MLS Live 2017

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mjlee22, Jan 22, 2017.

1. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    I noticed this also and it is fantastic. I love this and this is how all low security web services should work. I had some bozos on here in years past try to tell me that MLS Live should make you log in each time. NO IT SHOULDN'T. I am glad they changed that.

The desktop version doesn't show the network each game is on either. That is ignorant. Previous version did this. If it tells you it is blacked out it gives you no indication of what channel it is on. The Android version gives this information.

2. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    It's a shame because the Roku app has been an example of how to do streaming sports right, IMO, the past few years. Its one of the few purchases I've always help out to be damn near perfect and this incarnation of it is kind of garbage.

JasonMa and whiteonrice04 repped this.
  3. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I will say, their customer service has been pretty brutally tone deaf. The support forums are actually kind of hilarious, in that after a while the automated replies double back and start asking questions that have been answered ohhhh about a dozen times already. After a number of emails over a few days, I still haven't received a response from a human being.

I'm no programming wizard, but the hide scores thing is a fairly major sticking point for a lot of people that seems like it should be a very simple fix. I'm sure it'll get fixed but, like, what gives?

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  4. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mk2.jpg
    You can't get any decent help from online streamings !!

5. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I found this email address for Chris Schlosser, MLS Digital Chief, on Big Soccer: Chris@MLSsoccer.com. Let him know about problems you are having with MLS Live.

6. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a response from support today finally acknowledging that they understand the saving hide scores issue on desktop. He says they expect to have a fix shortly.
    Hopefully this is true.

8. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    You are right. Fixing something like that should be extremely easy. Getting the fix live is probably more difficult and they probably only update the live site/app at prescheduled times.
    A key feature like that should have never made it to production without working. Bugs will happen but that is absurd. A simple toggle like that we are talking about a true/false (bit) value being saved to a database for each user and a simple if statement to check it. A lot of what they built is extremely complex but the hide scores part couldn't be simpler.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things that appear simple aren't always under the covers.

That's no excuse for it making to Production broken, but don't assume it was a simple thing.

10. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'd even be pretty forgiving if they just came out and said that. But they haven't said anything. When it comes to customer service stuff, I rarely blow a gasket because I work in a public-facing role and know that about 80 times out of 10 it's never the fault of the person you are talking to. But man, I don't think I've interacted with one human being in my travails with MLS Live this year. Tweet Schlosser, he tells you to tweet MLS Live, MLS Live tells you to email customer service, customer service tells you to tweet them.

So I'm predisposed to be thinking the very worst of them and their capabilities right now. :D

whiteonrice04 and JasonMa repped this.
  11. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    MLS Live appears to have fixed the Show/Hide Scores and Favorite Team preferences for Windows computer users. That it launched the season with such an egregious flaw, even after users alerted it, is shocking.

Chris Schlosser replied to my email yesterday. I don't know if I had any impact.

whiteonrice04, LimeTree and Just Offside repped this.
  12. LimeTree

LimeTree Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Wellllll wellllll wellllllllll, it works (Macbook)! I guess I can stfu now. :oops:

Geneva repped this.
  13. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Sure but if the show hide score thing is difficult under the covers it is only because they made it that way. There is no other way that functionality could be hard. Literally one of the most simple things you could program.

1 or 0 true or false

14. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just read a WSJ article where the head of Baidu said that AI can now replace any task that only requires one second of thought.

MLS has clearly already implemented such AI into their customer support.

matbluvenger repped this.
  15. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anyone see if they managed to get the hide scores feature squared away yet?
    If they did, I will buy it today, but that will tilt me too much especially when I try to watch the condensed games in the morning.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tried to use TunnelBear on my iPad to watch today's games from here in London but either I'm doing something wrong or MLS Live is beating TunnelBear as I'm still getting a "not available due to blackout" when trying to watch any game on the app (including last week's games).

17. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Is anyone else getting highlight option in the roku app? This has always been an option in the past.

Also, I have always hated how the only way you can watch highlights in the Android app is by going to the video and highlights section and the video thumbnails tell you what happens in the game. There is no way to watch highlights without the result being spoiled before you start the video.

I used to be able use the roku app to watch highlights spoil free.

Frustrated.

I can't be the only one that wants to watch highlights without knowing the results before

Nidal Baba Superstar repped this.
  18. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got around the Univision blackout with TunnelBear on a PC (Chrome extension) yesterday. But I'm in country.

19. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Yeah highlights still not available on Roku. It's annoying and being able to get through a weekends games in an hour was pretty great

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  20. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Hopefully they'll package those "all game" highlights in some other show/medium (available and easily accessible across platforms) soon.

Does the league post them the YouTube?

21. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use AppleTV, and when I select a game, I can only choose between full replay and Condensed versions. Is that what you are talking about, did Highlight used to be a choice there? I don't remember.

I think on the AppleTV, the only way to see highlights is to go to one of the Channels. I think there's a channel for highlights. I'm on the ipad right now, and it doesn't have channels, but highlights are a drop down on the News and Videos menu.

22. Ben7

Ben7 Member

Jan 14, 2007
    There used to be a third option > highlights.
    It's gone now, not sure why.

Also there seem to be less "channels".

The "highlights" only one now features 2 sorts of highlights, full ones and some other ones, which is confusing to say at least...

23. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for confirming. I guess that's what whiteonrice04 is complaining about?

24. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First....I think the picture quality is better on MLS Live than most on my Directv. Second...I watch primarily on Apple TV and I remember during halftime there used to be highlights or shows from the MLS web site but I did not see any so far this year. Has anyone noticed that?

25. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but for the national broadcast games they wait 48 hours to post them. You can watch the brief highlights at mlssoccer.com soon after the game. They post "extended" 4 minute highlights later.