and hopefully the CCL will also prevail

P/S- noticed Puerto Rico Islanders will represent PR despite they play USL soccer and Bermuda(Hogges?) also gets a berth. just wonder if PRI had to qualify through a domestic competition or through the fact they are the only Pro team in PR

19. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right...in a related story, West Brom have qualified for the UEFA Champions League after winning the First Division ("Championship") title.

A quick visit to the Puerto Rico Islanders website (or the USL website) will tell you that Puerto Rico qualified for the CCL through an early qualifying process - http://usl1.uslsoccer.com/home/251740.html - and Bermuda (yes, the Hogges) are not in the tournament. In fact, I don't even think Bermuda was given a chance to qualify.

20. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about? USSF's top division is MLS. MLS is recognized by both them and FIFA.

Puerto Rico qualified through the Caribbean club championship: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFU_Club_Championship_2007

They're the only team from Puerto Rico that's ever played in that tournament, or ever tried to play. PR just started it's first unified league this year, maybe in the future there will be a playoff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico_Soccer_League

And I don't know what you're reading about Bermuda, but they don't have a spot in the CCL. They didn't even attempt to play in the CFU tournament, no club from Bermuda did. Also, that was their first year in existence. I doubt they'll try to play in the 2008 version, they don't have much of a budget. Bermuda does have a "professional" league (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless_Premier_Division), but since their federation doesn't try to enter a team into the CFU a conflict has never arisen. The last time a club side from Bermuda participated in nonleague international competition was nearly two decades ago.

You really know nothing about soccer in this confederation, do you?

21. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    WBA alongside Stoke City&Hull City have been promoted to the EPL and that's their reward for finishing top. what do the USL Champs acheive?

yes,but they didn't have to beat another PR team to qualify rather through the Caribbean zone where Bermuda should play their CCL qualifing fixtures if they are eligible(and why not?)

if PR starting their own league why the PRI won't play in it?

as for Bermuda it's not an excuse not to participate Continentally as they have a NT and almost past through T&T in the WCQ HELL even Andorra plays Euro Club competition and even beat MTA last year

and the most bothering of them all is the fact Mexican teams play both Copa Libertadores and CCL they should decide where they belong and personally i rather see them move their loaded asses to SA

22. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean tournaments like the Royal League (played between Norway, Sweden and Denmark) and the Baltic League (played between Latvia, Lithuania, and Estonia)? Those are the exact same type of competitions as SuperLiga despite the presence of the UEFA Champions Leauge and UEFA Cup. Also, the A3 Champions Cup (China, S. Korea, Japan) and Gulf Club Champions Cup (teams from the Persion Gulf area) are also similar tournaments which exist despite the AFC Champions League.

23. Y&B POWER

Y&B POWER New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Ramat-Hasharo Israel
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    i don't follow the Royal League nor the baltic/A3 as there's plenty enough real euro soccer as it is

i guess they were bored and decided play each other more occassionally