MLS Live 2018

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Daniel from Montréal, Jan 29, 2018.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But nobody is being employed making the content, which he also asked about.

mbar repped this.
  2. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    No. This has been explicitly stated and has been already pointed out in this thread. Access to espn cable network streaming will continue to require a cable/satellite/streaming subscription. You will not be able to purchase ESPN, ESPN 2 etc access.

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN + will be a separate service. It is designed for mobile users, and chord cutters.

That said, it will be interesting to see if users will have access to the ESPN cable networks if they are getting internet service only from a cable provider. Some ISP's allowed access to the ESPN networks through their internet service without having a TV subscription.

TheJoeGreene, Soccerglue and Gamecock14 repped this.
  4. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES! ESPN Plus will be available on Apple TV and Roku.

Tony in Quakeland and jayd8888 repped this.
  5. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aside from hating ESPN in general...(I'll spare you the rant). I couldn't be happier with this deal. I get my MLS package and all of the ESPN Plus content for $60 per year. Which includes the D2 Football games that I can't see anywhere else. No brainer!!!

JasonMa repped this.
  6. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Dude.
    Espn+ will not have access to espn networks. It was stated explicitly in the interview by the head of Disney. ESPN+ is what I was discussing. My comment is directly talking about what espn+ will not offer. I am more aware of what it is than you are.
    This is not a hard concept. ESPN has a deal with providers. They cannot offer access to their cable networks directly and stated as such.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, not the networks, but it is possible that some events will be available on both TV and ESPN+. Right now I don't get ESPNU but through the online streams there are some events on ESPNU I can watch. It varies not just by league/sport but by event int hat league/sport. Sometimes I can watch a Pac-12 basketball game that's on ESPNU, sometimes I can't

TheJoeGreene and Gamecock14 repped this.
  8. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    That isn't what was being discussed. You are right sometimes content from ESPN networks is also available (simulcast) via espn3 streams/access.

JasonMa repped this.
  9. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like it’s not going to be ready for the beginning of 5e season. I don’t want to watch on a ********ing laptop at the website. This is starting off on the wrong foot.

Egbert Sousé repped this.
  10. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely NOT what I was referring too....

I was referring to customers who say, get internet access via Xfinity(Comcast) but do not get cable TV. In the past if the ISP had access to ESPN you were still able to watch the networks online via their internet service even if you did not have a cable TV subscription....

TheJoeGreene and JasonMa repped this.
  11. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from MLS

Sachsen and JasonMa repped this.
  12. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    + free for a while
    + cheaper than previously
    + more sports content
    + will reach more casual sports fans, which hopefully leads to more MLS fans and better ratings down the line.

No news yet on Canada & Abroad access, condensed matches and highlights though.

Hope it still will be access-able trough the MLS App, even if it's run as ESPN+

Until all that is known I don't know what to think of it.

Ismitje, TheJoeGreene and JasonMa repped this.
  13. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article gives me some new optimism. It presents this as though MLSLive, as we know it with condensed games and all of that good stuff, will exist within the espn+ platform! Had they said "MLSLIVE will be discontinued and fans may now enjoy all out of market games on espn+" that would infer that we only get live games.

We won't know until we know, but I'm thinking that MLSLIVE may have it's own interface within the new espn+ platform.

Oh, and I'm so happy that I can now finally watch ESPN and espn2 live without a cable bundle!:cool:

mbar repped this.
  14. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    I could be wrong but I think what you are referring to is access to espn3 via your isp. I have never heard of espn access without a subscription. Espn3 does not equal ESPN. It is confusing but they are completely separate things. Sometimes what is on espn is simulcast on espn3 but not always.
    I have comcast/xfinity and they do not offer espn access without a subscription. They do offer espn3 access.

15. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW I emailed MLS Live support and told them the 2 features from MLS Live I would like them to carry over to ESPN + were: 1) condensed games; and 2) the ability to start games from the beginning that are in progress (which seemed to only be a feature on Roku, as far as I've experienced)

They did respond and thanked me for my input, so at least I know it got read...

mbar repped this.
  16. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
  17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Outside of MLS, NHL and MLB that will be in this extra package, we already get most of that for what we are paying now.

Thx,

Jay!

18. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    NHL has added that this year. It's excellent as you don't have to squint, mute and hope your mouse clicks work. I'd also ask for the option to hide the scores.

Thx,

Jay!

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  19. BassNFool

BassNFool Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can also use the MLS app on phones and set top boxes while waiting for ESPN+

Lord Helmet and Soccerglue repped this.
  20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how long they last, but MLB.TV offers condensed games.

http://www.espn.com/watch/schedule/?endDate=20180214&startDate=20180207&type=replay lists replays going back a week, so if that's what they do for MLS I think fans will be happy. You can open a replay without seeing the score.

ESPN3 allows that, but the games open live before you can go back, so unless you start during a commercial or cover part of the screen you will see the score.

21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm confused. I'm moving in with a cord cutter so:

Can I get MLS Live without a cable subscription?
    Can I get games on Fox Sports without a cable subscription?
    Can I get games on ESPN without a cable subscription?
    Can I get games on Univision and Unimas without a cable subscription?
    Can I watch local matches without a cable subscription?

22. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    TheJoeGreene and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It appears that MLS Live will be available without a cable subscription.

Live MLS games on Fox Sports and ESPN require some sort of subscription to those channels. That can be done with streaming services like YouTube TV or DirecTV Now so you don't specifically have to have a cable subscription.

Univision and UniMas can be seen in some areas with an antenna. Otherwise you are probably going to need some sort of subscription.

Local matches would depend on how they are broadcast. Here in Houston most are on KUBE, a broadcast channel, so you wouldn't need cable for that. MLS Live might also work in some markets depending on the blackout policies.

I'm sure if others have different information they can correct this.

profiled repped this.
  24. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As a lifelong member of the rabbit ears brigade, I will try my best to answer your questions.

Can I get MLS Live without a cable subscription? Yes, if you pay.

Can I get games on Fox Sports without a cable subscription? No, unless you purchase Fox Soccer Match Pass (7 day free trial). The old MLS Live had these matches available 48 hours after conclusion.

Can I get games on ESPN without a cable subscription? No. If your ISP gives you access to ESPN3, you can watch the matches there soon after conclusion. Same 48 hour delay on the old MLS Live.

Can I get games on Univision and Unimas without a cable subscription? If you still own a television, you can get these networks over the air depending on your location. 48 hour delay on the old MLS Live.

Can I watch local matches without a cable subscription? Again, it depends on the market. Some teams broadcast these matches on over the air channels. Most do not. Under the old MLS Live, some teams allowed local users to watch the games live; others did not. For those blacked out, you could watch the game as soon as it ended, like with ESPN3.

As you can see, the transition to ESPN+ raises questions about match availability.

Paul Berry and NashSC repped this.
  25. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They worked really really hard at ignoring the handwriting on the wall for far too long and now they're playing catch up.

The money was so good that nobody wanted to see the signs.Now it may be too late.