MLS & NBC Sports have agreed on a 3-year deal

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by CenterForward, Aug 10, 2011.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this week's coverage is anything to go by NBC hates everything that isn't gymnastics and swimming. And even then they only like some of that stuff.

SYoshonis and lurak repped this.
  2. IndyMac

IndyMac Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Evansville, Indiana
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They show those because those are what Team USA wins medals in and what people like to watch. I don't think Americans care to watch a China vs China ping pong final.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but the point is this year they aren't even showing those sports well. Much less all the other sports the Americans have medaled in.

4. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, they show those finals on tape delay, so NBC hates everything.

SYoshonis repped this.
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listening to NPR People in China are stuck watching air pistol shooting and such because that is where China wins gold. lol!

Maybe the better TV coverage is countries with out much medal hope, they can show more sports that way. Maybe move to Canada? lol!

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    In Korea in 2002 (where I attended 21 games), I kept running into a guy from Scotland. He had Cat 1 tickets to any game he wanted from the Scottish FA allocation as Scotland didn't qualify for Korea/Japan.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friends of a friend here in Denver got tickets from the Argentine FA for the 2010 WC because apparently not enough people from Argentina could afford to travel to South Africa.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely.

9. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also don't forget Christian "Kneepads" Miles:p

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No.

SYoshonis and DonJuego repped this.
  11. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was his name?.. Steve Nicole...;)

12. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I understand thats the way a lot of people can get tickets for WCs. Just because your nations allotment may be used up doesn't mean others don't have tickets for sale.

13. soccerfreak9210

Mar 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shopping Cart Man repped this.
  14. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) I was just about to post about this.

2) SC has shown some MLS highlights, but only Timbers-Union (ESPN's season opener) and some Beckham highlights.

However, ESPNews shows them on highlight express almost regularly (I found this out on accident :laugh:). Lower tier anchors, but there's so much less fluff & they're covering the league, so it's becoming a mainstay for me now.

3) While I'm here I'll note that NBC Sports' Twitter background (their main page, not NBCSN) currently features Beckham kissing the cup. If that doesn't make you feel welcome, nothing can.

15. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am reading this third and people are talking about the converge of the Olympics some of the football has had adds and others have been add free. NBC has been showing the ping pong on NBCSN and MSNBC along with other sports now they are showing a lot of the swimming and I have been watching it all is because a lot of people want to watch Michael Phelps.

16. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Other than the hyperbolic headline - *cough*stadiums!*cough* - was there any actual analysis there? Still nice to see that the league is getting more relevant beyond the die hard base.

I love watching the NBCSN broadcasts when they get picked up up here: when it's a good game in front of a good crowd the whole thing feels "big league". I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that, to a casual sports fan, it's probably more entertaining to watch an NBCSN MLS game (in HD) than a random Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga, or Brazilian league game even though those leagues feature a much higher standard of play. Non-soccer obsessed North Americans already understand the geographic rivalries that help create a narrative and, as they learn more about the players and teams, will have an easier time having an empathic emotional connection to the result. That's what NBCSN is doing so well (that helps sell sport to spectators): turning the game into a story - with heroes, villains, and personalities - and fitting that into a larger narrative of the season. Marry that with solid production values and you've got a good TV product. People will watch anything if it looks good and tells a story... why not soccer?

18. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was basically a NY Times hat tip. But SB Nation Soccer gives ample face time to us, so it's worth a pass.

19. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed "MLS 36" yesterday , did it air yesterday?..If it did how was it.

20. Fanatical Monk

Fanatical Monk Member+

Jun 14, 2011
    Fantasyland
    No, when the monkeys are done with with the apple, it's only seeds left.

21. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am watching USA vs Canadan on NBCSN and at half time every sport commercial that they showed they were promoting MLS in some shape and form which is amazing. Great partnership.

22. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was ok they flood Wando around for 36 hr during AS week next week they show Montero looks like before he plays Chelsea I hope they do some wear players are going on the road for an MLS game. But still this is a match made in haven for MLS when was the last time we sew this kind of stuff for MLS I don’t think ever.

23. Rulas

Rulas BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It was good, but honestly I think they need some more interesting personas for the show. None really come to mind. Maybe Marquez since people hate him or Mattocks to get the rookie perspective.

Wondo was a bit too soft spoken for this type of show, but he does seem like a nice guy.

24. defendyourself

Jul 13, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holding my Red Bull bias aside, someone like Dax McCarty or Heath Pearce would be perfect. Come off like characters to me. If Jimmy Conrad was still playing he would be perfect for this.

25. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NBC missed out on a great chance to showcase soccer in the mothership channel. This is easley the biggest tv ratings of Olympics for NBC thus far.