MLS In Minnesota Is Great, But They Have To Change The Name Of The Team

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by DaveBrett, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Minnesota United FC makes some sense because twin cities rivalry.

But Atlanta United FC doesn't make much sense to me.

Atlanta Football Club, simple, clean, clear...

In Europe because they are assotiation/community clubs - not franchise clubs - and multi-sports clubs this elements are included.

United, Sporting, Union, Athletics, Association and Club the most used terms. Olimpic also reflects multisports teams.

2. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, no. No one cares. How many sports does Manchester United have? Wigan Athletic? Everton Football Club?

3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. If the name translates to butts in seats, a cool logo, and a team I can proudly hate in a decade or two (Columbus! Columbus!), who cares what it's called?

4. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA City, Orlando City, LA City.
    DC United, Atlanta United, Miami United (if Beckham has his way).

Maybe teams shouldn't have the same colors either.

5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is your point that there aren't multsport clubs elsewhere?

Glasgow Rangers - motor racing
    Real Madrid - basketball
    Atlético Madrid- motor racing, handball
    Red Star Belgrade - basketball
    Maccabi Tel Aviv - basketball
    Paris St-Germain - handball
    Ajax of Amsterdam - baseball
    CSKA Moscow (ice) hockey
    CSKA Sofia - (ice) hockey
    Fenerbahçe - basketball
    FC Barcelona - basketball
    Panathinaikos - basketball
    Lazio - rugby union
    Grasshoppers of Zurich - rowing, (ice) hockey, handball, lawn tennis, court tennis, field hockey, curling, rugby, squash, unihockey, beach soccer
    RSC Anderlecht - motor racing
    Sparta Prague - cycling, basketball, (ice) hockey, rugby union
    APOEL Nicosia - basketball, volleyball, futsal, table tennis, bowling, cycling, archery, swimming, water polo
    Legia Warsaw - basketball
    SD Budućnost Podgorica - basketball, volleyball, handball, rugby, shooting, judo, boxing, tennis
    Olympique Lyonnais - motor racing
    FC Porto - basketball, billiards, boxing, cycling, handball, roller hockey, swimming
    C.S. Maratimo - futsal, track and field, figure skating, fishing(!!), karate, kart racing, motor rallying, rhythmic gymnastics, roller hockey, rugby union, swimming
    Boavista - chess(!!!), gymnastics, bicycle racing, futsal, volleyball, rink hockey, boxing

and on and on and on

6. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. That wasn't my point. You seem new around here, so let me explain, I make the point I make, and not the point you want me to.

The terms you used are not exclusively used for multi-sport clubs. So, your entire argument is wasted.

Unak78 and edwardgr repped this.
  7. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What was your point?

8. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His point, and frankly I cannot believe that I have to spell this out as it was painfully obvious, is that the use of monikers such as Athletic, United, Club, Olympic, Sporting, et al are not indicative of a multi-sport entity operating under the same ownership umbrella, nor in the case of United is it an indication that multiple entities united into one.

Paulo PT is the most recent in a long line of posters to state that teams in the US using United do not make sense because nothing was being united, and then went on to state that other names like those mentioned above held specific connotation, Anchowat was pointing out that this is not true in all cases. And thus Atlanta's name is no more out of place than any of the examples Anchowat provided.

9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but it still sucks as a name. ;)

The Franchise and edwardgr repped this.
  10. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Twin Cities Guardians FC or Minnesota Guardians FC

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about I Don't Care What They Name The Club Because Some Assholes On The Internet Will Complain Whatever It Is Anyway SCFC United.

If that won't fit on the crest, just go with STFUFC.

12. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    And? Can't we discuss alternative names? How about No Name FC? ahah

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Portuguese humor, everyone! Drink it in...

14. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    #139 Unak78, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

edwardgr repped this.
  15. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wait, so there will be three teams in MLS using the name Minnesota?
    I may be crazy, but it would seem to me that Atlanta, DC and Minnesota clubs, united or not, will be referred to as Atlanta, DC and Minnesota regardless of what comes next. This is certain in conversations outside of their home bases, and inside of those bases to whom the United refers should be pretty obvious.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  17. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some English and Welsh clubs who changed their names

Newton Heath Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway to Manchester United
    Ardwick FC to Manchester City
    Stanley to Newcastle United
    Swansea Town to Swansea City after Swansea received the Queen's charter and became a city.
    Fulham St Andrew’s Church Sunday School FC then Fulham Excelsior to Fulham
    Everton FC and Athletic Grounds Ltd to Liverpool
    Everton St Domingo’s to Everton
    West Bromwich Strollers to West Bromwich Albion
    Sunderland & District Teachers AFC to AFC Sunderland AFC
    Riverside A.F.C to Cardiff City
    Leeds City were renamed Leeds United after a bribery scandal during WW1 and have been allegedly been cheats ever since (Brian Clough ordered their players to throw their medals for that reason).

18. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Twin Cities Football Club would be, generally, sweet.

19. CoconutMonkey

CoconutMonkey Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Japan
    Club:
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not bad at all.

20. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much like DC United, everyone knows that the Twins and Vikings and Wild and Timberwolves are teams for the Twin Cities, but none of them have that in their name.

21. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  22. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    #147 Brian in Boston, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    It won't happen, but Bill McGuire and the rest of the Minnesota United FC ownership group should collectively tell Don Garber and the MLS front-office suits to "get bent" with regard to the renaming of the team.

Minnesota United FC's identity has been in place since March 15, 2013. As such, the team has borne the United moniker 2 years, 4 months, 2 weeks, and 2 days longer than Atlanta United FC has sported the name. That's 2-plus years of brand equity that Minnesota United FC is being asked to toss aside in order to appease Don Garber's desire to bootlick Arthur Blank.

Hell, Major League Soccer couldn't be bothered to register the Atlanta United FC name with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office until more than a year after Garber-and-Company had granted the Falcons owner MLS investor/operator rights. The league took even longer to register the team's logo with USPTO and reveal the Atlanta United FC identity to supporters. So, despite being awarded a Major League Soccer expansion opportunity nearly a year after Atlanta, Minnesota's MLS team was known by the United brand more than 3 months before Blank's NFL off-season Mercedes-Benz Stadium date-filler deigned to unveil its identity.

But, hey... why do right by an existing soccer club that has committed to the MLS vision of having its member-franchises play in appropriately-sized, soccer-specific stadia - a facility featuring a natural grass playing surface, no less - when you can cater to the whims of a johnny-come-lately to the sport of soccer whose MLS team will play second-fiddle to his National Football League franchise in a multipurpose, retractable-roofed, synthetic-turfed, downsized mega-stadium?

Unak78 and 4four4 repped this.
  23. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Wow, all that history, huh? I can see why they wouldn't want to change it.

blacksun and American Brummie repped this.
  24. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    Minnesota United FC's three years of existence under said brand may not strike you as being impressive, but history and heritage and tradition are cumulative. If an entity - in this case, a soccer team - is forced to abandon its traditions - including its name - on a whim after three years, than the chances of building a continuity of true long-term history and heritage are stymied.

It was under the Minnesota United FC banner that professional soccer in the Twin Cities stabilized to the point of attracting the attention of of MLS, the longest-lasting and most successful major professional soccer league in the history of the United States and Canada. Indeed, it was under the Minnesota United FC banner that the team was invited to join MLS, thus returning top-flight pro soccer to the State of Minnesota. Those are significant accomplishments. That being the case, why abandon the identity under which said achievements occurred?

25. Seth Johnson

Seth Johnson New Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    I agree the name Minnesota United FC does sound repetitive especially with Atlanta United FC coming into the league. I feel that Minnesota should change its name but keep the loon influence on the crest if they were to change the name. The "Minnesota Loons"?