MLS, Liga MX 8 team tournament

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by firefan2001, Feb 2, 2019.

1. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    This was already tried last decade, and it went absolutely nowhere. The start for that version was like 100x more popular than this version. This tourney is DOA.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's cancelled next year.

NashSC repped this.
  2. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already expanded it to 16 teams next year and talking about making it a 32 teams tournament in 2021.

crookeddy, Soccerglue and AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  3. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right but I doubt they consider this year a failure. Money made out of nothing with decently attended matches with reasonable tv viewership.

They should give it an honest effort next year (better mls scheduling and promotion) and see what it looks like. If it’s not better competitively (ie the mls team’s actually try) then cancel it.

4. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Promotion/Relegation...here we go again. ;)
    Just kidding.

Soccerglue and MPNumber9 repped this.
  5. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    The MX teams didn't try either.

sidspaceman repped this.
  6. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Playing their starting 11 from league matches is not trying? Interesting. Would love to see what trying looks like.

Soccerglue repped this.
  7. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    They didn't play their starting 11s, plus they took it easy on the pitch since these games were meaningless.

If you want to see what happens when both leagues play best XIs, and try, check out the CCL results.

8. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Can I focus on the 2018 champion's league?

9. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    All Liga MX teams did play their starting 11. I follow both leagues but for those that don't follow Liga MX all you have to do is Google the line ups. Tijuana had the exact same line up they used against Puebla to go up against LA Galaxy. Enrique Bonilla did advise that all Liga MX teams take the cup seriously and to play with their best line ups. The entire point of this Cup is for Liga MX to replace it with Copa Libertadores.

Soccerglue and NashSC repped this.
  10. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    #385 NashSC, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    What? I think you watched something else. Normal starting 11's were played.

LA Galaxy C squad beat Tijuana starting 11.

Club America only started 2 or 3 different guys against Houston than their league starting 11. Same for Cruz Azul against Chicago. Tigres had the most difference but still played most of their normal starting 11.

Stupid_American and Soccerglue repped this.
  11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Well to be fair, Galaxy only tied them.

12. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Go for it, but it was the exception, not the norm.
    LOL, I can't think of a non-offensive analogy here to describe how ridiculous this is. A mega prestigious continental tournament with a friendly kickabout on par with the ICC. My word.

But whatever, the point is that this tourney is an exhibition, and does not prove anything. The CCL is the only proving ground.

13. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You are right, it is an exhibition just for Liga MX teams. That is why they risked their starting players of injury and fatigue for a meaningless tournament. Unlike MLS who took it very seriously and fielded teams who had second stringers and academy players.

firefan2001 and NashSC repped this.
  14. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
  15. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    A trophy truly worthy of this tournament.

It's called FOOTBALL and ElNaranja repped this.
  16. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Yeah, he's right. If we had games in Mexico this would be a great tournament, though MLS probably wouldn't be able to deal with the travel.

18. STR1

STR1 Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 29, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I saw that. But what was also interesting was what Ricardo Pelaez replied to Victor Garces. The goal of every institution is to win titles, the league being the most important one. If you can't win the league then you try to win whatever presents itself. If you don't care about the Leagues Cup or any other Cup (Copa MX) just request to have Cruz Azul play and compete only for the Liga MX title. (Which this last part caught my attention as I wasn't aware teams could actually decline to compete in any extracurricular tournaments).

Good point of views from both sides. One from the Sports Director and the other from one of the owners of Cruz Azul. I guess it just depends on the ambition each person in charge has. It is a big club, small club mentality.

19. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but you also might say that it looks like a toilet seat.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  20. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    They didn't risk, the players didn't give their all. Rewatch the games.

No one said this league took it seriously either. Read the posts fully before responding.

Both leagues treated it like the friendly kickabout it is.
    That really wouldn't change much, because it would still be a friendly, nonofficial tourney. Nothing is at stake.

The CCL is where it's at, and that's never going to change.

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    You don't get to decide what's real and what isn't. Games are played with official rules, and with some kind of money and trophy at stake. Only history gets to decide what matters and what doesn't.

22. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    lol, you're right, I don't, FIFA and CONCACAF does.

The CCL is the official club championship, the only way to the official world championship. That simply cannot be trumped, history has and will continue to prove this. This tourney isn't even Europe League level, it's not even the official tier 2 CONCACAF tournament, which will probably never exist.

This is on par with the ICC, and will never prove anything, just like the ICC doesn't. The CCL shows which league is better, and that's that.

carnifex2005 repped this.
  23. Simster

Simster Member

May 16, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Brighton & Hove Albion FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #399 Simster, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Probably true. Also probably true to say that nobody outside North America gives a monkeys about the Mexican league - I love the sport and yet didn't even know the league's name until I came onto these boards. It's a tin-pot backwater league that is light-years behind the big European leagues and has produced one (or maybe two?) world class players in living memory. You've never won a Copa Libertadores in 20 years of trying.

So you getting all uppity about how much better it is than MLS - played in countries where soccer is maybe #4 team sport in terms of popularity, is pure chuckles. In fact it probably won't be long before MLS is better than the Mexican league, just as the rest of Latin America already is.

24. ElNaranja

ElNaranja Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 16, 2017
    Since when has the rest of Latin America passed Mexico? Brazil and maybe Argentina...and who else?

The answer is no one.

And we can, and have, made massive strides to get closer to Liga MX but there is a way to go before we pass them as a league. So so far.