MLS Live 2018

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Daniel from Montréal, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Anyone know what's going on?

Nothing about the new season on their site or in any communications

Soccerglue and sitruc repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccerglue repped this.
  3. GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo Member+

Jul 1, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  4. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hopefully they'll have an app for firetv this year

5. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Hopefully they go back to the old interface instead of the trash one they used last year.

Namrog The Just repped this.
  6. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    harrylee773 and soccersubjectively repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing the $7.99 was if you paid when last season was almost over.

8. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    If they do that they better release it for Android tv also.

9. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it will be free in standard definition on Yahoo Sports like back in 2004.

Allez RSL repped this.
  10. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really missed the slow motion toggle. I used to give that thing a serious workout.

11. frobisherthepenguin1

Jun 6, 2008
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I really missed the Highlights packages being included with each match alongside the Full and Condensed (on Roku). I don't have time to watch Condensed for EVERY game, but I did like to blow through the other games with the Highlights to keep up to speed. Getting them via the MLS App was much more fiddly and open to being spoiled, so it was really not the same, and I gave up after a while.

RevFan, TheJoeGreene, kennytt and 3 others repped this.
  12. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Amen, losing the highlights option on Roku was a big blow.

Also, an Android TV version of the app is a must. This should have been done 3 years ago. Android TV runs full blown Android and will run any Android App if you side load it. I say this to say they would barely have to tweak their existing Android App to make it native to install and easy to use on Android TV. They don't have to develop a new app from scratch.

13. MonagHusker

MonagHusker Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone else had pointed me to this thread (I started something similar the other day on another sub section). I had some money earmarked for my first MLS Live experience and it's not available for 2018 yet. I had actually asked when it would be available via twitter and their support team said:

"Hello, the 2018 subscription is not available. Please continue to check the site for updates."

Not the most helpful thing -- even had they said a general timeframe -- early February / before the first game....something. :)

14. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When i saw the $7.99 figure, I couldnt believe it ... so I called the mlslive support number. I was told that the $7.99 was NOT for 2018 at all. It was for the archived 2016 and 2017 matches (not sure if that means only for people who hadnt already subscribed in those previous years). I asked several times for clarification, and she assured me it was so ... and that the new years subscription was not yet available.

15. miked9

miked9 Member+

May 4, 2000
    Philadelphia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My earliest memories of watching Clint Dempsey play

16. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    Wish they had highlights from friendlies like last season. Interesting to see if any young US prospects new to the league are performing even though they are only friendlies.

17. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It always seems to be announced and become available distractingly late.

18. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always. I have no idea why they always decide to blow up the old site and start over every year but it usually arrives a day before the first game, complete with a new set of changes and bugs.

BalanceUT repped this.
  19. CoronaOrange

CoronaOrange Member

May 23, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Basically this means they are going to charge additional for all the espn3 streaming content that is currently free through you internet or t.v. provider. This is the opposite of what we want.

He says specifically access to espn network streaming will still require a subscription via your provider.

How many new apps and names can they come up with? Its silly

TheJoeGreene and mbar repped this.
  21. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN has been bleeding subscribers for a long time and the exodus shows no signs of stopping. They are going to try every gimmick imaginable before they finally recognize facts and come to terms with the new cordcutting normal.

Q*bert Jones III and NashSC repped this.
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They're doing all of this because of the cord cutters.

23. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depending on how they structure this, could be good for me. I use Sling TV. Instead of paying an extra $15/month for ESPN, I may be able to pay $5 for all of the content. I'm sure it won't be that simple, though.

BalanceUT repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you watch the interview the head of ESPN says there will be 3 parts to the app. Scores and highlights, streams that you get access too by authenticating through your TV subscription (cable, satellite, etc.), and additional streams added for $4.99 a month. I assume that latter is where MLS Live fits in.

Now yes, I expect some shuffling where some things that are currently free with your TV subscription will end up behind the paywall but in general the ESPN3 streams as they currently are are not going away. That's logical when you consider that the TV providers are paying for that access as part of the contracts set up to carry ESPN.

BalanceUT and sitruc repped this.
  25. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    #25 NashSC, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    This new paid content is what they currently call espn3 (any streaming content that is available without an espn channel subscription) which is currently free and provided by your tv or internet provider. There is nothing telling us that espn3 content will still be free. If so then there is no point in this change at all. I would bet almost anything you are mistaken. No where in the interview does he mention espn3 content staying as is. If it does then what in the world is espn plus going to offer that people would pay monthly for? No where in the interview does he say anything about espn3 content remaining free.