MLS In Minnesota Is Great, But They Have To Change The Name Of The Team

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by DaveBrett, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With lengthy breaks in the middle.

2. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, D.C. United is just the name of the team and the team's nickname is "the Black and Red." Similarly, Manchester United is just the name of the team and the team nickname is "the Red Devils." Likewise, West Ham(mersmith) United is the name of the team and the team nickname is "the Hammers."

3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got it.

4. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Aside from our TV announcer Dave Johnson "Black and Red" is nearly never used. Nicknames are a euro practice that probably will not take hold in the U.S., at least in terms of use by the media. As for the Pacific Northwest teams' names dating to 1974, the only way to obtain an iconic name is to pick something that probably seems stupid at the time and hang on to it for a while.

It would be interesting to focus group team names with the more casual fans that we need if TV rating are ever to significantly improve. Maybe they would be fine with endless matchups between teams named "FC" and "United." But those unique (if a little goofy) Cascadia names, along with rabidly enthusiastic game day fans, seem result in pretty strong branding.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love "Sounders", "Whitecaps" and "Timbers". I'm not keen on most of the other Americanized names but I wish they'd stop aping British ones.

The One X repped this.
  6. Sykotyk

Sykotyk Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vikes, Pack, Da Bears, Brownies, Stillers, G-Men, Pats, Hawks, Skins, Iggles, Jags, Phins/Fins, Bucs, Boys, Bolts, and Niners.

Or the Bronx Bombers. Or the Tribe. Then you have the nicknames that become names. The Phillies, the Pirates, the Sixers, the Knicks, the Sonics, etc.

Sure, they're variations of the non-city/club part of the name, but they are widely used and widely known. Nobody who hears 'Vikes' when discussing sports is going to question which team you're talking about. Or, colloquially, the Twinkies referencing the Twins.

American clubs have tried to institutionalize the nickname into the name. But that just derives even further nicknames by fans and media. Especially when the names are long. Even some of the names are shortened before they start. Rays and T-Wolves, or D-Backs, or Mets (Metropolitans) or Cosmos (Cosmopolitans). Some official, some just spawned by the fans immediately.

Unak78 and 4four4 repped this.
  7. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a surprise to many supporters of D.C. United; namely, the Black and Red United website, the Screaming Eagles and many others. Our local newspaper of record, the Washington Post, when it carries MLS standings, refers to teams with traditional team names simply by the geographic name of the cities in which they are located and teams with Euro-centric names appropriately as D.C. United, Sporting K.C., Real Salt Lake, Toronto F.C., Orlando City S.C., New York City F.C.,and F.C. Dallas.

There is no confusion and, frankly, it doesn't make much difference to fans.

8. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they should change the names of New York City, Kansas City and Salt Lake City so people don't get them confused.

Unak78 repped this.
  9. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Every team should be called either Bulldogs or Tigers. See: easy.

Unak78 repped this.
  10. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    It's pretty pointless to argue with other DCU fans who are fine with two MLS expansion teams also named United. It just seems strange that at a time when branding is considered so important in pro sports, the position is advanced that names don't matter. And colors, logos, etc. are also in themselves meaningless. But together they comprise an identity that should be somewhat distinctive. I suppose the Atlanta and Minnesota owners know what they are doing. I've always thought "United" was a decent enough name, but remain perplexed as to why two new owners find it irresistible.

11. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably because it has something to do with tradition. That's why Kevin Payne rejected the Nike skateboard-kid inspired name "Washington Spies" and insisted on simple, tradition-infused colors and uniforms.

Unak78 repped this.
  12. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    I have to admit, this post is more entertaining than anything I've posted recently. And it got me to look up something I've been meaning to for a long time. When I was a kid the Washington Senators were still in DC, and I remember they were often called the Nats. Why? I knew that the Senators moved to Minnesota for the 1961 season and became the Minnesota Twins, and shortly after were replaced with a new Senators team. What I didn't know was that although commonly known as the Senators, the team was officially the Washington Nationals from 1905 to 1956, although few persons used that name, except as part of the nickname "Nats", which was often applied to the team right up until they moved to Texas. That's a name/nickname story that rivals anything from the euro leagues.

Imagine any team voluntarily using the name "Senators" these days....

blacksun and tallguy repped this.
  13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You mean like the Ottawa Senators (NHL)? Or Binghamton Senators (AHL)? Or Harrisburg Senators (AA baseball)?

Unak78 and The Franchise repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #189 xtomx, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Why would you say West Ham(mersmith) United?

West Ham has nothing whatsoever to do with Hammersmith (in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham) in West London.
    West Ham is named after the West Ham neighborhood in London Borough of Newham in East London.

Hammersmith and West Ham are well over an hour apart from each other on opposite ends of London.

15. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since West Ham Uniteds' nickname is "the Hammers" I assumed that the two were related. Perhaps, WHU started out in Hammersmith and moved across town. Otherwise, how did they get the nickname?

16. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #191 Paul Berry, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    They were founded as Thames Ironworks and play in East Ham. They're known as The Irons and The Hammers.

[​IMG]
    Oh and the castle is for Old Castle Swifts, a predecessor of the Thames Ironworks, which was named for the Castle-Union shipping company.

Unak78, Bluecat82, 4four4 and 2 others repped this.
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me! I wouldn't mind if those miserable bastards froze to death!

18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(

19. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria

I always like seeing how Europeans chant at basketball and hockey matches every bit as much as they do footie. Imagine FC Porto fans chanting at competitive fishing.......

I'm just surprised not to see that this entire highlight wasn't Barca players taking phantom charges the entire time...

20. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't believe DC didn't bring back "Diplomats" aka "Dips" from the early 70s NASL days.
    Always loved listening to Mississippi State v Georgia games on the radio. State's announcer Jack Cristil would clarify things near the beginning of his broadcast, "When I'm speaking of Mississippi State, I'll refer to them as 'State' or 'the Bulldogs'. When I'm speaking of Georgia, I'll use 'Georgia' or maybe 'the red clay Bulldogs'."

21. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS didn't want anything to do with NASL when it was formed and by the time the stink of NASL had worn off MLS, DC United was already associated with a successful MLS club, so the switch to the NASL name wasn't necessary.

Unak78 and The Franchise repped this.
  22. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should have used a sarcasm font. I was a Diplomats fan, but "Dips" was a pretty horrible nickname. Even worse when they put "DIPS" on their jerseys.
    [​IMG]

Unak78 and Yoshou repped this.
  23. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's been a Minnesota Lightning and a Minnesota Thunder, how about The Minnesota Clap?

24. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't wait to see their rivalry trophy with the Dallas Burn

Unak78 and phedre44 repped this.
  25. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even better if FC Dallas changes their name to Soccer Team Dallas.