MLS Live 2017

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mjlee22, Jan 22, 2017.

1. deedsy

deedsy Member

Mar 1, 2013
    am I the only one who thinks the picture is blurrier than last year?

Soccerglue repped this.
  2. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Roku app is so slow on the roku stick it is almost unusable. I have been using the roku stick for years and never had this problem. While the device is not lightening fast, all other apps work fine and previous MLS live app worked fine.

When I say it is slow, it is really slow. Navigating around there is a 2 or 3 second delay from pushing the arrow buttons and it actually moving. Clicking on a game there is a 5-10 second delay before the options are displayed.

Still Not seeing any highlight options for the Saturday games.

JasonMa repped this.
  3. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  4. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had ZERO issues on any of my devices yesterday(iPhone, iPad, Chrome on Win10 PC, and Roku). I don't know what any of ya'll are moaning and groaning about. Picture quality and streaming quality were GREATLY improved over past seasons too. Streaming was better then ESPN's Roku App.

tab5g, Kejsare and TopDogg repped this.
  5. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Can you hide your scores?

6. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I can understand all of their frustrations, but I'm not going to lie. I couldn't help but laugh at this poor person here:

This person definitely posts here.

odave, Ismitje, LordRobin and 3 others repped this.
  7. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I can hide scores on iPad. Not only that, but when I select a game in MLS Live, there's even a button that says "Score Spoiler Alert! Tap to reveal"

8. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Sort of cross-posting from the Week 1 thread: I have an older Roku (Roku 2 XS) and it seems to be JUST BARELY able to run the app.

1. It's insanely slow to navigate - as in a 5 second delay between pushing a button and having the corresponding action happen onscreen.

2. It hard crashed 5 times total during yesterday's viewings, which rebooted the Roku.

I'll probably just suck it up, because this is literally the only thing I even use the Roku for at this point (thanks to integrated apps on my TV and others on my PS4). I can't justify purchasing another device to use 1 app.

JasonMa and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  9. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    whiteonrice04 repped this.
  10. Just Offside

Just Offside Member

May 22, 2015
    I think the picture quality has been about the same as last year for me. Got no complaints about that.

11. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't try, as that isn't a feature that I use.

12. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Member

Apr 29, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Had a great experience with MLS Live on all of my Apple stuff. Apple TV, iPhone and iPad all worked great. Streams look great, and the hide scores feature worked. I didn't try the browser version though.

13. RevFan

RevFan Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 1, 1999
    East Lyme, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been using the old Roku Streaming Stick, and after doing some research, I bought the new one Friday. It makes a huge difference. Definitely glad I did. The picture is great and the functionality is quick. (I used my old stick in my other room to watch condensed games this afternoon and definitely noticed the lag of pushing the buttons.)

That being said, there are a few things missing from previous versions:
    1) highlights of games
    2) being able to jump 10 seconds ahead by pressing one of the arrow buttons

Ismitje repped this.
  14. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was using MLS Live while at avaya last night. I use it to look up info on the visiting players, altho last night we had a lot of new players on our roster. But I couldn't get MLS Live on my phone to take me to the player page.

I would click on the player's name and nothing would happen. Anyone else notice this? I ended up having to go to sjearthquakes.com and search the roster that way. I don't know if it was an app problem or a network problem.

15. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I have a Roku 3 and a Roku TV. Navigating is slow on both; there's a definite lag when moving between games, and the lack of a "highlights" cut is annoying me.

That said I feel like it usually takes a couple weeks for whoever it is cutting highlights to find their groove.

16. Ron36pc

Ron36pc Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely get the impression that MLS Live is ESPN's baby now - 1st half of Orl City - NYCFC and ESPN has twice promoted MLS Live - both the pre-game team and Adrian & Taylor during play-by-play commentary ("only thing we watch to catch up on all the games"). Never seen that kind of promo for MLS Live before. (And there was none that I recall on FS1's coverage of Portland-Minnesota Friday night.)

BTW, I followed games all afternoon/evening while catching up on tasks around the house. Good performance of MLS Live on my Roku 3 - started several games late, used rewind & fast forward features with no problems.

Oops, yet another promo by the ESPN halftime crew of MLS Live....

17. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    On PC, there is an option to do that within settings. But no option to save those settings...
    Sooo, not sure what is going on there.

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same device, exact same issues.

I'll give it a couple of weeks since I'll be away from this TV and watching on my iPad anyway (where its worked great). If its still running like this I'll have to consider a Roku upgrade. I guess I could plug my old one into the small TV upstairs.

19. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gotta say, MLS Live on my Android was the best picture of all my streaming options. Xfinity streaming is my go to for ESPN games because the ESPN app bites in terms of quality streaming. (FS1 is passable as well, app functions than ESPN better too) But the MLS Live image was GREAT! Now, it wont beat using my Roku 3 on the HDTV, but as an alternative option when I'm doing stuff around the house I'll be pleased.

20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I broke down and subscribed today. I'm watching Van/Phi live right now, and watched a couple others on replay earlier. Signup took minutes, picture quality great, the usual ridiculous blackouts on too many games and too long after the live broadcast. I don't know how to use VPN or if that's even possible from my Apple TV and don't always want to use my laptop where I can use the VPN.

21. Soccerglue

Soccerglue Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The feed was perfect on my AppleTV but was garbage on my iPad has anyone else had any issues?

22. Harper916

Harper916 Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Lake Charles, La.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched on my iPad last night and the feed was great.

23. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't plan it this way, but I ended up watching MLS Live on all four of my platforms this weekend.

Desktop - Picture quality was sharp and smooth. No complaints there. But as has been pointed out endlessly, it was impossible to hide the scores. Interestingly, I didn't have to login -- it kept me logged in from the last time I accessed it. The old website always made me enter my password.

iPad & iPhone - On both of these, I can't tell any difference from last year. Which is good, because I liked the way it worked last year.

Apple TV - Weird bug: it was showing the scores, not of all the games but of whatever game I had navigated to. I checked the settings, and saw that "scores" was set to "hide". I changed it to "show", went back, and now the scores were hidden. Huh? Playback worked the same as last year.

My take? The switch to a different video back-end went off without a hitch. But the attention given to that big switch likely drew resources away from interface development, because that's where all the issues are.

------RM

JasonMa repped this.
  24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    One other thing: I liked last year's feature where you could click on a game yet to start (on Roku) and it showed you the time, and network, and whether or not it was on MLS Live or blacked out.

That's not available on the new version of the app.

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  25. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the exact same experience and the same - "what?" reaction. But I think there was a bit of backward logic to it - When it said "hide" it was saying click here to hide. Then when I clicked "hide" it said "show" to tell you that you could select show instead.