MLS in Austin

Discussion in 'Austin FC' started by POdinCowtown, Dec 5, 2018.

1. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    #51 wingman2468, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Like i said earlier, its a nickname dude/dudette. If a nickname helps people who grew up supporting a different league create an alliance with an american soccer team (ATXFC), then so be it. The Mexican soccer community was part of the appeal to come to Austin in the first place, and you seem to not like that idea, among other things..

What youre saying is basically since youre from America, you should never watch the English premier league, or use references that relate to the EPL like #COYS which is highly replicated around the world.

@POdinCowtown probably should not continue to contribute to this page if all you really want to do is go back and gossip with your peers on another thread. @Sport Billy ^

Me too;)

Mr. Bandwagon and Jay34 repped this.
  2. MjrGrubert

MjrGrubert BigSoccer Supporter

May 22, 2003
    Whitefish, MT
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #52 MjrGrubert, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    The "viewpoint" is one that many brave men and women have sacrificed their lives to fight against.
    Artfully couched but disgraceful.
    Thanks for the post.

Jay34 repped this.
  3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes, I thought it went without saying but of course my comments are my own and I'm not speaking on behalf of AO or anyone else.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'm all for recruiting new fans to MLS. Of course the various Hispandering efforts over the years have mostly failed. Raising the quality of play (including many Latino players) on the other hand has worked to bring in new fans of all ethnicities.

I'm not sure what COYS is but I've no objection to anyone from anywhere enjoying the beautiful game. My objection is to Americans rooting for other teams against America, especially our biggest rival. If you are saying the Austin fans cheering for El Tri aren't Americans, fine. But as part of naturalization, one must renounce old political allegiances. The same should apply to sports allegiances too if one wants to be fully American. I don't care if former Mexicans prefer El Tri to Brazil or Honduras. I do care if they are cheering for the US to lose.

5. AustinSoccerBro

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Dec 2, 2018
    How does the use of #ElTree indicate someone is rooting against the USMNT?

Mr. Bandwagon and DonJuego repped this.
  6. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    That has never been what anyone has said and you continue to make false assumptions.
    You do not have to be american to love Austin FC
    You could've just said that

Instead you chose to go on a rant on another thread making false accusations to belittle or pander to Columbus fans. The various rumors you try and spread are Childish and unwanted. Its better if you do not have access to this forum, which i will work on. @Ismitje

Mr. Bandwagon repped this.
  7. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Reread his post and keep the focus on USMNT v. MNT, not Austin FC. P.S. Just because I understand his post, does not mean I agree with any of it. Pandering to what Crew fans? I've not seen this a topic of discussion there, not sure what you're on about. There are so many good openings to tear that ideology apart, go grab one and pull.

8. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    POD - stop with this political nonsense. It has no place in this thread.

9. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Podincowtown, a moderator of all people, should know there's no reason for him to be involved in both Columbus and Austin conversations. If he cant refrain from causing conflict in this forum then its best he be removed by another moderator who may be less opinionated.

10. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    @Draghignazzo this is what I'm referring to. You came into the conversation late. This is what started the crazy talk from Pod who was trying to justify his position. the conversation was over, about the same time you entered. There's no need to discuss further.

Edit: Didnt realize you couldnt see the original quotes from PodinCowtown. you can read back and find it if its that important to you.

11. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Wrong again. I read the whole thing. I was not late to anything, I simply had nothing to say, until you specifically started conflated his opinions with some collective group-think in Columbus. If you or Jay had read past what he posted in the Crew forums, you'd have seen he got shouted down there too for the same opinions, and by none other than your favorite Timon. What I'm pointing out was was your hackneyed attempt to paint all Crew fans with his nonsense. Stop backpeddling; own it and move on. We're done here. This horse is dead.

12. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    #62 POdinCowtown, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2018
    Ok.

13. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    I literally called out one person.

14. Jay34

Jay34 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    Aug 26, 2018
    Austin, TX
    That he did. Of course he also called us a bunch of neckbeards, too, so... :shrug:

15. Shawn Collins

Shawn Collins Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 22, 2018
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My team is the USMNT and I am totally into "El Tree" as a nickname for Austin FC.

16. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. unlikelyfan19

unlikelyfan19 Member

Fiorentina
    United States
    May 29, 2018
    From what we have heard they have been selling well, but most likely a algorithm error built in to fanatics that bugged or something and shot the price up.

Also, yes, on the apple building. Same part of town and probably only about a 5 minute drive. They already just finished a 10,0000 person campus down the street from my house, now this one got announced. Pretty incredible.

18. loonytoony

loonytoony Member

Newcastle
    Sep 6, 2018
    Austin, TX
    Hey now 110, don't cheap out, it's our first Christmas together.. :inlove:

Yes pretty close indeed. This part of Austin is our tech area - you've got Apple, Facebook, Dell, Google, IBM, TI, Cisco, Samsung, Indeed, 3M, etc etc all in relatively close proximity. I imagine one or more of them will be our sponsors once this all becomes official.

See here for IBM's beastly new campus just up the road from Mckalla: https://communityimpact.com/austin/...development-of-ibm-broadmoor-campus-released/

Jay34 repped this.
  19. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Gensler's Corporate office released a Dialogue with the Austin FC Stadium as its feature, alongside Golden State Warriors Chase Center, Cleveland Caveliers new Arena, and the LAFC Training Facility.

THE CHANGING
    FACE OF
    SPORTS ARENAS

Today’s sports venues are a new, digital-savvy mix of placemaking and socializing

https://www.gensler.com/research-insight/publications/dialogue/32/the-changing-face-of-sports-arenas

The amount of pride that Gensler is taking for their Design of the Austin FC stadium cannot be understated. Not to mention that since Gensler designed the beautiful Banc of California Stadium, we are bound to have a gorgeous community asset. Cant wait!

20. Shawn Collins

Shawn Collins Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 22, 2018
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article does not stand up to a careful reading. The author extrapolates the Judge's statements to reach unsupported conclusions.

jaykoz3 and POdinCowtown repped this.
  22. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Very much this.

23. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Well, it's hard to distinguish "Vamos El Tri" from "Vamos El Tree" when people are yelling it.

24. AustinSoccerBro

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Dec 2, 2018
    New question - How does shouting either Vamos El Tree or Vamos El Tri indicate someone is rooting against the US, unless USMNT is playing Mexico?

25. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does that matter? El Tree will never play El Tri, so no one will ever be confused. For me, it is funny and playful. Admittedly not as heavy as “massive,” but I like that. We need more funny and playful and less weight.