MLS Miami - Marcelo Claure interview, he wants in!

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by chichi, May 27, 2011.

1. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's just because Miami in many ways is like Los Angeles, both cities are big time car cultures and thinking in terms of mass transit is a secondary thing or a after thought. So with that said, the first thing most folks in South Florida would think of is traffic congestion as the reporter mentioned her concerns in the opening of her interview. But it's always good to put out information the public is lacking, so your post was a good post because it is informative.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I am looking at a map of PortMiami. It looks like to me, as a outsider, that the brigde on Port Blvd, has 6 lanes. Since the only other traffic is trucks (which should be alleviated by the tunnel's direct route to the interstate) and cruise goers (which are planned ahead of time) that with a little coordination, traffic to and from the MLS stadium on the island wouldn't be that bad. Its not like there are games everyday, or on most week nights. We are talking 1 or 2 a week, most likely on Saturday evening.

Am I up in the night, is this undoable? The Commissioners certainly sounded pretty negative on PortMiami.

3. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The vote by the Commissioners were unanimous, although one member spoke out asking why PortMiami, because she did not see the relationship of a soccer stadium at the port with cruise ships and cargo freighters from the Panama canal. She felt there are other viable locations in the Miami downtown core more suitable than a port location. But it was only a question that she was searching for a more logical answer as to why, she wanted to be sold on the Port from their prospective because she didn't understand why the group wanted to put a stadium there as opposed to somewhere else in the city core.

4. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. nbace

nbace Member

Jacksonville Armada FC
    United States
    Apr 8, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First off Lucho...I am on board with a downtown Miami stadium. Don't confuse me with the Miami Haters. I used to take Metrorail to Heat games at the old arena when i was growing up in Kendall...and know how easy it is. I also said at 22,000 seats, the Port site works. But it's also crazy to not consider that post-Heat game traffic is already a mess at a 20,000 sellout....and Dodge Island will only have two ways in and out once the tunnel is built. Double that and you are asking for trouble unless A LOT of people use transit. If a 22,000 seat stadium is the final answer....I think Port Miami is fantastic. But if they are thinking future....I'm not so sure.

PS---While Metrorail is pretty efficient...for a stadium at Port Miami....you are dealing with Metromover...which, while awesome...can only move so many people at a time since those cars are pretty small. IF they ever build the Tri-Rail coastal service and it becomes popular....then that takes care of SOME of the problem.

6. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

Inter Miami CF, Junior de Barranquilla
    United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tri-rail system exist and it's been running for about a year or two to the Miami Central Station, Yea I get you don't get me wrong, it's just a lot of people get on it so quick without giving it a chance.

No you're correct it most likely be a pain in the ass if both teams are playing in D-Town at the same time, I'm sure there can be arrangements of scheduling if its ever that bad by one team or the other. I mean MLS used to do that for NFL when they were at NFL venues, why not for traffic issues, and I'm sure there will studies on traffic before they go through with the stadium And see how they can alleviate it or avoid it.

Like I said everything has its resolution, just has to be thought up, that's all. Planning will have to be done for this project.

Hey the metromover worked fine when the Heat had their three championship parades, and the last was the biggest, almost 400,000!! So we should be ok.

7. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    traffic jams are quite normal after any event in Miami. Thats a given. Taking public transportation was always an available alternative as well. ive been to heat games and always see Metrorail and the free Omni Loop trains filled with heat fans.

However that experience will be different if the stadium is built on the Port. fan/pedestrian access is crucial and leaving it only to cars will have a negative impact. so i share nbaces concerns. Besides, Miami in the last few years have implemented new zoning codes on how to construct and design future projects (Miami 21), Which includes mixed use for pedestrians, public transport, bicycles and cars. Port Miami is very closed off and currently the only access to Dodge island i know of is a 6 lane bridge by car.

8. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tri-rail system exist and it's been running for about a year or two to the Miami Central Station, Yea I get you don't get me wrong, it's just a lot of people get on it so quick without giving it a chance.

No you're correct it most likely be a pain in the ass if both teams are playing in D-Town at the same time, I'm sure there can be arrangements of scheduling if its ever that bad by one team or the other. I mean MLS used to do that for NFL when they were at NFL venues, why not for traffic issues, and I'm sure there will studies on traffic before they go through with the stadium And see how they can alleviate it or avoid it.

Like I said everything has its resolution, just has to be thought up, that's all. Planning will have to be done for this project.

Hey the metromover worked fine when the Heat had their three championship parades, and the last was the biggest, almost

9. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well like I said water taxi's will be a great addition to the downtown area and unique to the MLS, like I said new ideas, outside the box.

10. MLS1FAN

MLS1FAN Member+

May 11, 2004
    Miami Beach,FL
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there is already a water taxi service at the shops at Bayside, it could possibly be expanded and serve to transport pedestrian traffic to and from Dodge Island. It's also even possible that the owners of the team and stadium may provide their own water taxi service as well.

Lucho305 repped this.
  11. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hope theyre considering this.

12. nbace

nbace Member

Jacksonville Armada FC
    United States
    Apr 8, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Tri-rail service I'm talking about is the new "Coaster" service...scheduled to start in the next year or so...it will run on the FEC tracks...along with the "All Aboard Florida" high speed rail between Orlando and Miami...It would be a train that runs directly from downtown WPB to downtown Miami, ending at the new station being built east of the old Miami Arena site.

That would be awesome as I think that's a service people from the northern counties would actually use to go to games...unlike the current Tri-Rail line..

futbol in Miami and SoccerPrime repped this.
  13. Lucho305

Lucho305 Member

United States
    Jul 9, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States