Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    #1 Dan Loney, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017

MLS - Mural Relativism

By Dan Loney on May 24, 2017 at 4:35 PM
    Soccer is all about balance. Wait, no it isn’t. Germany 7 Brazil 1, Australia 31 Solomon Islands 0, Nobby Stiles has more World Cup wins than George Best, George Weah, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo put together – soccer is literally about anything but balance. Don’t you hate it when writers make these grand, overarching pronouncements that don’t stand up to the slightest scrutiny?

MLS is all about regression to the mean. I had a perfectly good “Why Curt Onalfo Got Fired” post idling at the gate, until the passengers overpowered the crew and forced their way to freedom.

I also had an acceptable “How San Diego Missed This Round of MLS Expansion” warming up in the hangar, but then the mayor of San Diego came out to undo the damage that San Diego State did.

This is pretty fascinating on a political level – the mayor of San Diego is choosing a soccer investment group over San Diego State University. The former could evaporate at the whim of 22 ownership groups outside San Diego, and the latter obviously isn’t going anywhere. Paul Kennedy of Soccer America tells us it may hinge on when the Soccer City plan can make it onto the ballot.

It would be highly amusing if Mayor Faulconer and FS investments bulldoze through all the political capital in California to get San Diego AFC going, only to have Don Garber announce Sacramento and Tampa Bay. I think MLS is wiser to pick expansion sites without significant opposition, and San Diego State is still significant opposition, mayor or no mayor. But MLS has been making goo-goo eyes at San Diego since before Don Garber was the commissioner, and me putting San Diego fifth or sixth on my MLS Expansion Power Rankings ain’t gonna cut no ice anyhow.

Anyone interested in my MLS Expansion Power Rankings? No? Gosh, that’s a shame.

1. Sacramento
    2. Tampa Bay
    3. San Antonio
    4. Cincinnati
    5. San Diego
    6. Phoenix
    7. Nashville
    8. Detroit
    9. Indianapolis
    10. Charlotte
    11. Raleigh
    12. Las Vegas
    13. St. Louis
    14. Ottawa
    15. Cleveland
    16. Buffalo
    17. Birmingham
    18. Austin

5,027. Willoughby
    5,028. Ankh-Morpork
    5,029. Atlantis
    5,030. Bedrock
    5,031. Mega-City One
    5,032. Brigadoon
    5,033. Kashyyk
    5,034. Hell
    5,035. Miami

I'm not actually saying that Miami is worse than Hell. Never even been there. Hell, that is.

No, basically it turns out the stadium plan the Miami MLS group has put forward that got everybody all excited? Literally no parking. Since last time I checked Miami didn't have any Sim City-style arcologies, I think that's as good as saying the plan is at death's door, knocking loudly.

But that just leaves more MLS expansion fever for everyone else. How excited are people about expansion teams these days? This excited!

There was a beautiful mural painted in Pico-Union in Los Angeles. Or, rather, WAS. Mike Gray at LAG Confidential is all over this story here and here.

Now, we here at BigSoccer can not endorse the cool crime of vandalism. But there's a definite upside to this. You see, I wouldn’t have known they had painted it in the first place, if it hadn’t been improved – sorry, defaced.

No, not sorry – improved.

But Mike’s article makes me wonder. What if both teams are in on it?

Next year the rivalry begins for real – and what better way to augment marketing than cheap publicity? I believe both teams are perfectly capable of using dueling misdemeanors to advance their mutual interests.

Lakers and Clippers fans don’t vandalize each other’s advertising. Same with the Angels and the Dodgers. I can’t imagine Rams and Chargers fans going to the effort to care about the other blue and gold team. And speaking of which, I never even saw USC and UCLA billboards defaced by the other’s partisans, despite ample opportunity, motivation and youthful spirits. So why is the zero-year-old rivalry now ground zero for a remake of …. What was that movie where different gangs in Los Angeles waged a mutually destructive war based on race and class? Oh, that’s right. “Who Framed Roger Rabbit.”

We’ll see how far Phil Anschutz and Mia Hamm plan to take their beef. Let’s hope they don’t go TOO far. As we saw in the first season of Better Call Saul, one way to draw attention to a billboard is to dangle a body from it.

?

You're going to mess up that other team's mural. Do you leave their actual logo untouched?

1. Yes, because that makes the joke

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. FALSE FLAG FALSE FLAG FALSE FLAG FALSE FLAG

17 vote(s)
    70.8%

Comments

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Dan Loney, May 24, 2017.

1. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
      Apr 20, 2001
      Northwest Orange County
      Club:
      Los Angeles Galaxy
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

MLS - Mural Relativism

USC and UCLA may not vandalize each other's billboards but when the big game comes up each year, they have protection around the Trojan statue and bear statue on their respective campus.

2. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
      France.

MLS - Mural Relativism

O Albany!

3. joebarnin

joebarnin Member

May 3, 2003
      Santa Cruz, CA

MLS - Mural Relativism

I appreciate the Twilight Zone reference.

Len repped this.
    4. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
      Akron, OH
      Club:
      Cleveland C. S.
      Nat'l Team:
      United States

MLS - Mural Relativism

Hey, Willoughby has a perfectly serviceable class A ballpark right next door in Eastlake!

Dan Loney repped this.
    5. Atomic Fury

Atomic Fury BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 30, 2007
      Pennsylvania
      Club:
      Manchester United FC
      Nat'l Team:
      United States
      #6 Atomic Fury, Jun 5, 2017
      Last edited: Jun 5, 2017

MLS - Mural Relativism

Kashyyk might be able to provide the floating air conditioners if they get to host a World Cup.

But I always had a soft-spot for St. Louis. I don't know why exactly as I've never been there, I lived most of my life outside Philly, nor have I ever met anyone from the place. But somewhere in my memory is vague recollection about St. Louis having a long soccer history. I know of the Stars, even the indoor Steamers, but the many incarnations of the ASL must have had teams representing the city if that factoid about the long history isn't a leftover remnant resulting from my days when truckloads of beer flushed through my neural pathways.